Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Large Rat

Default Human or half elf paladin

Is one better than the other? I really like the looks and stats of human, but I'm not sure how hard night blindness is to deal with. I was able to snag one of the serpent sight rings, but giving up an item slot just to see seems like it could be a pain as I level up and get better gear.

My only real issue with half elf is the horrible starting wisdom. I've tried to look it up and I see some people say it doesn't matter due to mana regen being more important, and others say wisdom is the most important. Kind of lost on which one is true. They do have high dex and agility, but does that really do much?

Finally, any help with starting stats would be great. I was thinking 5 stam 15 wisdom for half elf, and 5 strength, 5 wisdom, 10 stamina for human. No real idea if that's dumb or not, the wiki says dump all in stamina but I don't know if that's accurate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I only have about 10k to gear him, if that makes a difference.
Last edited by Revanx22; 08-27-2023 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-27-2023, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Human is better.

Half elves are basically only better for natures defender, but just get pally epic on human. It’s not that hard, better ratio, looks cooler, and gives you 2h bash.
Old 08-27-2023, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Ill wait for DSM to let us know its int
Old 08-27-2023, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanx22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is one better than the other? I really like the looks and stats of human, but I'm not sure how hard night blindness is to deal with. I was able to snag one of the serpent sight rings, but giving up an item slot just to see seems like it could be a pain as I level up and get better gear.

My only real issue with half elf is the horrible starting wisdom. I've tried to look it up and I see some people say it doesn't matter due to mana regen being more important, and others say wisdom is the most important. Kind of lost on which one is true. They do have high dex and agility, but does that really do much?

Finally, any help with starting stats would be great. I was thinking 5 stam 15 wisdom for half elf, and 5 strength, 5 wisdom, 10 stamina for human. No real idea if that's dumb or not, the wiki says dump all in stamina but I don't know if that's accurate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I only have about 10k to gear him, if that makes a difference.
As Crede says, Nature's Defender is inferior to Paladin Epic. Paladins have one of the easier Epic quests too. Nature's Defender would be the main reason to pick Half-Elf with Tunare as deity.

Realistically it is fine if you use the serpent ring for night blindness. You'll be down 65 HP and a few AC, but you have bigger problems in a fight if 65 HP was the determining factor for life or death. Especially since Paladins can heal themselves and root.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Glowing_Stone_Band
https://wiki.project1999.com/Globe_o...rburning_Flame

These are the two items I use on my human mule, they take a ring and range slot. Should hold you over until you can get https://wiki.project1999.com/Eyepatch_of_the_Shadows , which has Ultravision and good melee stats.

Starting stat-wise, with 10K of gear you can get a lot of cheap STR gear and WR bags. Put all your points into WIS. If you cannot put the full 20 into WIS, put the last 5 into STA. At the end of the day starting stats aren't going to really affect your leveling experience. You'll notice them more in the endgame if you get there.

Some posters may try to tell you that putting all your points into STR is going to give you a noticeable increase to your DPS, but they have nothing to back up this idea. Getting a small increase in DPS does not always mean you are getting more kills per hour.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-27-2023 at 12:25 PM..
Old 08-27-2023, 12:28 PM
Sarnak

Human or High Elf are both good choices. Pick what you like the look and feel off, remember to check velious plate helmet designs.

Str is a waste. Wisdom or Charisma. Both are fine choices from start to finish.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:36 PM
Sarnak

And yeah Tunare sword is meh.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanx22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Humans are definitely better. Don't worry too much about night blindness, as you can always just turn your gamma up in your EQ window using the windows gamma calibrator, and you'll get plenty of options for night vision on good gear (not a serpent ring) later on.

Quote:
Logic it out. When is maximum mana (wisdom) going to be useful? Only when going from 100% mana to 0%. It's not useless. Some day, having a bigger gas tank may help you win a fight, but it pales in comparison to the utility of mana regen. And having higher HP will also help you win a fight some day, in addition to other important benefits. Strength will absolutely give you better DPS while leveling, and allow you to carry more gear. However, this stat is not as useful as stamina in the end-game. Many people never make it to that point.

Quote:
Those starting stats are fine. Personally, I'd go all stamina for both, or divide between stamina and strength depending on your goals for the character. You're very unlikely to ever get the gear to cap your stamina, and if you do, you'll have more flexibility to trade out a stamina piece for something else. Are you planning on raiding? Then stamina is more important. Max HP is more important than max mana, will make complete heals more efficient, will give you a greater reserve during fights, and save you from having to cast spells to convert your mana into HP.

Quote:
Having 10k to gear him makes strength slightly more desirable.

You say you really like the looks of human, so I would strongly recommend you go human. That's going to be far more important than any of these stat considerations. Seriously, these are small differences compared to how you like the look of your character.

And again, night blindness is easily fixed by opening the windows gamma calibrator by typing 'gamma' into windows search, opening calibrate display color, pressing 'next' three times, dragging that bar all the way up, then minimizing it until you close the game, at which point you just hit reset and/or close it. Honestly even my ultravision dark elf's vision is terrible unless I do this. Client is just too dark.
Last edited by Lune; 08-27-2023 at 03:14 PM..
Old 08-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I've tried to look it up and I see some people say it doesn't matter due to mana regen being more important, and others say wisdom is the most important. Kind of lost on which one is true
Yes, unfortunately, this was all figured out years ago with consensus, but there are few of us left from those times. That's why the wiki says what it does. People who recommend wisdom do so because in the best gear with the best buffs your str/sta will be capped. So if your plan is to go right to that, WIS could be justified, as could charisma. However, you will find many accounts of non-dwarf paladins in very good gear who still haven't capped without buffs, and if you're not just raiding, you will spend a lot of time without the best buffs. Having greater starting stamina will also give you more flexibility in gear choices, such as trading a stamina piece for a piece that has other stats. Stamina is a safe bet no matter what you end up doing with your character. Wisdom is of very limited usefulness in any content, and is typically only picked when operating under the assumption your other stats will be capped. And following that line of thought to its conclusion, ignoring that most players never make it to that point, charisma is arguably a better choice for greater success with lulls.
Last edited by Lune; 08-27-2023 at 04:08 PM..
Old 08-27-2023, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

i barely cap sta on my human pally with pretty good gear

https://ibb.co/2vWb737

thats with putting sta in at start, will it get better with more gear? sure

but thats a lot of time and gearing it takes for that sta not to be good thing.
you have 1 job to not die and tank things. Get all the hp you can.

edit: when i get gozz cloak ill be short again, but thats way it goes balancing and swapping in stuff to maximize ya stats, without sta at start itd be much harder and take lot higher end items to cap.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Human or High Elf are both good choices. Pick what you like the look and feel off, remember to check velious plate helmet designs.

Str is a waste. Wisdom or Charisma. Both are fine choices from start to finish.
I went wisdom on my erudite paladin. Found it to be useless. Pallies struggle with mana expenditure. Dw helm/bp is all you need.

Would def go charisma for pulling if I had to do it again.