Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Fire Giant

This has been discussed to death. See the 9 page RnF bait in the tank section (linked below).
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=279590
Old 08-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Kobold

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

As well as the hilarious ideas of being a stealth derp tank (rouge anon warrior had me laugh pretty hard)

I think I may try ogre war and troll SK and derp around with both and see which one bites better.

Again thank you for the suggestions
Old 08-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

As well as the hilarious ideas of being a stealth derp tank (rouge anon warrior had me laugh pretty hard)

I think I may try ogre war and troll SK and derp around with both and see which one bites better.

Again thank you for the suggestions
I played a halfling warrior to 40, then got my ogre warrior to 49. I solo'd on both predominantly. I found the ogre noticeably more hard hitting and just tankier overall. Same gears mind you.

Either it's the FSI, the massive STR and STA difference or everything together but hands down I found the ogre more fun and more powerful doing what I like to do, which is solo.

**Good thing is, even though you are huge and fat, you do have cobalt bracer to shrink yourself AND others! It's always fun to shrink people who hate being shrunk. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Personally the massive size annoyed me, so I splurged and made myself ant potions to use on my ogre with my shaman when I needed to before I could use the cobalt bracer.

Another thing I found was I didn't need to shrink when outdoors because mobs are generally huge in outdoor locations... Just in dungeons was it needed and that's where cobalt bracer comes in handy once you 45 lvl and can use it.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:45 AM
Fire Giant

Monks are already the best damage mitigators for group based stuff. Just get yourself some stun proc weapons and watch as your cleric sits at FM so much that he starts nuking.

Now if you plan on doing harder stuff down the line (halls of testing, or raid targets) youll need a warrior. SK and Paladins are only good for offtanking adds in certain zones like kael. Paladins also get a +200hp buff which stacks with aego so it's nice to have a paladin around.

I know there's plenty of things that paladins and SK's are also good at, but theyre terrible damage mitigators compared to monks for group based stuff. They can tank harder stuff (like at halls of testing) but it's such a huge stress on healers, and if you're not geared up through the teeth then one bad attack round from a mob will bring you down.

SK's are fun to mess around on because of FD.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:13 AM
Planar Protector

Can confirm a SK on a Velious raid is fairly boring...and having a rogue main I always felt like bringing the SK was pointless if it wasn't for plate pixels
Old 08-23-2017, 06:49 AM
Planar Protector

Warrior:

You will do more damage than knights. You will be far more gear dependent, thus this is the most expensive tank to equip up to a functional level. With great twinkage you can solo, but even a paladin will do this better outside of fungi at low level. Comparably geared knights will generally always solo better from a survivability standpoint. The warrior may kill faster over blocks of time but vs tougher content or when shit hits the fan you're left with the options of just laying over dead or skittering to a zone like. Knights have spells that allow for a greater margin of safety with self heals, FD, snare, root etc. Defensively you're the best but knights will allow for more efficient use of healer mana as there won't be aggro bounce. Vs raid targets and brutal melee content, from 52 onwards no other class comes close. Even with the best gear aggro management requires your group to at least not be idiots - though being competent is ideal. You never know when that first proc will happen, but generally after that first proc is in you should be ok if you chose your weapons wisely and your group is capable.

SK:

You will do less damage than warrior but more than paladin. You can self heal but it's kinda weak and mana inefficient. Aggro is trivial, you will shine here. With FD and invis you are the most mobile. Fear kiting makes solo easy in many places but you won't kill anything fast. Did I mention FD? Biggest perk by far of the SK class. Groups will want you around - you make a good tank with solid aggro. Raids will be boring.

Paladin:

Depending on how you measure power, this class undeniably brings the most power to the table. Your personal dps is the lowest of the 3. Your survivability vs tough content is far beneath warrior from 52 onward but superior to SK (assuming the SK doesn't just fd and let everyone else die). Though the least offensive and not the most defensive, it's in the factoring in of everything else where total paladin power is best demonstrated. You have on demand root. You have capable heals - enough so that you could pretend to be a priest and situationally fill that role. You have stuns. You can lull. You eventually get Rez. You get a fairly good heal over time. You get meaningful buffs to self and others. LoH can save the day. Soloing is slow due to low dps but you can heal yourself, root the mob, and recover to keep fighting. Smart groups will want you and smart groups will prefer you over SK given the choice (and equal gear). On raids you shouldn't be expecting to tank big stuff if a warrior is around, but you will always have an important job of healing when the clerics are occupied with the cheal chain.

