Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 10-30-2023, 05:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default shaman duo

Assuming I had access to twink gear could a warrior or sk duo with a shammy in group content? which would you choose? whats are some pros and cons to each?
Old 10-30-2023, 06:13 PM
Planar Protector

its 2023, it doesn't matter if you are twinking, get ST key, get weapons, get fungi and SS gear, Ring 10, chardok earrings, eye patch of plunder and go ham on either class
Old 10-30-2023, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Sham can duo with anybody. Go sk.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

A sham and warrior don’t have the best splitting/pulling options, just root. While they take and deliver hits nice any hybrid (outside a bard for sake of kill speed) or a monk would make your life easier.

If someone is hell bent on a warrior though you can certainly still do a lot of content. Anything slowed is pretty easy to heal for.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

The pros for one can be considered direct cons for the other.

Pros for sk: opens up close to everything with FD pull. Some limited other spell utility.

Pros for warrior: pretty much everything else while actually fighting is better. higher dps, faster kill rate (fight per fight), will take less damage at baseline and then gets obscene after evasive disc is available.

In a true duo without outside buffs, sk use of mana bar will be limited due to mana constraints making them, at best, a weak warrior without med breaks.

Having said that and regardless of any advantage the warrior might have, the pulling ability of FD is probably the most important of the pros. SK sham is considered a power duo for a reason. It makes most all camps and dungeon crawling fairly painless.

My vote goes to the SK. Either class can duo easily with a shaman. Ultimately play what you find most fun.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 10-31-2023 at 09:16 AM..
Old 10-31-2023, 09:22 AM
Planar Protector

Sham/sk will have access to more lucrative risky camps. If the shaman gets sky fd ring then you each can fd if you get into a sketchy situation or decide to up the anti a bit in places like fear/hate/etc.

I’d only make a warrior if it was like a 4-6 man static group where it would unlock some additional boss fights.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

Depends on what you want out of the duo.

Sham + Warrior is by far the best for just plowing through levels. Shaman has all the tools to keep War in zerk. If you're just trying to get to 60 ASAP and raid this is the answer. Get the war a fungi, the best worn haste possible, and a big 2 hander and its cruise control to 60.

If you're aiming to do tricky / risky / hard cash camps, then SK is better suited. Safer FD pulls / snare splits / etc...but their dmg pales vs War.

The real best answer is monk...but if that isn't on the table my vote goes War so if/when you do get to 60 you actually have a worthwhile tank that can do harder stuff if you wind up with friends beyond the duo.

(fungi on the shaman will help a lot too if you can afford 2)
Last edited by Toxigen; 10-31-2023 at 10:54 AM..
Old 10-31-2023, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on what you want out of the duo.

Sham + Warrior is by far the best for just plowing through levels. Shaman has all the tools to keep War in zerk. If you're just trying to get to 60 ASAP and raid this is the answer. Get the war a fungi, the best worn haste possible, and a big 2 hander and its cruise control to 60.

If you're aiming to do tricky / risky / hard cash camps, then SK is better suited. Safer FD pulls / snare splits / etc...but their dmg pales vs War.

The real best answer is monk...but if that isn't on the table my vote goes War so if/when you do get to 60 you actually have a worthwhile tank that can do harder stuff if you wind up with friends beyond the duo.

(fungi on the shaman will help a lot too if you can afford 2)
I dunno about that man. I’m not denying monks are an overall superior class than sk due to the raid scene. But a static duo I’d almost rather have sk. You lose dps and mitigation but you gain snap aggro and snare pulling. Most wipes I’ve seen are because the shaman couldn’t land a slow and the monk couldn’t hold aggro.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

I haven’t seen many if any wipes from a sham/monk duo due to aggro and inability to land slow. Typically at that level of gameplay where a slow is critically needed to succeed - both players are seasoned enough that they know how to roll with the punches. Wipes under these circumstances is honestly a player skill issue.

Snap aggro is less important in this duo to be honest … unlike a group scenario where you’re competing with rogues.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 10-31-2023, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dunno about that man. I’m not denying monks are an overall superior class than sk due to the raid scene. But a static duo I’d almost rather have sk. You lose dps and mitigation but you gain snap aggro and snare pulling. Most wipes I’ve seen are because the shaman couldn’t land a slow and the monk couldn’t hold aggro.
huh? you literally root, then slow...and the monk has control every single time

theres no way SK/shaman is better than monk/shaman for standard leveling and basic camps

sure...for difficult duo camps ill take the SK...but the OP never specified this and odds are that isn't the goal of the duo