Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Orc

Default Monks: Weapons

Ok, I know this has been done to death in various forms, if you have a post you feel answers this question please direct me to it as I am unable to locate it.

This is only about monk damage below lvl 50 as it seems there is some pretty good parsed numbers out there for monk dmg beyond 50.

With FBSS, what setups are doing the most dmg? Let's forget the obvious like T-Staffs, SoS's, and RFS's for a second. Most of those reach beyond the extent of our bank accounts and it would seem to reason that they would top the charts anyways so I don't really see the point in going over it.

Some obvious choices are

IFS
Peacebringer
Jade Mace
Knuckle Duster
Adamantite Club

Does anyone have any hard data on this? Anyone have any experiential conclusions they swear by? Interested to hear your opinions.

It's hard(for me) to theoretically come to a conclusion when considering things like faster weapons increasing the chance to double attack and mainhand bonus with faster weapons. I've seen monks with FBSS under 50 dual wield KD's and do some pretty serious dmg, swearing they'd rather have a KD in the main hand than something fast like a JM.

I would think that something like dual AC's would do some pretty serious dmg with FBSS.

Here is all I have to contribute from my own personal experience. It is limited to 2h b, but so far I prefer faster weapons. This might very well be because these are still levels where we experience a lot of missed hits and we're not double attacking as often as one would beyond 50. But, for example, I prefer WQS over Staff of Battle and noticed enough difference after trying both to side with WQS.

If you have any good info, I think it could help a lot of people out. The server is packed with monks with access to these weaps below 50. Thanks to anyone who contributes.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Orc

Anyone who has dual KD's is a fail monk. It's speed for mainhand, ratio for off, which is why through Kunark the best combo was epic fist (9/16) and SoS. Now, this was during a time when AC's were super rare, so I'm rather ignorant about those. That said, there's a weapon dmg bonus for 2HB that are 28 or under, so Wu's @HB is pretty great. With haste though, you can rock IFS until you snag an epic/SoS or TStaff combo.

Also, Hi Claax.

Ceebeegee - 27 Monk, always LFG
<Explorers of Norrath>
Old 05-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Orc

Default Interesting but...

How viable is it for a monk to stick with bare fists until 50?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who has dual KD's is a fail monk.
I disagree. KDs are great weapons and they look awesome. A Kunark era <50 monk dual wielding KDs is so very much far from fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's speed for mainhand, ratio for off
Keeping a viable ratio on your mainhand is important as well: at lower levels, before quads are regular, two KDs (14:28) beat a Master Wu's Trance Stick (7:18) & a KD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth781 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How viable is it for a monk to stick with bare fists until 50?
I would very much recommend against it. There are great weapons available for monks that far beat fists and they are going cheap.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tverian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would very much recommend against it. There are great weapons available for monks that far beat fists and they are going cheap.
Just starting out in the world here on the server, no real money to speak of. It's taken me 4 levels of my career just to scrape up 4 plat. When should I get weapons, what should I get and how much will it cost me?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Depends where you are for what would work best, but:

In a few levels start to kill grizzly bears (NK is best) for High Quality Bear Skins and Grizzly Bear Skins (not thick) and sell them to tailors. Save up what you can for some magic gloves (mesh, wu's, or lupine) or weapons (see below) so you can hunt wisps, then vendor the lightstones for almost 1p each and save up the greater lightstones to turn in here or here, vendoring the reward for almost 10p/ea.

Buy whatever weapons are available in EC: Essence of Dol; Fighting Baton; Master Wu's Trance Stick; Journeyman's Walking Stick; Cane of Tranquil; all of which go for 50-300p/ea. Check here and here.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

Claax where u been

Team Tripod

I'd rather be fishing
Closed Thread