Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

I would love to see the server split off to give players the option for Luclin. Basically copy the existing server and and keep patching the new server through Luclin while leaving the original one locked.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 07-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would love to see the server split off to give players the option for Luclin. Basically copy the existing server and and keep patching the new server through Luclin while leaving the original one locked.
What does this provide that other servers do not already provide? is it the idea that if it splits the new luclin p99 will have the same great community with a steady population?

will there be these same posts requesting PoP be added to keep the Luclin server from being stale after the top two guilds hold the best content for x amount of years? will there be a request to keep the Luclin server locked but split so a PoP server can exist?

"I mean, I want my auto teleporters, bazaar bots, merc bots and instances so my classic EQ nostalgia feels legit. Please me."

We have different ideas of what classic is and tbh with all of you, to me, pre-kunark eq was "classic" and a cohesive world. Kunark and Velious are wasteland expansions rushed out the door to keep subscribers in a time where such a thing could exist. Over time the focus of a massive RPG you could share with others took a backseat to "Video Game". Kraddok said it already, "even music didn't want to go there"
Last edited by Mblake1981; 07-09-2018 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: added legit Kraddok point.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

If you play here for nostalgia, then it's no shock it gets old. Nostalgia's always fleeting.

I'm not nostalgic for old EQ. I was an adult when it came out and the wife and I both well remember its poor management and problems all too well. It took only a few short years before that game morphed from something I liked, into something I did not. I've no interest in re-living that! That's the great weakness of the MMO/RPG genre, and of expansion-driven business models more generally. Even if you find a game you like, you get to watch it slowly break apart in front of you until you can't stand the thing anymore. It stinks.

P1999's no nostalgia fix. Rather, it's a version of EQ that takes away the parts that drove me out of the game the first time around. It works; I've spent far more time here than I did in the original. The fixed era might be regarded as a weakness, but it's a tolerable weakness. It if gets old sometimes, well, so do my other hobbies as well. That's why I have hobbies (emphasis on plural) and don't try to fixate on any single activity. P1999 works well for what it is and I'm glad to have it always available.

Danth
Old 07-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you play here for nostalgia, then it's no shock it gets old. Nostalgia's always fleeting.

I'm not nostalgic for old EQ. I was an adult when it came out and the wife and I both well remember its poor management and problems all too well. It took only a few short years before that game morphed from something I liked, into something I did not. I've no interest in re-living that! That's the great weakness of the MMO/RPG genre, and of expansion-driven business models more generally. Even if you find a game you like, you get to watch it slowly break apart in front of you until you can't stand the thing anymore. It stinks.

P1999's no nostalgia fix. Rather, it's a version of EQ that takes away the parts that drove me out of the game the first time around. It works; I've spent far more time here than I did in the original. The fixed era might be regarded as a weakness, but it's a tolerable weakness. It if gets old sometimes, well, so do my other hobbies as well. That's why I have hobbies (emphasis on plural) and don't try to fixate on any single activity. P1999 works well for what it is and I'm glad to have it always available.

Danth
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth
pras
Old 07-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Kobold

It would be an interesting experiment to see what would happen if P99 launched a progression server up to PoP. Same rules as current blue server, add a P99 spin and don't include the bazaar, mounts or PoP books. That said, it looks like current dev support has been watered down between some of the other EQ emu projects, and if Pantheon turns out to be what they claim, dev free time will be even lower.

For all the bazaar hate though, sitting in EC for what can be days of your playtime to either buy or sell something is painful.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Nostalgia is like a drug and one can build up a tolerance for Nostalgia. Put the mouse and keyboard down for a bit. Then come back later ready for that first blast off of Nostalgia again.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Fire Giant

You guys talk about Luclin like the devs can just insert a CD and install it to the server.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Kobold

It's always weird to me how many people have an absolute disdain for anything after Velious, when Classic to Velious is such a tiny part of Everquest's history.

I didn't start playing until partway through Velious (EQ Trilogy was the first thing I bought) and continued playing until partway through The Serpent's Spine. The main reason I quit was because most of my guild left for WoW.

I personally think that PoP era is the best part of EQ, and would much prefer to play on a server like TAKP or P2002 and I feel that many other players feel the same way. However, the main thing keeping many of these players on P99 is the large playerbase and quality of management, rather than only enjoying content between classic and velious. So, many hope (in vain) that the professional staff of P99 will change their minds and decide to progress past velious and continue to develop the server, which is why they haven't moved on to other projects.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Fire Giant

Luclin was good.
Closed Thread