Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dual shields option
ha love it

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Pantheon Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for stopping by our part of the internet sir =)

Tell Brad not to let the copper counters push it out too soon! I was an alpha tester on Vanguard and enjoyed it for years...even with the disaster of a launch. If Pantheon is anything like VG I will give you lots of my money over the years.
The idea is to have a long Alpha and long Beta to get it right this time. We all remember the launch experience of Vanguard, so optimization, scope, and performance (as well as the time needed to refine them) is ever present in our plans.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We've got a couple interviews with Ten Ton Hammer and ZAM up today, as well as the aforementioned Crusader class information. There'll be more Q&A vids to come soon as well.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

I read this comment on the kickstarter comments list:
Quote:
Christopher Estep about 3 hours ago

I think there needs to be a new way to "camp" items. I'm sorry, but killing a ph every 6 minutes until a rare spawn that MIGHT drop what you want IS boring. I don't know what the solution is, but sitting and doing the exact same thing for hours on end can't be the best idea that one could come up with. I like extreme effort for great rewards but that effort should be something better than "wait...pop...kill...repeat"

There's got to be a better way to have exceptionally great and rare loot require extreme effect without mindless repetition.
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE! Of all the old school mechanics in EQ1 - love em or hate em - I hated the camping mechanics! I think of all of them, that's the one I'd want killed first or redone totally.

I LIKED the kiting mechanics and root/snare/cc/debuff/etc. Glad to hear Brad wants those in Pantheon. I'd be even happier if he found a way to make it more interesting. Figuring out a camp is fun but not camping. Part of figuring out a camp was being able to kite and do all these other nifty tricks!

PS: The comment came from: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...allen/comments

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 01-24-2014 at 10:06 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, many Kickstarters looked doomed until the last couple of days where they get a huge deluge of pledges. You can't really use trends to predict if it'll fund or not.

That said, we're in the "trickle" phase. Definitely an uphill battle. I bet we'll be doing good to have $300-350k going into the last couple of days, so even with a big pledge push at the end, I don't know if it could overcome a gap that large.

Gonna be a long 29 days.
I don't see it happening, not enough backers, but I guess it's all good for the attention it'll get. It gets many of the former players together somewhat and gets us all thinking about the future.

One of the things which crosses my mind is how a lot of the former EQ players are older now and don't have as much time to play these kinds of games. We all know how much time was required in EQ and how much more time "we" had back then. How do you find a way to please the older generation while also pleasing the younger crowd who're newly introduced? Granted, there might not be as many young people interested in a game like this, but I think there're still a "lot" of young adults interested in a mmorpg more like the old WoW than the newer WoW. There's places popping all over for classic WoW servers. I think classic WoW potentially has a lot in common with Pantheon, more in common than many might think. Perhaps Brad or the people doing Pantheon should review what classic WoW was like and see if they can't capitalize on it.

While I've always been hardcore and thought of WoW as being a carebear mmorpg, I confess I regret not experiencing WoW before the expansions. I haven't tried it, but if I did I'd try the older version.

Of course, modern gamers have probably moved well past memories of classic WoW, but keep in mind WoW was a big phenomenon and there're still probably hundreds of thousands of them reminiscing. So even though producing a game this way isn't going to be the latest and greatest, it might still be successful. This is assuming a game similar to classic WoW would be able to capitalize on the interest shown by some former or current players of WoW. It's possible only a replica of classic WoW would be able to pull this off.

One thing I'm thinking of is Pantheon needs to find a way to make it so when you're in a group you can still ninja-afk without huge consequences. Perhaps your character can disappear when you're afk or it can become like a mercenary. Anyway, I think finding a way to make Pantheon friendly to parents (who're more susceptible to 5 minute ninja afk's) and others in general who live a busy life is not a terrible idea. And of course there're those people that just need to go to the toilet or cook something fast. All in all, it'd be nice if the game could still feel hardcore while also not making us feel like we can't afk to fulfill basic functions.

P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 01-24-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One thing I'm thinking of is Pantheon needs to find a way to make it so when you're in a group you can still ninja-afk without huge consequences. Perhaps your character can disappear when you're afk or it can become like a mercenary. Anyway, I think finding a way to make Pantheon friendly to parents (who're more susceptible to 5 minute ninja afk's) and others in general who live a busy life is not a terrible idea. And of course there're those people that just need to go to the toilet or cook something fast. All in all, it'd be nice if the game could still feel hardcore while also not making us feel like we can't afk to fulfill basic functions.
I like the Merc idea very much. Would allow for those afk moments, and open a whole new world to boxing for those of us who like it. Think how many more people would box (and pay for the extra accounts) if they didn't have to struggle with the setup and software to make it work.

Personally I have boxed most games I have played, 2-3 boxed eq2, vanguard, swg, tabula rasa, firefall, 4 boxed EQ live and 16 boxed on Wow.

Boxing for me was a way to work on harder group content without having to sit lfg for hours. And let's face it, most MMO's are not rocket science, so just playing 1 toon would get boring for me.

