Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 10-05-2023, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

If you are playing short sessions SK may be better if your goals are deep within a dungeon. Having to lull past every mob and root camp mobs is a slow process. It can be faster to flop down. You just need to learn how to fear kite in close quarters. You can fear kite in a lot of dugeon areas, so don't listen to people who say you can't.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:07 PM
Planar Protector

DSM is talking - disregard all input immediately
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-05-2023, 11:19 PM
Orc

I think I might do a Dwarf Paladin with CHA starting points. My goal is to log in, put together a pick up group of people who want to try a dungeon crawl and get er done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monk isn't too bad for solo as well. Not sure if that was on OP's radar or not.
Yah, I did monk already this way. Went all out twinking. Soloed in Sol A from 25-40 and Sol B from 40-59. It was a lot of fun. It really spoiled me as far as twinking classes go. I had CoF / RFS from 1-50, and I was almost never in trouble of dying. I've also rolled 3 more monks since, got them to about 30 and then quit. Trouble is always the lack of people who feel brave enough to dive into a dungeon only partnered with a monk - and the mid levels feeling like a mindless grind after a while.

For this toon's purposes: Monk can carry a group pretty well, but Paladin brings slightly more utility for what I want to do (I think). At least outwardly. Some players might feel safer knowing there's heals and roots and pacify? Idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Will you be twinking?
Yeah. Heavily twinked. Fungi / Narandi / Reaver / DW BP, etc. I did this before, but quit around 51 because the kills started taking for-g-d-ever. I'm not really trying to get max level on this toon. I just want a non-60 that I can log in a few hours per week to get a lil EQ fix, via dungeon crawls.
Last edited by sammoHung; 10-05-2023 at 11:24 PM..
Old 10-05-2023, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammoHung [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think I might do a Dwarf Paladin with CHA starting points. My goal is to log in, put together a pick up group of people who want to try a dungeon crawl and get er done.
I just did that not too long ago with a twinked out high elf paladin. Worked really well. Paladin is a good choice for group-daddy
Old 10-06-2023, 01:06 AM
Fire Giant

Cha paladin good solid class.

Cha cleric same, easy to find twink melee to roll with.
Old 10-06-2023, 02:21 AM
Planar Protector

With heavy twinking, if you want to actively crawl through the dungeon and use your spells instead of just flopping down then I’d suggest paladin.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 10-06-2023, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammoHung [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yah, I did monk already this way. Went all out twinking. Soloed in Sol A from 25-40 and Sol B from 40-59. It was a lot of fun. It really spoiled me as far as twinking classes go. I had CoF / RFS from 1-50, and I was almost never in trouble of dying. I've also rolled 3 more monks since, got them to about 30 and then quit. Trouble is always the lack of people who feel brave enough to dive into a dungeon only partnered with a monk - and the mid levels feeling like a mindless grind after a while.

For this toon's purposes: Monk can carry a group pretty well, but Paladin brings slightly more utility for what I want to do (I think). At least outwardly. Some players might feel safer knowing there's heals and roots and pacify? Idk.

Yeah. Heavily twinked. Fungi / Narandi / Reaver / DW BP, etc. I did this before, but quit around 51 because the kills started taking for-g-d-ever. I'm not really trying to get max level on this toon. I just want a non-60 that I can log in a few hours per week to get a lil EQ fix, via dungeon crawls.
Good choice. The dwarf cultural is also really good you can start out with good wis and huge str/sta. 50s are slow for Pallies try to do kedge mermaids with the zem to help out and as toxigen suggested go with ds pots to make dps more tolerable.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Don't sleep on 10 dose Kilva's. I bought a ton of 'em for my pally. Makes a huge difference. Just make sure you're fully medded up ready to rock, pop it, go ham, and hopefully you can nonstop kill til it expires. Med back up and do it over again.

Kobold Crown, Crude Stein, and a matchless dragon mask should do it for cha items. Oh and that sword that procs CHA buff is pretty damn sweet too but I never got one.

Deepwater arms will save a lot of mana later on.

I highly recommend starting in the Warrens right at level 1 til 20/22 (start at ent, then once you can handle the pit fighters go back and forth between those spawns, then head down towards throne room) to get a free Hole key.

I went to Permafrost after that til about 30/32. Same thing...start at the ent, worked my way to Archaeologist / Preacher areas, then down to the jail.

CT to 43/44. Can start in the maze (wiz port in area), then go throne room, then just run laps around the base of the temple.

Absolute ZEM superhighway. Don't listen to the baddies here about healing through walls and shit they just aren't good at the game. I had 0 deaths on that char when I left CT...I think my first death was actually in the Hole when I had a named chicken nugget spawn on me in a bad spot. Once you learn the camps its a non issue.

Enchanters are your strongest duo partners (go figure), but paladin pairs well with so many classes if you're beefed out like that and know what you're doing.
Last edited by Toxigen; 10-06-2023 at 10:05 AM..
Old 10-06-2023, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yeah. Heavily twinked. Fungi / Narandi / Reaver / DW BP, etc. I did this before, but quit around 51 because the kills started taking for-g-d-ever.
It sounds like you've already tried a Paladin before. SK's kill faster than Paladins due to their pets, which may help with that feeling of kills taking forever. You can fear kite in Dungeons, so you will still have your mana/hp saving techniques in that scenario. FD can allow you to get around the dungeons faster. Since you have a level 60 Monk you should be good at FD pulling already too. It's easier to FD pull on an SK due to having snare.

Quote:
I've also rolled 3 more monks since, got them to about 30 and then quit. Trouble is always the lack of people who feel brave enough to dive into a dungeon only partnered with a monk - and the mid levels feeling like a mindless grind after a while.

I'm not really trying to get max level on this toon. I just want a non-60 that I can log in a few hours per week to get a lil EQ fix, via dungeon crawls.
At lower levels Paladins don't have access to any of their clickies, and don't get an XP resurrection until 59. Like all hybrids, they are going to be spending mana and not meditating due to needing to tank/DPS. You aren't going to be as efficient as a Cleric in terms of healing/rooting/lulling. I don't think a Paladin will solve this problem if you are worried about levels 1-44 in terms of building groups.

Cleric/Enchanter/Shaman would be a better group builder and cornerstone class if you are mostly focused on trying to get people to go into a Dungeon with you. They aren't tank classes, but that may end up being the better choice since you have already tried a Paladin and a Monk. Shamans can tank well, espcially when twinked. Something to consider if you are bent on tanking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DSM is talking - disregard all input immediately
Please forgive Troxx OP, he is a childish troll who prefers to shut down conversations instead of having them. He will troll you as well if you trigger him, so be wary when responding to his posts.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 10-06-2023 at 10:41 AM..
Old 10-06-2023, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

Just to clarify, by dungeon crawling I assume soloing in like Guk or SolB, not Seb. If that’s the case it’s going to be a real slog for any melee and most casters.

Pallies with a basic CHA set and invis potions can bypass a lot of stuff. Perhaps with less danger than a train and FD. Bring a Leatherfoot cap for situations you can’t train out. Being able to root stuff and click heal is a real advantage. Outside killing stuff that summons (again though, not what I’m assuming you mean).

If you want control and a clutch heal to save the cleric or enchanter (LoH) a pally while boring is a better tank than the SK. If you can put a pet up or fear stuff the hat tips to the SK. A ranger while squishy is a mix of both.
Last edited by Snaggles; 10-06-2023 at 11:28 AM..