Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Kobold

Default Druid Charm Soloing 16 lvl, Help.

Name: Redix 16 druid
Strategy: This is where I need a little help, so I charm a DarkBlue then send him after another DarkBlue wait untill he wins or loses. If he wins then I let him kill the guy and move on to the next DarkBlue. If he loses I let him die and run and get another pet to finish him off. ( snaring the main target the whole time ) . When I get a new pet he doesn't take the exp because he didn't do 1/2 the dmg right ? I was wondering if you change pets how that works? Should I never let the pet kill the Main Target ?
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Sarnak

Never done it as a druid, only a chanter. Here's what I would do:

1) Charm Mob A
2) Target Mob B and root it.
3) Send in Mob A to attack B.
4) Let them fight until both are low health.
5) Keep Mob B rooted at all times.
6) Break charm when both almost dead and kill both for full exp.

You can use heal on Mob A or nuke/dot Mob B to keep their
health at about the same level.

If Mob B dies before A and you have A charmed, then pet takes half XP.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone88 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never done it as a druid, only a chanter. Here's what I would do:

1) Charm Mob A
2) Target Mob B and root it.
3) Send in Mob A to attack B.
4) Let them fight until both are low health.
5) Keep Mob B rooted at all times.
6) Break charm when both almost dead and kill both for full exp.

You can use heal on Mob A or nuke/dot Mob B to keep their
health at about the same level.

If Mob B dies before A and you have A charmed, then pet takes half XP.
I use about the same but i do snare, but I dont heal my pet it seems counter productive. But i see what you mean you want them both super low so you can finish them off. I will give this a try thank you.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

This is probably a really stupid question, but ... why are you a sewing machine?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Planar Protector

I have to disagree with the above charm methods. Here's how I did it as a druid and IMO the most efficient way to do it if you have plenty of animals to work with (e.g. in EK):

1) Grab a pet. Should be the lowest dark blue you can find that isn't light blue. Only way to really tell this is from experience with the zone and knowledge of different mobs' levels.

2) Find any other mob. Can be dark blue, even con, or yellow. Doesn't need to be an animal. Experiment and see what works best for you, but the method below does not change.

3) Snare the enemy mob and send your pet at it. Manage aggro between your pet and the mob by using Flame Lick, Snare, or similar cheap, high-aggro spells. The idea here is that you want both mobs to be low HP at the same time. When you don't want your pet to be taking hits, you should be aggro kiting. This is preferable to fear because it is more reliable; there is no danger of your kite going somewhere you don't want it to go. Also, you don't need to worry about your spells being resisted because the aggro is the same regardless (I think).

4) When both mobs are low HP, break charm (Hide does the trick if it works, Invis to Animals is fine too) and kill both mobs with DoTs. Use the lowest mana cost DoT that still kills them; you generally don't need to waste mana on your best DoT at this point since their HP will be low.

Benefits of this method: 1) You only need one animal to charm. 2) You don't waste mana healing your pet. 3) Every spell you cast here is cheap mana-wise. 4) You have a lot of freedom in whatever mob you target to kill. 5) You get two kills every time you do this method, and generally speaking have very little downtime before you can go on to do it again. 6) It's safe and reliable.

Having charmed as both and enchanter and a druid, I have to say that a druid is a way better charmer, given that you can find a place with plenty of animals to charm, because you have tools like snare and SoW at your disposal allowing you to manage aggro between your pet and yourself. Enchanter charming is more versatile (in that you don't need to target animals), but much dicier in other ways: you need to worry about what mob dies first, what to do if one mob dies while the other has a lot of HP left, and so on. With a druid, you can guarantee both mobs die at the same time, which is a huge benefit.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

A few comments to Etsu:

1. Don't bother trying to bounce aggro. It's a waste of your time and mana. Instead just med while they fight and break it whenever one of them is near death, even if the other is at 90%. Kill the low HP one and find a new pet to fight your 90% mob. Just keep it snared.
2. Don't bother with DoTs to finish mobs. If you're in an outdoor zone and using snare (as opposed to indoors where you want to root), the mobs will be running and therefore take 2/3rds of the full DoT damage. Which ends up making a nuke more efficient at almost any level. Keeping up your 2 most recent nukes to use when a mob is at 10% and at 2% helps save you mana also.
3. If don't right you should use mana on 4 spells: charm, snare, nuke, invis. Shouldn't need to DoT, root, fear, or aggro at all.*. I guess keeping up SoW too.

