Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First off... Thank you Haynar.

I logged into North Ro to see how this new lighting worked and I couldn't be more happy. It was like I was back on Classic. It sparked a memory of hunting Dervishes solo on my live Rogue, with rain pouring down and only the bandit's campfire to illuminate the night as nightmarish creatures roamed the dunes...

Lanterns, Torches, my character's Dance of the Fireflies spell, were all so comically useless before. I was doing some testing for brightness and confirmed the items have different levels/fields of illumination. Firefly Globe gave off a soft orange glow, whereas a Small Lantern was much brighter and had a greater field of effect. I can also confirm my Infra-vision had a noticeable effect after those first ten seconds or so it takes to kick in.

My User Interface is certainly darker, but nothing unmanageable. Maybe a few of my darker color hotkeys/text fields will need to be brightened but it's nothing like some of the screenshots I've been seeing posted here. Totally usable.

I'm not like these other savages, Haynar, I'm not so addled with ADHD that I need to keep EverQuest in a window in the corner of my screen while I watch a movie and browse Facebook while Skyping my nephew on a separate monitor.

Full screen in this new lighting is all the immersion I've ever wanted. I can't wait to see those hapless Humans and their ilk stumble around the night and bump into trees. Perhaps I'll offer them A Torch...
you're a dumbass

-sixsix
-blue
Old 12-02-2014, 04:57 AM
Large Rat

I can't see the icons for my armor anymore they are so dark, but the whites are still (1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f). Likewise the default green for the ooc chat in the default UI is 1/4 the brightness it previously was. The game is playing really in the wrong portion of the gamma curve.

Not sure how you guys are modifying the client; but if you can't access the frame buffer and modify the gamma there directly then don't do it at all please.

If you do have access to the frame buffer then see how to do it correctly here:

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPU...ems3_ch24.html
Old 12-02-2014, 05:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My User Interface is certainly darker, but nothing unmanageable. Maybe a few of my darker color hotkeys/text fields will need to be brightened but it's nothing like some of the screenshots I've been seeing posted here. Totally usable.

I'm not like these other savages, Haynar, I'm not so addled with ADHD that I need to keep EverQuest in a window in the corner of my screen while I watch a movie and browse Facebook while Skyping my nephew on a separate monitor.
I'm pretty sure what the pages of this thread is telling Haynar is that different systems with different cards, drivers, and operating systems are having different results with how much is changed with this patch involving the darkness and gamma.

And you have absolutely zero (0) clue if the people reporting back are using windowed mode while dealing with a crap darkened UI + chat lettering or not. I personally use full screen on two different machines, with Win 7 + GTX 750 ti sc card on one and Win XP SP3 + GT 620 on the other, and I'm getting shit on both.

Using F.lux results in getting some of my UI and lettering to look halfways normal, but it still looks like complete ass. And it's NOT classic in tint or brightness.

All of that said, if there's something unique that people are doing with their machines that lessen the effect to make it look like classic, I'm all ears to try it.

Edit - both machines and their cards were updated to the latest November 2014 drivers. It didn't help.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latege [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://i.imgur.com/1qHqK2Y
http://i.imgur.com/GgxBVO7

These look a little brighter than in game but hopefully you can get the jist of it. You can see the UI is way too dark as well.
Screenshots dont show Gamma, because its entirely based on the gamma of the person viewing the screenshot, which makes them look perfectly fine. Have to bust out your cell phone.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catherin- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not necessarily the game itself being darker that bothers me, but the fact that it has darkened my UI, and also darkens every other aspect of my computer OUTSIDE of the game that is the problem.

I shouldn't have to deal with a darkened gamma forced on everything else I am doing outside of this game.
I agree completely with this. It's making P99 almost unplayable for me, especially because I like to play while I do work.

This change is implemented in a really really poor way. I can barely see anything, and it hurts my eyes. This really needs to be undone. You're taking the "classic" mantra too far here.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Screenshots dont show Gamma, because its entirely based on the gamma of the person viewing the screenshot, which makes them look perfectly fine. Have to bust out your cell phone.
Just imagine everything in that first picture is 100% black except the geonid in the background. Cannot see floor or walls at all, or differentiate between them.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Sarnak

The real question is why is EQ effecting all of the windows OS now. It's almost like theres a screen capture overlay running and the gamma is being controlled there.
Like how you can set the gamma in different video recording programs and it effects every program.
I dunno but im going to start going through these patches and if I find screen capture, mouse trackers and or key loggers im gonna be pretty pissed.
For you guys to come out and just say "ya this was intentional for classic immersion" seems odd because everyone knows it wasn't classic.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Fire Giant

P99 .dlls affecting display changes on our PCs outside our game window is a hack. This change is not classic it is a hack. The reason it happens is because EQ is changing the gamma exponent of the display, instead of changing the gamma exponent of the Direct3D device it uses to render the game.
Last edited by getsome; 12-02-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Old 12-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Planar Protector

For as long as I've played EQ in a window the in game gamma setting always affected the OS? It was usually the other way around for me though, everything would brighten up when eq launched. Now at 100% I have no brightening or darkening. Ui looks properly exposed and game looks properly dark.

Have yall tried setting 100% in game, camping (not /q), restarting your machine, and then trying?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Kobold

i found (a guildie told me) a solution, temporal solution... (dunno if anyone said it here already)

open the command promp Win + R

type: dccw.exe

Click "next step" 3 times

Move teh bar to adjust your gamme.

It works until you zone, when Everquest then Touches your config again, what i do is to keep that window open and touch it after each zone .

PD: I do not know why Everquest have to touch my PC Config, dont know if thats good

60 Shaman - Spertox <Omni>