Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-16-2023, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Default Paladin agro spells post-patch

So I came back after a long break and rolled an SK, noticed disease cloud was doing virtually nothing, learned about the patch, did some research/asked some people and switched to clinging darkness.

I've been playing around with a paladin but I'm still pretty low level... and still trying to decide which class I ultimately want to go with this time around. What are paladins doing for agro at higher levels (group and raid), and how well is it working? I grouped with a rogue in unrest and noticed it took flash of light spam throughout an entire fight to hold agro over a rogue. Does stun work better when I get it? Please tell me they aren't relying on root. My SK was able to do really well with just clinging darkness.
Last edited by Lune; 08-16-2023 at 01:22 PM..
Old 08-16-2023, 01:49 PM
Planar Protector

It depends on the player and the dps’ gear. If using a GCD reset clickies with Flash of Light in slot 1 you won’t have any issue. I did a 5 person VSR not attacking, with two rogues who waited like 10 seconds and it never flipped. That said, at 55 if the pally or SK doesn’t have great gear and the rogue has the epic it’s a struggle to keep aggro. Especially if the rogue isn’t trying to help.

In short the pally spell set is unnerfed. Disease/poison aggro as I understand will restored at some point. The paladin is a more boring class but has a better spell book for tank work (outside pulling). The SK is a more dynamic class. There is nothing sexy about being able to cast MR, DA, and Hp buffs. Stuns are kind of fun. LoH is less flashy than Harm Touch. These are objectively better though later on. Not having snare is a pain at times but a lot of classes can do this somehow.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Just play a warrior and people won't expect you to hold aggro.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I came back after a long break and rolled an SK, noticed disease cloud was doing virtually nothing, learned about the patch, did some research/asked some people and switched to clinging darkness.

I've been playing around with a paladin but I'm still pretty low level... and still trying to decide which class I ultimately want to go with this time around. What are paladins doing for agro at higher levels (group and raid), and how well is it working? I grouped with a rogue in unrest and noticed it took flash of light spam throughout an entire fight to hold agro over a rogue. Does stun work better when I get it? Please tell me they aren't relying on root. My SK was able to do really well with just clinging darkness.
Get epic for that phat proc, best haste, crown of narandi, and mostly flash with the occasional stun and you'll be good. Would be more fun though I think to just small man stuff where aggro isn't really an issue, or do some fun solo dungeon crawling. Pallies have plenty of tools to get the job done.

I prefer playing my SK for twink builds because I like the chillness of fd if I need to afk at a moment's notice. But can't go wrong with either.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Tox with the dunk.

Really at some point dps with aggro problems are a self correcting problem. At least when CH is doing the heavy lifting. On live we gave dps hell if they were taking physical hits. On p99 it seems to be the tank’s problem. All the elite gamer dps who don’t start attacking at 95%…

A paladin in those early levels has the luxury of casting root and standing close. Just gotta assume the rogue isn’t dumb enough to stand closer.
Last edited by Snaggles; 08-16-2023 at 02:15 PM..
Old 08-16-2023, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

From my understanding, the nerf really only affected disease and poison counter aggro.

This killed a lot of weapons warriors were using (RIP infestation and some of the VP weapons) and had an impact on the sk spell kit (ie disease cloud spam). I would think clinging darkness remains a good low level spam aggro spell. Costs twice as much mana and casts a wee bit slower.

To my knowledge blind, stuns, snares, and debuffs weren’t affected. I certainly haven’t noticed a difference on my paladin. Primary threat spell remains flash of light but I keep 1-2 stuns on mana bar at all times.

As Snaggles mentioned, how hard it is to hold aggro depends a lot on your weapons and who you’re holding aggro off of. With a rock solid 2hander, I’d wager most paladins can function fine with 1, maybe 2 flashes of light per fight. I typically can get by with just one at the start. With my PoH 1hander and shield - it’s gonna be a few casts per fight potentially.

For raid level content I don’t bother with GCD but cast FoL frequently when it naturally refreshes. At 1.5 sec cast time it’s easy to get a FoL off between melee rounds of a 2hander without missing a beat.

On big raid targets if tanking I would sometimes use

https://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender

Instead of

https://wiki.project1999.com/Great_Spear_of_Dawn

Big dps drop but has 20 more ac and the stun proc helps aggro stay healthy on the longer fights. On those raid fights, my personal dps is more negligible so the focus is just live and hold threat.

Epic is better but I’m lazy. I happen to think ND is one of the most badass looking weapons in the game as well.

I cannot recall ever losing aggro while raid tanking. If a knight wants it, they’re gonna have it.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 08-16-2023 at 02:16 PM..
Old 08-16-2023, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks, sounds like FoL is scaling better at higher levels at least.

I'm quite familiar with the toolkits of each, just having trouble deciding which I prefer to actually play. Harm touch vs lay hands is lopsided and it frustrates me not being able to clutch save somebody on an SK or heal somebody who is dying. I used to play a monk and adore pulling/splitting with FD, and miss FD+snare and circlet when on my pally. Paladin feels great punking on casters but so does SK, to a lesser extent, with fear. Paladin has higher piercing and lances look badass. Deepwater BP and helm are OP, but circlet is fun. SK has pet DPS but pets can be a bitch to manage well, especially when giving up circlet use while they're alive. Paladins are somewhat useful on raids while SK's are usually a warm body if not pulling, though that utility is predicated on constantly questing soulfires.

However if paladins struggle with agro that makes my decision easier. Sounds like they do not. Think I'm leaning toward SK if for no other reason than the QoL out in the world tips the balance.
Last edited by Lune; 08-16-2023 at 03:09 PM..
Old 08-16-2023, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

Play them both. They’re both fun classes.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

FoL is twice as much aggro as root/snare/clinging (ignoring the damage portion)/slow/stun. It is great.

What is causing your issue is another change that went in on that patch: aggro for these spells scales with the target's max HP. Bad on these newbie mobs, but not a problem on high level mobs.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:42 PM
Planar Protector

Is FoL stronger now vs raid targets than it was before the patch?

Do we know to what degree it scales with hp and to what high end value?