*indoors is a different story. At higher levels in kedge or Chardok you want to root everything.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A few comments to Etsu:

1. Don't bother trying to bounce aggro. It's a waste of your time and mana. Instead just med while they fight and break it whenever one of them is near death, even if the other is at 90%. Kill the low HP one and find a new pet to fight your 90% mob. Just keep it snared.
2. Don't bother with DoTs to finish mobs. If you're in an outdoor zone and using snare (as opposed to indoors where you want to root), the mobs will be running and therefore take 2/3rds of the full DoT damage. Which ends up making a nuke more efficient at almost any level. Keeping up your 2 most recent nukes to use when a mob is at 10% and at 2% helps save you mana also.
3. If don't right you should use mana on 4 spells: charm, snare, nuke, invis. Shouldn't need to DoT, root, fear, or aggro at all.*. I guess keeping up SoW too.

*indoors is a different story. At higher levels in kedge or Chardok you want to root everything.
Great tips in this thread. Thank you.

I have been doing some charming as well and have not quite gotten the hang of from an efficiency standpoint. Practice makes perfect!

One question about pet XP drain: If the pet is killed by the mob does the pet's share of the XP poof? If I then grab another pet will it drain 50% of the remaining XP if I do not invis or hide?

Thanks!

Caib
P99 blue
Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One question about pet XP drain: If the pet is killed by the mob does the pet's share of the XP poof? If I then grab another pet will it drain 50% of the remaining XP if I do not invis or hide?
Few beers into my night but, let me try to understand this question:

IF you have a pet, that is charmed, and it is killed while charmed, does the EXP poof?

--If your pet dies while charmed you get no EXP and the corpse disappears immediately.

Basically this is how pet EXP works:

If your pet does more than 50% of the damage done to the mob, it takes that 50% exp share.

Example:

Mob had 1000 HP
Pet does 800 DMG
Pet Breaks
You Nuke for 150 (of 200 remaining)
You Charm new Pet
Pet does 50 remaining DMG

--You get full EXP

TL;DR When charm breaks, it completely resets damage. Even if you recharm that same mob.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A few comments to Etsu:

Was trying charming all day, this strategy made it so a yellow croc killed about 3 blues croc before he died. so i got 1 yellow kill and 3 blues was awesome exp. and simple. This is the way i will do it from now on. thank you
Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Few beers into my night but, let me try to understand this question:

IF you have a pet, that is charmed, and it is killed while charmed, does the EXP poof?

--If your pet dies while charmed you get no EXP and the corpse disappears immediately.

Basically this is how pet EXP works:

If your pet does more than 50% of the damage done to the mob, it takes that 50% exp share.

Example:

Mob had 1000 HP
Pet does 800 DMG
Pet Breaks
You Nuke for 150 (of 200 remaining)
You Charm new Pet
Pet does 50 remaining DMG

--You get full EXP

TL;DR When charm breaks, it completely resets damage. Even if you recharm that same mob.
Sorry for not being clear. My question has to do with the 50% XP the pet takes. This scenario:

Mob has 1000 HP
Charmed pet does 900
Mob kills pet
I nuke mob for 100

Do I get 50% XP for the mob or 100%? I understand the pet corpse will fade immediately and I will get no XP for pet's death. I am wondering if the pet takes his 50% to the grave with him.

Thanks,

Caib
P99 Blue
Closed Thread