Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

I agree with your post, Theaetatus. Optimized racial choice serves mostly as a confidence booster for players who might otherwise be a little unsure of themselves. The couple percent you gain from actually picking the ideal race won't noticeably matter in a loosely-tuned game like Everquest. I can think of no case where a class of race_a can do something that the same class of race_b cannot. However, for some folks the psychological effect of picking the "best" race can make the difference between liking and disliking their character.

Danth
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Fire Giant

To answer the OP:

I think barbarians are a race choice for rogues because Conan was was a thief (probably a fighter-thief if you want to get real D&D nerdy). I rolled a barbarian rogue because it was a rare combination at the time - I liked the stats but I eventually hated the bulky model when it came to raiding.

I think Rangers were heavily nerfed because they knew that if they were on an even field there would have been waaay too many of them (there still were). The reasons everyone wanted to be a ranger were: Drizzt, Aragorn, and Aradune (not sure of spelling - was one of the original Verant dudes - ran around with flaming swords and made all the nerds swoon). Playing a ranger in the face of all their glaring shortcomings was to be a martyr for your coolness.

Don't get mad at the nerd jab - I rolled ranger for my first character because I was a Drizzt junkie.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can think of no case where a class of race_a can do something that the same class of race_b cannot.
Then you've never played an Ogre SK or Shaman; in fact I guarantee it. They have such an immense natural advantage compared to any other race with regards to casting that nobody who has ever played one could speak (or hear) the sentence above and maintain a straight face.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Fire Giant

ya stun immunity is kinda the cats pajamas speaking as an ogre sham
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

Ok, you may make your point: Which creatures can the Ogre Shaman solo that Shamans of other races are wholly incapable of soloing?

I'm actually curious because I know of none and maybe you know something I don't. I know of plenty of cases where the ogre has a somewhat easier time of things, but in all such cases the other races can ultimately get the job done, too.

Danth
Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Fire Giant

all ive ever heard of are velious era dragons where the stun immune ends up being life or death *shrug otherwise ya its easier but its alot easier and frequently a life saver.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

You have to consider how hard those dragons are hitting you and that, yes, one bash means you can drop. Ogre is just better for solo'ing shit with a jbb too.

Iksar velious helm fave or barb.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well said. I never liked fatties due to the fact that they are so freakin ugly, no matter how much better warriors they make. Plus id rather be a unique class/race combo
Just don't make a human warrior, that's something a complete noob would do. Say, and make him worship Innoruuk too. I bet no raid guild would ever let you in.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaidh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Either you dislike me, or imitate an android on the forums... I can't figure out which...
I don't dislike you, I just recognize we have a difference of opinion and don't feel like bothering to attempt to convince you nor do I feel you should bother to attempt to convince me of the merits of the bucket. Its just not worth the effort for either of us. But its not a reason for animosity.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Sarnak

Woooshhhh....
Twerp - Ogre Shaman
Numpty - Halfling Warrior
Tosser - Gnome Enchanter
Closed Thread