Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Sarnak

Default DC Universe Online - anyone else playing?

I recently picked this up, and so far so good. Playing on a PS3 just so ya know...any other heroes/villians out there?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Kobold

Playing but on PC
Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

I bought it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The game is fun from the get go and anything unlike the other MMO's out there. If the game gets more polish and they keep on expanding its content, it might just grow out to be something brilliant.

Sadly there's no free demo for it and only people who buy the game get a free trial pass for friends .. and even then theres the question if you do, I bought an online copy and didn't get my free pass.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Sarnak

I saw that there was a "lifetime" purchase available. What all does that entail, i was wondering about the fine print. If you pay the $200 with tax up front does that mean you are subscribed for life never having to pay again... or is there some clause to make you pay again at some point. Because it just doesn't seem like they would offer a 1 time payment considering how much more they could make from monthly/yearly.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Kobold

1 time payment Pure. There is a risk you're taking in that. You're hoping that the game doesn't fizzle out. There is a benefit for them, they get a spike of income up front to help them get out of debt. They realize a lot of people aren't going to pay 200 bucks per account.

To me this isn't a game that's going to be as 'epic' as EQ, but there's a ton of possibilities with it. It's a game that's amazing for blowing off some steam. Button smashing MMO yes please. But beyond that there are combos much like Street Fighter/Killer Instinct. There are also ways to earn extra points through completing enough quests or achievements.

Plus there's not just 1 build that works for a tank/dps/healer/controller There are a lot of possibilities of being extremely efficient with any of the combos you choose.

If you want to just mash buttons you can in some of the things, but don't try instances that way, there is real strat in those. You can see a lot of EQ in the game based on the zones, and some of LDoN mixed in too.

Personally I would recommend everyone try it, it's extremely unique with it's combat system/level of content/level of customization etc. Plus it's a game that maxes at level 30, so you could easily be able to do some of the top content in the game without being insanely hardcore. But obviously you can't get to the very best without a lot of time invested. It's sort of WoWish in that way, but as a 2ndary game, and a novelty game it's amazing.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Sarnak

Moose is right. You can mash buttons in the first few levels, but you'll get your ass handed to you not much later. Fiddling around with weapon and power combinations is great - I recently rolled a undead commando who combines gadgets with rifles and he's tons of fun.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The rifle gets some fun combo's that constantly keep your attention on the game. You can't play it like WoW (or EQ), where you casually keep on spamming immolate or frost bolt while also doing other stuff. It also demands teamwork ^^ good stuff.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:08 AM
Banned

I opened this thread solely because I knew Peatree's avatar would be the bouncy Asian girl.

Not only are you nerds playing an MMO.
Not only are you nerds playing a comic book MMO.
You are nerds playing a comic book MMO of the least cool publisher, DC.

Nerds.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Fire Giant

Says the nerd who ranks comic book publishers!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Sarnak

Curious to know how similar it is to City of Heroes if anyone played that. Because it sounds and looks to be set up a lot the same way and that game fizzled out. The only difference it appears so far without actually trying the game is you have a main super hero helper and it is all DCish rather than pure custom.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Fire Giant

I took a dump on my table and played with it. It was actually more fun than DC Universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth View Post
What is griefing to you anyway? Getting killed without a white glove to the left cheek and a formal declaration of imminent fisticuffs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros View Post
If you guys hadn't noticed, mimix ownz all, so just give in.
Closed Thread