Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Kobold

Default Who's got the scoop on Projectors?

Been needing to get a new TV and im considering getting a projector instead. Trouble is, I don't know shit about them!

Will prob have it hooked up to my laptop for netflix/movies but want to be able to watch cable tv with it as well.

Any advice on what to look for/avoid? Also not looking to spend too much.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

I don't have one but a friend of mine does and he said hed never get another one.

the display isnt as good as newer tv's and doesnt have the bells and whistles. Im still using an old projection screen so display isn't so important to me but he hates it...

oh yeah something about the colors too he said they look faded im not sure if thats the projector or his surface
Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Orc

I just have some half-assed observations with no sources and no specifics.(typing on phone)
You won't be able to just project on the wall. Even if the wall is white, it might still come out dim. You need something more reflective. That's why those pull-down projector screens exist. If you ever shine a laser at one, you'll see that they're made of some kind of micro-reflective stuff.
You don't have to buy one though; there is also such thing as special paint just for projectors.
As far as what you want to do with it, it'll probably have a HDMI port for laptops and USB inputs and red/white/yellow jacks and even that other one that's red/yellow/blue/green/orange that started around the time PS2 came out. Nowadays they have wireless capability, too.
In short: you'll be fine. Just check Consumer's Reports for a projector review, or something. All in all, it's not a bad idea.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Kobold

Be prepared to replace the bulbs fairly frequently if you're gonna use it as your daily viewer. And the majority of the cost of projectors, the ones I've dealt with anyway, are tied up in the bulb.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Kobold

Yeah I was wanting a projector for the flexibility of where i want to watch movies, and screen viewing size. Does the aspect ratio of them going to really make a difference in how my picture looks? For example, if i get one with a 4:3 ratio and watch a movie in 16:9 will it just project the movie in the movies native ratio or will it just cut shit off and make it 4:3?

Also, how often is "fairly frequently" when replacing bulbs? Another reason i want a projector is that it seems I can get one for a bit less than I'd pay for the size of the TV i require lol.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Banned

i had one a few years back b4 my house got blown away and the bulbs lasted 2000 hours

the picture came in clear

football season i kept a boner the entire season

It would show a clear picture on just a white wall, i had a pull down screen though
Old 07-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

I just bought one earlier this year, cheap Favi RIO led-3

that and a 50$ projector screen (manual no auto roll up) and a $30 mount...

make sure u have a basement or dark room, and time to sit and adjust the thing to perfection

honestly though i gave mine to my parents because i felt really over entertained and was getting fat again sitting and just... admiring my display
Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Kobold

I do projector testing for work. Usually it is the high end stuff for flight simulators, but now and again we do home theater testing for low cost solutions....

That said, I would recommend http://www.visualapex.com/ for any visual home theater needs. Especially the Epson 8350. you get about 2000 - 2500 hours out of the lamps. for $2k you can get the projector with a tension screen that is linked to the projector. That way it rolls itself down when you turn on the projector and stows itself when it is off. I think the package deal also comes with a universal IR remote and repeater in case you want to hide everything behind a wall...

You could wait for a home LED light source projector, but that is a ways off yet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you have any specific questions - brightness - contrast - throw ratio - please let me know.
Last edited by Beldon; 07-22-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Closed Thread