Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Planar Protector

I'll give some more feedback, if it's helpful:

with tash and 233cha:

two weeks ago when you got a bunch of "wtf is going on posts" the charm break rate went way up, for some reason. Something was done, and it went back to normal.

The exact, EXACT same thing is going on now. it's so bad that it's not worth charming anything now. My suspicion is that the server downtime reverted it in some way, but you guys might have other stuff going on.

My hope is that you guys are able to recognize that whatever tweaks you did massively messed up the resist/charm break rate.

hopefully this info is helpful!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrotos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're right. You could keep three rooted, once you rooted the 4th one one of the others broke and the mob would walk away if it was green con. Once you killed one of the three it would come back. Why? I have no clue.

I remember this while dicking around on live on my wizard. I was medding up at gfay spires and having a newbie train me with the bandits and a orc onto me. Was very odd thing so I always remembered it. I tried it on blues in hopes of figuring out a exploit, but wouldn't work.

And root always sucked. Anyone on live who played a caster will attest to this.
It's why chanters always mezzed instead of rooting, including non-casters. Predictable duration.

For the record, charming was never something we considered doing solo for xp until Dire Charm came along. There was a reason for this. I admit this "adjustment" would really tick a lot of P99 chanters off because *this* is what they're used to, but it wasn't like this on live, where I played a chanter from 99-03.

Blue: (Inactive)
Pinoit Pumpie, Elleyne
<Bregan D'Aerth>

TAKProject: (Inactive)
Marshmallow Staypuffed, Pinoit, Pinot, Piia, Dahria, Freyja, Inaera, Naga, Bhut, Mata

Green: (Inactive)
Echofreya
<Black Lotus>

Formerly:
Babayaaga Danaeis, Ellyn Danaeis
~Xegony
Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

some more feedback after talking with other enchanters on the server about how the resist fiddling has affected charm:

"it's insanely bad"
"fucking terrible"
and
"I stopped soloing. Way too dangerous"

this is my experience as well, and it is also with the backdrop of having played an enchanter on live between 1998 and 2003 -- whatever you guys tweaked has resulted in a massive nerf: again, it's the difference between "might die if not careful" and "probably going to die every time"
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babayaaga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the record, charming was never something we considered doing solo for xp until Dire Charm came along.
Speak for yourself. I charmed for XP during Kunark and Velious, and I was fucking terrible back then (plus 56k, parents picking up the phone on me, playing at 5 am before I had to go to school, etc).

Yeah, it was a lot safer with a duo, and yeah, p99 charm was almost certainly more powerful than it was on live. But if you didn't charm solo on live until dire charm, it's cause YOU were bad, not because live charm was bad.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 07-29-2014 at 09:02 PM..
Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Fire Giant

Sometimes you just want to cry:
It's bad when low lev resist my lev 56 root spell but even my epic snare ?
it s a snare that basicly should land on anything that isn't 100% MR.

[Wed Jul 30 13:09:56 2014] Your Nature Walkers Scimitar begins to glow.
[Wed Jul 30 13:10:05 2014] Your target resisted the Wrath of Nature spell.
[Wed Jul 30 13:10:05 2014] a desert madman says, 'Damn my eyes! You're just another mirage!'
[Wed Jul 30 13:10:06 2014] A desert madman tries to hit YOU, but misses!

[Wed Jul 30 13:35:52 2014] You begin casting Engorging Roots.
[Wed Jul 30 13:35:54 2014] a desert madman is to the left.
[Wed Jul 30 13:35:54 2014] You regain your concentration and continue your casting.
[Wed Jul 30 13:35:54 2014] Your target resisted the Engorging Roots spell.
[Wed Jul 30 13:35:54 2014] a desert madman says, 'Damn my eyes! You're just another mirage!'
[Wed Jul 30 13:35:56 2014] a desert madman is straight ahead.
[Wed Jul 30 13:35:56 2014] a desert madman begins to cast a spell.
[Wed Jul 30 13:35:58 2014] a desert madman is straight ahead.
[Wed Jul 30 13:35:58 2014] Your skin freezes over. You have taken 3 points of
-Taken-Taken II-

"I may not agree with what you say, but to your death I will defend your right to say it."
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
"To be able to think freely, a man must be certain that no consequence will follow whatever he writes."

CromCruach on Blue - Aurgelmirx on Green
Last edited by Crom; 07-30-2014 at 07:32 AM..
Old 07-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting idea. Dump the always a chance to resist if stats are debuffed. Will look at that.

My goal this week is to get doors coded into LoS code. So wish me luck. Will do some resist tweaks first maybe.

H
I love you.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Eh that would just unfairly favor enchanters and shamans. They really don't need any help.

If this is indeed a classic mechanic it should stay as is. Spells that are near unresistable (lifetaps, lures, swarm DoTs and the like) should have the chance removed. The overall chance could be lowered too I guess. I'm still waiting for one of these fabled "snake resists ice comet" screenshots though. Cause I really don't recall this being a classic mechanic.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Developer

So overall, I don't like the way min resist chance has been working out. However, it is what is causing root to break early and charm to break early.

So with respect to charm and root, in the current iteration of the code, are they breaking too often? Or not often enough?

So I am trying to adjust charm breaks and root breaks now.

H
Old 08-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

As a level 60, pre-patch, root almost never broke early on mobs 1-50. Mobs 50+ it would be a bit more dependant on magic resist. Stuff like fire giants and ice giants which are somewhat MR would break randomly around 30-60s or last full duration from my experience. Stuff in like the crypt or basement of sebilis would randomly break root as I would expect.

Charm again 1-50 would generally last full duration, though some of the high green (old light blue) and mid-high 40s (blues) would break randomly throughout their duration. I haven't charmed many 50+ animals since there aren't many in Kunark, but I feel like charms are pretty accurate, from a level 60 standpoint.

Post patch, the thing that bothers me the most is seeing level 1-40 mobs resist my roots outright. I don't recall that nor have I seen evidence that supports the global X% resist chance regardless of level. The funny thing is that I don't think I've seen many level 40-50 mobs resist my roots. But 1-40s I have seen a few times. Perhaps its just those ones that I am noticing and thinking "damn thats dumb".

Haven't seen too many early breaks on my druid roots recently, atleast that isn't something that's bothered me as much as initial resists on roots and such.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So overall, I don't like the way min resist chance has been working out. However, it is what is causing root to break early and charm to break early.

So with respect to charm and root, in the current iteration of the code, are they breaking too often? Or not often enough?

So I am trying to adjust charm breaks and root breaks now.

H
They should have a decent chance to break early though depending on level difference ;/

Debuffing something should only give an additional chance to not resist if the Target's resistance falls below 0.

Enchanters complaining about dying while charm soloing -- Seems classic to me.

Would only lower the Min Resist chance, it's at 5% now?
Closed Thread