I realize my opinion on boxing is counter to many people who play these games to socialize as they are mmorpg's. But I have a life and a social job and personally I don't play these games to make friends, I play to relax and enjoy myself and in the brave new word of instances and multiple shards on a single mega server, people boxing is not going to effect or impact other people really. I understand the argument against it in classic EQ as one person can lock down a group camp, but that is not an issue in todays gaming.
Last edited by citizen1080; 01-24-2014 at 11:10 PM..
Old 01-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Sarnak

This kickstarter is still trending fine. It's certainly not doing as well as it *should* be doing and I am pretty sure the dev team was hoping to easily make the 800k well before the time was up with a lot of progress on the stretch goals. The way things are playing out is pretty standard for large budget gaming projects that meet their goals (without massively exceeding them). Assuming the team behind the project is doing what they need to be doing to get the word out this still probably has the potential to hit the million dollarish mark, maybe more if they can hit the right populations.

its been mentioned before but these things follow a pattern in terms of pledges where you get a big initial bump then things slow down (often to a virtual crawl) and then slowly speed up as the project gets near the end, with a major uptick right near the end.

It is very common to see >50% of the $$ to come in the last 25% of the kickstarter. If you see this at $400,000 with 10 days left, (29 to go currently at 221k) chances are pretty good it succeeds.

Expect a major PR blitz near the end -- the team should be generating a lot of media content to release and lining up coverage from a lot sites for the same timeframe. It's a balancing act for them as they need to do a certain amount of PR work now to keep funds going up at least slowly, but at the same time any PR work they do now will be a lot less valuable than similar work done near the end, and opportunities are not endless.

For example, a published interview on RPS today might net them a $$ bump but the same interview with 5 days to go will result in a much larger bump. And RPS will only run so many pieces on pantheon. And when(if) this does finally fund, RPS probably runs another article saying it funded, and then a bunch of people pledge because it succeeded. Which all just reinforces that a lot of the funding will come nearer the end.
<Azure Guard>

Green
-Curare, Necromancer
Old 01-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1551 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This kickstarter is still trending fine. It's certainly not doing as well as it *should* be doing and I am pretty sure the dev team was hoping to easily make the 800k well before the time was up with a lot of progress on the stretch goals. The way things are playing out is pretty standard for large budget gaming projects that meet their goals (without massively exceeding them). Assuming the team behind the project is doing what they need to be doing to get the word out this still probably has the potential to hit the million dollarish mark, maybe more if they can hit the right populations.
That'd definitely be something new to me. I look at the kickstarter and I just don't see enough backers. Count me as someone who learns something new if this comes to place as you say.

Last edited by stormlord; 01-25-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Sarnak

No...no...no..................
--------
Skill Chains and Sympathetics

Skill chains are a series of super abilities executed in a particular order. These abilities are executed by multiple players. When a skill chain is completed an additional effect fires, this effect is called a sympathetic ability. There is only a certain window of time between each ability activation that the next qualifying one can be. If the player has discovered the chain their ability will light up if they have a qualifying ability letting them know they need to fire that ability next in order to take the chain to the next level.

Chain discovery occurs through experimentation. In order to discover they must try different combinations until they successfully complete the chain. When a chain is initially discovered it is entered into the tome of war. Only through practice can the player unlock the chain, fully gaining its biggest benefit.
-------

What I hated most from EverQuest 2 is making its way into Pantheon. FML.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Fire Giant

Sounds a bit like the way the abilities worked in DAoC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

It'll be itneresting to see how the systems in Pantheon evolve.

I particularly liked this comment from earlier on the kickstarter comments page:
Quote:
Eadren about 8 hours ago

I think where Gazz's viewpoint is coming from is, as he mentioned the Divination school in EQ. Most classes had spells that weren't cast nearly as frequently as, say, their damaging spells. Which caused you to have to cast it for the heck of it just to level it up rather than as you played, as with your damage spells, buffs, etc. From an immersion stand point, you're practicing the spell to get more proficient. But from a fun standpoint, if there's no reason to cast that particular spell over and over (invisibility, for example) you notice the tedium, where its hidden with damage spells. Oberon also brings a good point.
Link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...allen/comments

I really like that comment because it highlights an important point, in my mind. If you're going to require skills be trained, do in such a way it happens more naturally as a result of the gameplay. Standing still and casting a spell repeatedly (and uselessly) to train it is not fun because there's no gameplay mixed in to keep you occupied. I hope Brad can keep all this in mind so as to not repeat mistakes made in EQ.

This is the same reason I did not like camping. Figuring out a camp is fun because there're things to do in the process of figuring it out. However, after that it's repetition. Oftentimes, you'd just be sitting there and hiding and afking for 10 to 20 minutes. It's possible you may be in a camp where you'd be continually killing things to get the ph to pop, but even in that case you're still killing the same things over and over, resulting in repetition. If Brad can resolve all this somehow by making loot acquisition less repetitious, it'd be a great sign.

In modern MMO's the answer to loot acquisition and camping seems to be a continual flow of quests moving you around. Because you're being moved around and engaged in the quests, there's less repetition. In the process of loot acquisition you're actively playing and going to new areas, thus avoiding having to camp.

One other note about quests is they're handmade, not random. Many games try to insert random content, but it always seems to be less effective at producing enjoyment because it's computer generated. Perhaps knowing this can make finding a solution easier, so you don't rely too much on random things.

And one finale note about repetition. The reason it happens is because developers fail to create enough content to keep players occupied. The secondary reason it happens I feel is because some developers use it as a means to separate players, so that some can rise above the others. This usually happens in more competitive games. The problem is repetition is not fun and by enforcing it a game will become exclusive and more isolated. Bottom line, repetition is a poor substitute for content AND competition. It's not what makes games great.

Last edited by stormlord; 01-26-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Closed Thread