Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

Nobody can say for sure what the result will be until it's tried. Afterall, the TMO megaguild was an unintended consequence of 4 day variance. This server is a perpetual work in progress and I don't see what the harm would be to try some of these ideas for a few weeks and then guage the waters then. I doubt there will be any lasting damage to the player base that isn't already going on through attrition right now.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Kobold

I like the idea of testing stuff, this is what makes the best results in software development [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalpow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right, and it shouldn't be like this. What does Asgard, Acyrid, FC, FV etc have to look forward to? This shit isn't fun, there's no skill involved seeing which way VS or Trak sways to determine who deserves the kill, it's stupid that the status quo is training in VP.

The GMs have taken a hands off approach, and I don't blame them, the situation is entirely stupid. This is why I propose a boycott of TMO, they are the guild refusing to play ball.
Small guilds simply don't involve themselves in contested mobs. Say this variance thing is removed. It would only result in Divinity, BDA, Taken?, Acyrid? getting some of TMO's targets. Small guilds simply don't have the vast resources available all the time to kill these mobs in short order, even though within their ranks they are fully capable. Small guilds are still racing each other for fear/hate after it got AOE killed by bigger guilds or getting lucky for a fully repopulated zone.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldolma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
18 hours isn't going to be the rapid-fire respawn that you seem to think it is. It takes less than 20 minutes for TMO to mobilize and take down a mob once it spawns. Multiple priority targets popping at the same time is going to be the exception, not the rule. Maybe they'll choose to let a Maestro, Sev, or Talendor slide every now and then, but they're not going to have any problem at all taking down Trak, VS, Inny, CT, VP, and Gore. They don't even have any real competition for VP and Gore.

There are two scenarios given an 18-hour variance. One is that TMO will go zone to zone annihilating everything as it spawns, and the only hope other guilds will have is to poopsock. This is the most likely scenario.

The other is that TMO will poopsock Trak and/or VS with BDA for 18 hours.

There's one thing in common with both of those scenarios: return of the sock. It's not classic, it's not how the endgame was meant to be played, and there's no reason for it. There are 9,000 better ways to cater to a small European population that, as Autotune pointed out, doesn't even comprise a guild of their own at the moment.
You're very right, 18hrs is not going to make it rapid fire respawn every time it comes around, but that's not exactly what it's intended to do.

While you get the 18hr windows, you basically only deal with them every other week. Guilds would get bi-weekly repops (something that should be in already) and then the next week they get the variance. 18hrs won't give them rapid fire repops, but does put urgency into targets as well as priority when it comes to decision making for guilds.

BDA can take out most (if not all) of VP. Divinity can kill many of the kunark dragons solo, same with taken and some of the other guilds (only difficult one being gore). Smaller guilds can take out some of the same dragons and other targets.

I honestly see nearly every raid capable guild joining in and taking a slice of the pie where they can and as previous p99 history tells me, during repops most guilds try to travel the path of least resistance.

All this does is eliminate the advantage that huge guilds hold over small guilds. If nothing else, it gets the smaller/normal guilds involved.

Who cares if they poop sock a few windows here and there, odds are that they won't have to poop sock long, if even at all. Not all windows ride out to a poopsock.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
BDA can take out most (if not all) of VP.
First let me say I sincerely appreciate your input and polite conduct in this discussion.

Secondly, lets all not forget that we need the GMs to remove this silliness of legal training in VP.

It was never tolerated on live and should not be tolerated here.

Asher
Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First let me say I sincerely appreciate your input and polite conduct in this discussion.

Secondly, lets all not forget that we need the GMs to remove this silliness of legal training in VP.

Asher
Eh? You say that as if it's a shocker lol

on your second point, we definitely disagree.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Asher
It was tolerated on live.
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not like it really matters, there hasn't been an European guild on the server for ages. Another victim of huge variance windows.
what about Europa :P? Although I wouldn't say we are a huge factor in the raid scene ( maybe one day, if all of our MIA members come back after the summer)
Valkommen Farval - 57 Epic Human Preserver
Eddey Lizzard - 53 Iksar Champion
Wiliamm Wallace - 49 Epic Barbarian Rogue
Shaman Epic Faction Service
<Europa>
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what about Europa :P? Although I wouldn't say we are a huge factor in the raid scene ( maybe one day, if all of our MIA members come back after the summer)
I should have said raiding capable euro guild lol. I actually don't know if you guys are raid capable, but i haven't seen anything to even suggest that you guys are. No offenses.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarti0001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was tolerated on live.
Honestly on live there was legal training in every zone on tallon zek, not sure if they did anything it on blue servers. It was a tactic, it could be countered or used to advantage. Of course with pvp and zoneline control it was sort of your own fault if you got trained but hey that is a whole other discussion.

Anyway, I would just like to say I am not a fan of how the GM staff uses this selective process of reverting features to "classic" while other things like this variance situation are kept in a non-classic state because its their general opinion of what is best for the server. So many features of everquest that were added over the course of several years have been removed simply to make the game less user friendly (target rings, pet window, compass, /tgb, the more advanced item descriptions, ect.) These are UI enhancements that give players no benefit really outside of generalized convenience.Yet they are removed in some sort of bizzaro crusade to get the interface close to classic while numerous mechanics and server settings remain decidedly not classic. Some things you can hide behind the argument that it is unprovable but the variance situation is documented.
Closed Thread