Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Default I am not against GMO's.

Biologists have given us a great gift by unlocking the power of DNA. YES we must be careful as fuck with that power, but IMHO, we should also use it if it is needed. Genetically modified organisms have every bit of potential people say they have, and so much more that they don't even talk about. We are herein discussing the very foundry of creation and now more than ever are the gods of our world.

Hubris though this may be, it is absolutely true. The use of techniques to add and remove traits from organisms could possibly open an entirely new world of variety and precision in the propagation of life in the known universe. The previous sentence is, however, a double edged sword that is Excalibur sharp on both sides. While the potential exists to make quality of life better, also potential exists to do what many humans would call great evil.

We are tottering on the precipice as we speak. This is the time in which we will see on which side of things we will fall.

We need to ask ourselves who we want to be the custodians of this power. We need to ask ourselves what they've done in the past.

I am not against GMO's, but I am against Monsanto (link relatively free of emotional rhetoric, based on facts).

However, If there is anything that Monsanto has proven through the years, it is precisely that they do not give any fucks what anyone thinks or says about them. I do not think walking around with a permit - threatening to snitch on people who actually practice civil disobedience - is the way to stop them.

I advocate nothing.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Biologists have given us a great gift by unlocking the power of DNA. YES we must be careful as fuck with that power, but IMHO, we should also use it if it is needed. Genetically modified organisms have every bit of potential people say they have, and so much more that they don't even talk about. We are herein discussing the very foundry of creation and now more than ever are the gods of our world.

Hubris though this may be, it is absolutely true. The use of techniques to add and remove traits from organisms could possibly open an entirely new world of variety and precision in the propagation of life in the known universe. The previous sentence is, however, a double edged sword that is Excalibur sharp on both sides. While the potential exists to make quality of life better, also potential exists to do what many humans would call great evil.

We are tottering on the precipice as we speak. This is the time in which we will see on which side of things we will fall.

We need to ask ourselves who we want to be the custodians of this power. We need to ask ourselves what they've done in the past.

I am not against GMO's, but I am against Monsanto (link relatively free of emotional rhetoric, based on facts).

However, If there is anything that Monsanto has proven through the years, it is precisely that they do not give any fucks what anyone thinks or says about them. I do not think walking around with a permit - threatening to snitch on people who actually practice civil disobedience - is the way to stop them.

I advocate nothing.

We do not need more food. We need fewer people.

We do not need GMO's we need airborne Ebola.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We do not need more food. We need fewer people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
also potential exists to do what many humans would call great evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We do not need GMO's we need airborne Ebola.
Quote:
also potential exists to do what many humans would call great evil.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

It's almost as if I addressed that idiot non-point specifically or something..
Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's almost as if I addressed that idiot non-point specifically or something..
Who is the idiot?

You seem to think the human race should keep breeding itself into extinction. I do not.

We have a large population of what I call "The immortal Vermin". The part of society who has nothing to offer the species. Their only talent is to spread their DNA and leech off the rest of the population who actually contribute to society. They are in every race and every class of people.

It is simply irresponsible to suggest that the current exponential growth of the human population is anything but detrimental to not only our existence, but the existence of most of the species on this planet. The human race and the planet would be better off if 2/3 of the population were culled.

You know I am right.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Planar Protector

Yes but the parasite comparison is dependent upon our actions. Just because we haven't been awesome so far doesn't mean that we cannot become awesome. In fact, I'm not even arguing that our nature isn't to be non-awesome, I'll grant you that point. But I will also raise the bar and say that we're the very first species known capable of using reason to go against our nature, at once our greatest strength and possibly our downfall.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Orc

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned

http://www.1channel.ch/external.php?vid=99658637&link=1
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KessonDaslef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
While those things are smart, those men didn't know that we'd soon be using recombinant viral particles to create chimera with novel characteristics.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Fire Giant

reapin either substandard troll or truly cringeworthy
Closed Thread