Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Aviak

Default Just plain nuts

Let's get something out of the way, I just lost interest in playing on this server (and eqemu in general) for about 6 months. I think anyway, I haven't been writing down playdates or anything.

Recently I got the urge again and reinstalled titanium. When I remembered my password for my old account I logged back into this server.

Ok, use that any way you want to.

My point is this: this whole xp penalty thing is utterly nuts. What rational basis do you have for it as it works now?

Ok halflings get a 5% bonus? The one that supposedly was given to halflings instead of humans in original eq due to database error? Then never corrected as it was considered to be too disruptive?

Explain this to me. I get you made a mistake and gave ogres the halfling bonus, and have corrected it.

But why in the name of any EQ god are you giving them a 5% bonus? What about their racial stats or abilities gives you the idea they need one as opposed to humans who it was supposed to go to in original eq?

Just because it worked this way in original EQ you have to do it all over again?

Let me get this straight. As I understand this you want the original class/race penalties and bonuses to apply. Even if they weren't what was intended (at least from the original game manuals you got with the box). Even if they make no sense (the troll sk with his huge xp penalty vs. the erudite necro).

Then, if you are following the game revision history as slavishly as you appear to be, you are going to "fix" it sometime in Velious?

That point may be up in the air, and I might misunderstand the timetable of when these things were revised in the original game.

But what planet does this whole stupid, convoluted idiocy make sense?

You know how Kunark is (or should evolve) if you fix AC properly, and your server more closely emulates the way it was:

Hybrids won't be very good. I know pals/sk's always have better snap and sustained aggro, but the difference between warrior tankage and hybrid tankage is too much even with xp groups in this era. Plus the damage advantage of warriors with kunark era weapons is pretty sizeable.

I don't remember anyone wanting a hybrid for much of anything in kunark. Since Kunark class armor (deepwater, etc) was tradeable they weren't even useful to loot no drop items. I mean you can always sell your moss to a twink in the EC tunnel.

So why exactly do hybrids have this penalty? I know they hold and get aggro better than warriors, but is that going to be enough for people to want them in a group? Over a warrior?

You people aren't stupid. Plus you have played this game and know how everything played out.

So what exactly is going through your head? I just don't get it.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

"Project 1999 is a free to play Emulated Everquest Server giving Players the opportunity to experience Classic EQ Once again, starting with the original 3 continents and a max level of 50, with the look and feel of the old interface and several modifications making game mechanics similar to how the game used to be."

Weird...it's like their doing what they said they wanted to do. Bastards.

Is this in RnF yet?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

Chewbacca is a wookie. Wookies are from Kashik. But Chewbacca is from Endor! It doesn't make sense! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, that is why you must change back the xp penalties.

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Kobold

k
Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Kobold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP-y4UKWYUw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
I have lots of neat tricks...
Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Fire Giant

IBTL/tossed to RnF.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Kobold

It's kinda cute (almost) he doesn't get the entire gist of the servers ruleset.

Shhhh no one tell him.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Aviak

Do we honestly need a 3rd topic about the exp penalties? Admins, I'm surprised you've put up with as much as you already have about this without locking these down.

Lets make it simple and reiterate what's already been said in the previous 2 threads.

1. This is a classic server that tries to emulate to the BEST of it's ability and time the devs have to put stuff in (even if it's late) to emulate the good and the BAD that was in the original classic EQ. Don't like it, you don't need to play on here, and the devs certainly don't and won't change things back after implementing a classic mechanic just because it makes it harder now, or benefits/worsens some classes over others.

2. If the devs started changing things that people just didn't "like" just because it wasn't liked then it no longer becomes a classic server. It becomes a server that only has the original game without any expansions. Not a "classic" server.

3. There's a reason this server is so popular, it's because the devs don't listen to these kinds of threads, and I hope to god that never changes, because if that does change, than it ruins the entire foundation this server was built upon which is to most "accurately" within the devs time/power emulate the classic experience as possible.

4. You can quit if you want and come back in late velious. In late velious is when the racial/class exp penalties were changed, so you can look forward to it changing sometime in the distant future when Velious is around.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Aviak

Well explain it to me.

For example what purpose is served by giving halfings a 5% bonus?

What purpose is served by the sk class penalty?

I get the gist of this server. I just don't get why some think it is necessary.

For the record, I won't be playing here much. Might make an iksar, so hopefully I can play in some of the Kunark zones with a crowd the way it used to be.

Maybe not though.

But please explain things to me. Explain to me the mechanics of why these penalties are warranted in particular.

And why hybrids sucking up so much group xp is warranted. Why the need even exists for them to have to suck up so much group xp.

Think about it. You give them a penalty. This penalty pretty much only applies to one thing, the tank role in a group and warriors vs. sk/pals.

None of the hybrids, except the bard (at different times charm/swarm nerfed broken, etc) can hold a candle to any caster class at soloing (even the cleric).

So you give them a penalty. Then they level too slow, so you make it so they take more xp in a group.

And this all makes total sense.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insedeel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do we honestly need a 3rd topic about the exp penalties? Admins, I'm surprised you've put up with as much as you already have about this without locking these down.

Lets make it simple and reiterate what's already been said in the previous 2 threads.

1. This is a classic server that tries to emulate to the BEST of it's ability and time the devs have to put stuff in (even if it's late) to emulate the good and the BAD that was in the original classic EQ. Don't like it, you don't need to play on here, and the devs certainly don't and won't change things back after implementing a classic mechanic just because it makes it harder now, or benefits/worsens some classes over others.

2. If the devs started changing things that people just didn't "like" just because it wasn't liked then it no longer becomes a classic server. It becomes a server that only has the original game without any expansions. Not a "classic" server.

3. There's a reason this server is so popular, it's because the devs don't listen to these kinds of threads, and I hope to god that never changes, because if that does change, than it ruins the entire foundation this server was built upon which is to most "accurately" within the devs time/power emulate the classic experience as possible.

4. You can quit if you want and come back in late velious. In late velious is when the racial/class exp penalties were changed, so you can look forward to it changing sometime in the distant future when Velious is around.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
No it doesn't. Not at all.

I'd like to know what the thoughts of the devs are on this. I want them to explain to the best of their ability what use these penalties are.

I'd like them to explain why what is about to happen to Rangers is good.

I'd really have like it 10 years ago if they had fired Abashi and Smedley had explained everything.

I'd also like you personally to explain what it is about the way xp is now that enhances the game for you. Why does that 40% hybrid penalty matter so much?

Can you answer that? I mean even a guess? Got anything?
Closed Thread