Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:55 AM
Fire Giant

Default Ranger solo

Hello!

I played an SK to level 42 and its been very fun. I made it since I was planning to group alot but now it seems that I almost enirely solo.

So I was thinking of making a ranger too and try it out. I was wondering how good do they meele compared to an SK for solo? I probably wont be using arrows much but a Woodsman staff and I can use the same armour on my ranger as on my sk.

Do rangers have slightly better DPS than SK and therefor can take down solo blue mobs faster which makes up for the lesser defence than the SK?
Old 04-01-2016, 05:34 AM
Fire Giant

Rangers have dual wield, SKs don't. Dual wielding 2 weapons usually is better DPS than just one big 2 hander (if those 1 handers are any good). Ranger damage spells are also more damaging then the Sks + you get a weak damage shield. So all in all, you can kill mobs faster while being more squishy.

From level 22 up you can fear kite with your ranger for very little mana investment. It's restricted to animals though. The best thing about rangers is tracking... i am really missing it on other chars.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers have dual wield, SKs don't. Dual wielding 2 weapons usually is better DPS than just one big 2 hander (if those 1 handers are any good). Ranger damage spells are also more damaging then the Sks + you get a weak damage shield. So all in all, you can kill mobs faster while being more squishy.
**best Trump voice** WRONG

Not only will a good two hander out parse most 1 hander setups (like...most meaning until you have your epics) you will take less damage from riposte and ds effects on mobs while meleeing.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
**best Trump voice** WRONG

Not only will a good two hander out parse most 1 hander setups (like...most meaning until you have your epics) you will take less damage from riposte and ds effects on mobs while meleeing.
Splitting hairs here.
I use both 2h and dual-wield and found the results to be comparable.

2h will get less ripostes, true, but it's also more unreliable dps. Sometimes you take a nice chunk off the enemy's hps; sometimes you whiff and your dps goes down the toilet. Dual-wield is, in general, more reliable dps - if we're both at, say, 40% life, and it's a race down to 0, I'd generally stick with dual-wield as I know exactly how fast I can get an enemy down. With 2h, it's a bit of a crapshoot. But it's not a huge difference either way, really, assuming similar ratio weapons.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaramis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Splitting hairs here.
I use both 2h and dual-wield and found the results to be comparable.

2h will get less ripostes, true, but it's also more unreliable dps. Sometimes you take a nice chunk off the enemy's hps; sometimes you whiff and your dps goes down the toilet. Dual-wield is, in general, more reliable dps - if we're both at, say, 40% life, and it's a race down to 0, I'd generally stick with dual-wield as I know exactly how fast I can get an enemy down. With 2h, it's a bit of a crapshoot. But it's not a huge difference either way, really, assuming similar ratio weapons.
It's going to greatly differ depending on what level you are. Due to skill caps and damage bonus, dual wield gets a lot better the higher you are. Up until the mid 40s, 2H is going to be much better, especially as a ranger that can cast spells between swings. Also, everything you said about being reliable is basically nonsense, there has never been an actual parse that backs up that statement.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, everything you said about being reliable is basically nonsense, there has never been an actual parse that backs up that statement.
And I have absolutely no intention of parsing to satisfy the neckbeards of this game.
Take 5 minutes and melee down some mobs using 2h and then dual wield. The kill speed overall will be similar, but the dual wield will be more reliable in the *time required*. 2h has a bit of variance based on misses.

That's all I'm saying, and anyone who's played must have noticed this.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:49 AM
Fire Giant

that comment about 2 dual wield over one 2h is false, post 20 the woodmans staff is the best dps item in game for rangers until epics...

rangers have some awesome utility and outdoors harmony/track are unmatched..they make great soloers

dont overlook the power of you bow, root/shoot is a great way to finish off mobs when you are low health
Old 04-01-2016, 05:50 AM
Fire Giant

Arrows dont break root?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by demokatt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Arrows dont break root?
No - never
Old 07-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by renordw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No - never
DD procing bows will though, however. Bow of the Huntsman, Windstriker, Warbow of Rallos Zek, etc. It's usually worth the extra mana to re-cast root for the damage.
Closed Thread