Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-28-2023, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanx22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue was actually my first pick when I started on p99, but I gave up at level 20ish because I couldn't do anything without a group. I know warriors can't solo with my level of gear, but I thought I could at least kill a blue mob and afk a bit while hp comes back. Is rogue able to do that to any extent when a group isn't available? Not looking to legit solo, just dickin around while trying to get a group going.
With 10k to spend on a warrior, soloing is absolutely possible. Other classes will do it a whole lot better but don’t let anyone tell you it’s not possible.

I think people forget that the first 50 levels of this game saw people on live rocking banded gear, no worn haste, shit weapons, bronze armor and absolutely lusting over fine steel (or crafted armor for warriors). A warrior with level/content appropriate gear, a backpack full of bandages, and some common sense can manage fine on their own for those times when a group isn’t around. They did it back then. They can still manage it now.

10k these days is going to get you a set of weapons better than you could have dreamed of in classic, entry level worn haste, a pair of 5-6ac and 55-65hp rings, a full set of crusty armor and still leave you with a few thousand plat to spare/save.

Again, the same amount of plat on most other classes will have you soloing much better but anyone who says you can’t solo with the above is smoking crack. You might be slow at the killing and want to limit yourself to outdoor zones, but it’s definitely very doable. Especially if you stick to mobs that are low blue con to you (not hard).

This server is so full of people with a half dozen raid twinked alts that we seem to have forgotten you don’t need a fungi to wreck the low level game.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-28-2023, 02:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think people forget that the first 50 levels of this game saw people on live rocking banded gear, no worn haste, shit weapons, bronze armor and absolutely lusting over fine steel (or crafted armor for warriors). A warrior with level/content appropriate gear, a backpack full of bandages, and some common sense can manage fine on their own for those times when a group isn’t around. They did it back then. They can still manage it now.
While this is true, back in the day warriors were not a solo class. Very few classes were; everyone grouped in 6 man groups, because once you got out of the first 10 levels or so, you needed the strength of a team to kill relevant stuff. You can solo fine on a rogue or warrior but only be overgearing a ton vs. a typical classic age character or high level external buffing.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

If you’re proactive and communicative, you can make groups most of the time. It’ll be a fun journey, and you’ll make some friends along the way.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:02 PM
Sarnak

Warrior solo is awful. Don't expect to solo blues for long.

Monk is maybe your best bet then assuming you just flat out refuse to pull in groups and raids.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:04 PM
Fire Giant

Warrior can solo fine with that much in gear just using bandaids.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

I soloed a pally to 60 easily with only a DW helm and Reaver, later a narandi lance and a spiked seahorse belt. Absolutely with no intent to ever raid on p99.

Fast forward, I do raid the pally and get to tank a lot of stuff I never assumed I would. As a group tank outside a few nasty targets it's all the tank most casual people would need.

I would play a warrior if you want to play a warrior. This game isnt about the grind, it's about regretting what you could have had. If you care to ever dual-wield or hit that disc and soak up real damage: go warrior. If you would rather be able to root park and save a squishy class with a LoH: go pally.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:08 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are planning on soloing a good portion of the time to level, Warrior is going to be a tougher road to travel. Same with Rogue. While I agree with the other posters Rogue does fit your "boring autoattacker" idea, you are going to have a tough time leveling solo with only 10k. As a Rogue you need to be great at forming groups, or have some friends you can level with.

I'd say go with Monk if you plan on soloing often. They are also a "boring autoattacker" class. You will need to learn how to pull if you plan on raiding, however. I am not sure how you feel about pulling.
I will disagree with this statement.

Use the 1K twink guide here and for the BP get an Iksar Ceremonial BP. I have solo'd my rogue to 37 with that gear set up. I can see getting to early/mid 40s with her geared that way.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:11 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With 10k to spend on a warrior, soloing is absolutely possible. Other classes will do it a whole lot better but don’t let anyone tell you it’s not possible.

10k these days is going to get you a set of weapons better than you could have dreamed of in classic, entry level worn haste, a pair of 5-6ac and 55-65hp rings, a full set of crusty armor and still leave you with a few thousand plat to spare/save.

Again, the same amount of plat on most other classes will have you soloing much better but anyone who says you can’t solo with the above is smoking crack. You might be slow at the killing and want to limit yourself to outdoor zones, but it’s definitely very doable. Especially if you stick to mobs that are low blue con to you (not hard).

This server is so full of people with a half dozen raid twinked alts that we seem to have forgotten you don’t need a fungi to wreck the low level game.
Amen!
Old 08-29-2023, 06:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will disagree with this statement.

Use the 1K twink guide here and for the BP get an Iksar Ceremonial BP. I have solo'd my rogue to 37 with that gear set up. I can see getting to early/mid 40s with her geared that way.
Should really be a requirement to provide some context for these kinda sentiments

Soloing on a rogue with a 1k budget sounds like torture
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 08-29-2023, 08:23 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should really be a requirement to provide some context for these kinda sentiments

Soloing on a rogue with a 1k budget sounds like torture
Try it. You would be amazed at what the modern game economy can get a rogue, or warrior set up with for just 1k and solo effectively.