That's my take in a nutshell.

Race?

Pick what you want. Ultimately race choice is a lot less important than some feel it to be but certain races have an obvious advantage.

Minmax for warrior is Ogre/iksar
Minmax for paladin is dwarf by a long shot.
Minmax for SK is Ogre.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warrior:

You will do more damage than knights. You will be far more gear dependent, thus this is the most expensive tank to equip up to a functional level. With great twinkage you can solo, but even a paladin will do this better outside of fungi at low level. Comparably geared knights will generally always solo better from a survivability standpoint. The warrior may kill faster over blocks of time but vs tougher content or when shit hits the fan you're left with the options of just laying over dead or skittering to a zone like. Knights have spells that allow for a greater margin of safety with self heals, FD, snare, root etc. Defensively you're the best but knights will allow for more efficient use of healer mana as there won't be aggro bounce. Vs raid targets and brutal melee content, from 52 onwards no other class comes close. Even with the best gear aggro management requires your group to at least not be idiots - though being competent is ideal. You never know when that first proc will happen, but generally after that first proc is in you should be ok if you chose your weapons wisely and your group is capable.

SK:

You will do less damage than warrior but more than paladin. You can self heal but it's kinda weak and mana inefficient. Aggro is trivial, you will shine here. With FD and invis you are the most mobile. Fear kiting makes solo easy in many places but you won't kill anything fast. Did I mention FD? Biggest perk by far of the SK class. Groups will want you around - you make a good tank with solid aggro. Raids will be boring.

Paladin:

Depending on how you measure power, this class undeniably brings the most power to the table. Your personal dps is the lowest of the 3. Your survivability vs tough content is far beneath warrior from 52 onward but superior to SK (assuming the SK doesn't just fd and let everyone else die). Though the least offensive and not the most defensive, it's in the factoring in of everything else where total paladin power is best demonstrated. You have on demand root. You have capable heals - enough so that you could pretend to be a priest and situationally fill that role. You have stuns. You can lull. You eventually get Rez. You get a fairly good heal over time. You get meaningful buffs to self and others. LoH can save the day. Soloing is slow due to low dps but you can heal yourself, root the mob, and recover to keep fighting. Smart groups will want you and smart groups will prefer you over SK given the choice (and equal gear). On raids you shouldn't be expecting to tank big stuff if a warrior is around, but you will always have an important job of healing when the clerics are occupied with the cheal chain.

Race?

Pick what you want. Ultimately race choice is a lot less important than some feel it to be but certain races have an obvious advantage.

Minmax for SK is Ogre.
I never leveled a SK past 20 on this server, but thought of making one just because of the mobility they have and FD being an option to survive nearly any bad encounter.

Iksar SK someday will be able to work Greenmist which looks really nice, also not being massive is a plus. I wish SKs had the equivalent of a cobalt bracer to shrink the fatties... Using pots is ok for a bit, but over time I'd hate to have to keep popping ant pots if I was an ogre.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warrior:

SK:

Paladin:

Race?

Minmax for SK is Ogre.
I'm not sure I agree on the Dwarf. At 60, especially in raid gear, wisdom is the most superior stat for a Paladin, and High Elves really shine here. I think Dwarf is best if you're gonna be super casual and never really raid

Same with Shadowknight, I think I'd rather have SK over Ogre just because of that Awesome AC bonus, but I guess that one could really go either way.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

Warrior if you wanna sit around LFG and can't do much on your own, then tank all the biggest dragons someday.
SK if you wanna have fun invising and FDing freely around the world, but still be a gimped necro/monk by the end of the day.
Palathing if you wanna cast Divine Barrier on people and look cute.

Knights are pretty useless overall, warrior is a better investment long term.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Planar Protector

Useless?

Hardly ... unless your existence on p99 is limited to logging in for batphone raids. Knights fill their role exceedingly well and have a clearly defined purpose for 99% of eq. The only area they don't have that clearly defined role for is raiding.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Closed Thread