Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Sarnak

I don't think I have ever even considered XP penalty while forming a group. If I need you, I look for you. I find rangers useful but not essential for all areas.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humerox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2-boxing was only a valid argument at the very beginning, (not correct, just had some validity) when everyone thought the server would see no more than 150 or so.

arguing for 2-boxing on a server with ~20k accounts...well...and I still see "I'm new!" posts almost daily.
I agree, boxing is only really optimal imo when you don't have anyone to group with.

I never boxed on live but on EZ server by the time I was done I ran up to 11 toons at a time at some points. Mostly because to progress there you need to have a group or assistance from a player geared past the encounter. Since I didn't care to become a begger and population was lower I started adding toons to become self sufficient.

I would still group with other players because thats the best aspect of MMOs as far as I am concerned. However, some would not and some abused boxing to hold multiple camps at once.

I have no problem finding groups when I look for them on P99, and strongly believe boxing would be beneficial for a few and irritating/destructive for the majority.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Boxing doesn't have to be a bad thing though. If the number of boxes is limited to two characters logged in at once, then that is still 3 players per full group. If some of the members aren't boxing, then you could have 5 players in a group.

I would always welcome other players into my group.
Just...stop talking. Boxing is ALWAYS a bad thing.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Sarnak

Nice discussion about boxing. Seeing what it's done to the social fabric on live servers, I'm happy not to have it here.

I can think of one more reason not to allow it as well -- since p1999 is free aside from ads and donations, boxing drives up costs without increasing revenue. It's bad for the server twice.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vohl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
boxing drives up costs without increasing revenue. It's bad for the server twice.
This is another good point that I didn't even think about.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdegere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think I have ever even considered XP penalty while forming a group. If I need you, I look for you. I find rangers useful but not essential for all areas.
This would be the issue. Rangers aren't useful in all areas. In a group 4/6 or 5/6 the last slot or last two slots can be filled better by most other classes. Only times rangers get groups are

A. When you know them
B. When you are settling with them
C. When you are playing classic EQ where people don't min/max or grind to grind.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by menadwen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How about this. You can box if you pay something like $5 a box. Would help the server.
That would likely cause legal ramifactions and still be objectionable to a lot of the player base.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by menadwen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How about this. You can box if you pay something like $5 a box. Would help the server.
$5 would help the server for like, 212 seconds.
The Bane of Bixies©
Huge halfling balls.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

I was hoping they would ban the accounts, then all those people would want to roll new characters on R99.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3 2-boxers holding down mycnoid spore king or crypt. But already it seems like those aren't camps that a PuG can get into, they are guild groups so that point is moot (If this statement is incorrect, correct me but that's what I've gathered from OoC)
Good players earn good reputations and can essentially get groups wherever they want regardless of their guild, because they'll be wanted.

I grouped at crypt, emp, juggs, reets, spore king, etc all within the first month of Kunark as a guildless PuG.

lol wut
Closed Thread