Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Sarnak

Default Class/Race Rant

After getting back into the game I'm kind of amazed how imbalanced the class/race combos are. Perhaps WoW ruined my MMO ideals, but I can't create a character anymore without thinking about numbers and end game use.

For example, why would anyone in their right mind play a human monk over an iksar?
Why are Barbarians even able to be rogues, and why are the arguably the best race for a rogue? They're not stealthy. They're a big loud race. Makes no sense! Why do rangers suck so bad, yet it's the class a lot of people want to play the most. The advantage ogres/troll have for warriors and shadowknights are ridiculous over other races. And more stuff. And more stuff.

I just needed to put this in writing somewhere. I'm not really too pissed and I'll still play.
I have to remind myself that EQ was about roleplaying more so than elitism to a point.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Sarnak

From a min/max standpoint, sure.

Best thing I like about EQ: Barely anybody gives a shit about min/maxing. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

its because of the "RPG" that follows MMORPG, unfortunately that part seems to be left out these days. any table top D&D player can tell you that races and classes were not always designed with balance in mind, and since eq was created by a bunch of dnd nerds i assume that mentality carried over. my most memorable d&d charaters were some of the more wacky class and race combo's. tbh i wish there werent any race or class restrictions in eq, how cool would it be to actually play a dark elf ranger???
Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Dark elf necromancer ftw. Yeah that Iksar regen would of been pretty great at level 59 now but those scaled eyes oars just don't have dark elf style and that matters [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Fire Giant

some ppl dont wanna lvl twice as long for lvl 60 to have extra regen on a char (monk) that is only tankin with healers that keep them at full or dead. also dont forget human monk at 60 win on the dps with the (what i think is the best combo) fist/sos (or some VP crap i know nothin about)
Ikky regen adds to the solo ability of a monk yes but then you are grinding alot longer as well. I feel like only necro is ikky or die because it increases there mana to health to mana abilities. but for all else troll wars/sks/shams ikky monks its like what 270 hp heal every minute *shrug ya its that much less damage your takin and you might ocasionally avoid a death by the health u regened but thats alot of extra grindin for it.

i personally go for looks over all else except stun immunity is game changing.
Last edited by godbox; 09-02-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Sarnak

Hide, faction, and lower XP rates fit well with my playstyle. Regen, stun immunity do not even play a factor for me.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarathiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its because of the "RPG" that follows MMORPG, unfortunately that part seems to be left out these days. any table top D&D player can tell you that races and classes were not always designed with balance in mind, and since eq was created by a bunch of dnd nerds i assume that mentality carried over. my most memorable d&d charaters were some of the more wacky class and race combo's. tbh i wish there werent any race or class restrictions in eq, how cool would it be to actually play a dark elf ranger???
This is exactly it. That's one thing I love about EQ. Of course a Troll or an Ogre will be a much better warrior than, say, a Wood Elf. It's just logical! But sometimes the fun is in playing characters that go against the grain.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After getting back into the game I'm kind of amazed how imbalanced the class/race combos are. Perhaps WoW ruined my MMO ideals, but I can't create a character anymore without thinking about numbers and end game use.

For example, why would anyone in their right mind play a human monk over an iksar?
Why are Barbarians even able to be rogues, and why are the arguably the best race for a rogue? They're not stealthy. They're a big loud race. Makes no sense! Why do rangers suck so bad, yet it's the class a lot of people want to play the most. The advantage ogres/troll have for warriors and shadowknights are ridiculous over other races. And more stuff. And more stuff.

I just needed to put this in writing somewhere. I'm not really too pissed and I'll still play.
I have to remind myself that EQ was about roleplaying more so than elitism to a point.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your rant is ill-founded, imo.

Human monks were the only option for a long time, and even now, appearance and faction considerations are more important for a LOT of people than the iksar regen and minor AC boost.

Where does EQ lore say that barbarians can't be sneaky?

Rangers are what they are because the developers of classic EQ created an imperfect game, and it took them a couple of years to getting around to fixing this particular issue.

And you talk about endgame while also being upset about the stat advantage of an ogre/troll tank in the same breath? In raid gear and with raid buffs, any warrior/sk is going to be approaching or at max melee stats.

Bottom line is every race and class can play an important role in almost every little niche of the game, because what matters more than wood elf v. ogre or human v. iksar or ranger v. rogue is the way the player behind the keyboard plays whatever it is he has chosen.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by godbox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
some ppl dont wanna lvl twice as long for lvl 60 to have extra regen on a char (monk) that is only tankin with healers that keep them at full or dead. also dont forget human monk at 60 win on the dps with the (what i think is the best combo) fist/sos (or some VP crap i know nothin about)
Ikky regen adds to the solo ability of a monk yes but then you are grinding alot longer as well. I feel like only necro is ikky or die because it increases there mana to health to mana abilities. but for all else troll wars/sks/shams ikky monks its like what 270 hp heal every minute *shrug ya its that much less damage your takin and you might ocasionally avoid a death by the health u regened but thats alot of extra grindin for it.

i personally go for looks over all else except stun immunity is game changing.
I just spray farted in my chair when I read the underlined. Erudite is the better end game choice because It can reach the Int cap faster, which means I can start focusing +HP items sooners. In the end I will have more HP than an iksar which is what really matters for a necro. Necros HP = Mana & Mana = HP. The extra 12 regen rate does not matter when I have vexing mordina healing me for 122 a tick. But what does matter is the ammount of extra hp I have for Arch Lich to eat & convert into mana to be spent on DPS.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Fact is wood elf rogues weren't cool till I rolled mine.
Closed Thread