Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 04-06-2022, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damn, yea, that is a lot of pvp. Props on rank 14. It is one of the most difficult grinds ever created in MMO history, and definitely caused a lot of burnout

I hit rank 14 back when I played vanilla. I continued to keep playing after long enough to crank out some pvp vids, I’ll link the last vid I made, it has some blackrock action. I never wanted to do that grind again, so when I played classic I only did pvp casually, mostly solo BG’s

World pvp is fun but it’s hard to get fair fights. Never been into lopsided encounters either where we are steamrolling or getting steamrolled due to huge number differences. Was more into competitive BG’s and then later arenas in TBC

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Did you really make a montage of playing a hunter in PvP during the time set where hunters were the single strongest class in all aspects of PvP? Where scat/trap had quite literally no counterplay on a 15 second CD that started immediately with a 10s duration and no DR - leaving 5 seconds of window to attack per scat/trap + aimed+mana drain or aimed+conc directly into another scat-trap for unreturnable damage? Even playing a Troll so you had free hit% and berserking for burst windows in PvP? You literally min/maxed the most braindead class in the entire game.. then made montages out of it. The only way I would respect this even less is if you had continued making the same videos into TBC where Hunters got even easier to play.

Oh honey. No. Just no. When you bowl with the bumpers on you don't get a trophy for bowling a 300.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teako [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you really make a montage of playing a hunter in PvP during the time set where hunters were the single strongest class in all aspects of PvP? Where scat/trap had quite literally no counterplay on a 15 second CD that started immediately with a 10s duration and no DR - leaving 5 seconds of window to attack per scat/trap + aimed+mana drain or aimed+conc directly into another scat-trap for unreturnable damage? Even playing a Troll so you had free hit% and berserking for burst windows in PvP? You literally min/maxed the most braindead class in the entire game.. then made montages out of it. The only way I would respect this even less is if you had continued making the same videos into TBC where Hunters got even easier to play.

Oh honey. No. Just no. When you bowl with the bumpers on you don't get a trophy for bowling a 300.
Orc is better min/max race for the stun resistance. Scatter trap had DR with each other in 1.12 when I filmed that

What else? Oh yeah I was top 10 ranked in 3v3 and rank 1 in 5v5 TBC where our team had around a 90% winrate. For a short while we had the highest 5v5 rank out of US, EU, and Asia servers

Cry on
Old 04-06-2022, 09:57 PM
Banned

Also, you can’t viper sting mana drain a freezing trapped target. It’s considered a DoT tick and breaks freezing trap

Shadow priests are vicious in 1v1 scenarios because of this, so the best play is indeed to viper them oom but to do it while kiting outside of your max range with cheetah (they have the same 41yard range with their spells as I do)

But yeah a well played hunter was a powerhouse in vanilla and TBC. But then again so was mage and lock was arguably stronger. I could never 1v1 beat my HWL warlock friend who eventually became my 3v3 arena partner when he was SL/SL spec, too tanky
Old 04-06-2022, 09:58 PM
Fire Giant

I played hunter on release and snarler had 100 to all resists. I went engineering and gnomish invis device made the pet invulnerable to attacks. The best pvp build was a mix of stuns, avoidance, melee, with snares that root and scattershot. True rogue destroyer.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:01 PM
Banned

In regards to east to play, in TBC arenas I was utilizing 55 different hotkeys and micromanaging a pet. If a class is so easy why didn’t you pick it up for easy free glad titles? Did you get any? I got gladiator x2, arena master (2200+ rating in 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5)

Hunters were not easy to excel on, but did do well if the person knew what they were doing, and you didn’t do well not because of the class you picked but because you were bad. So to feel better about being bad you blamed your class
Old 04-06-2022, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played hunter on release and snarler had 100 to all resists. I went engineering and gnomish invis device made the pet invulnerable to attacks. The best pvp build was a mix of stuns, avoidance, melee, with snares that root and scattershot. True rogue destroyer.
No stuns, BM spec was best for leveling only, it had intimidation stun

You prolly mean scattershot, which isn’t a stun but a disorient that is broken by damage. The best pvp spec was something like 3-5 pts in BM foe humanoid slaying, 31 in MM for true shot aura/scattershot, and Survival tree down to 5/5 entrapment and deterrence

The best pet for pvp was any cat with a 1.2 attack speed like mine, The Rake, or ideally Brokentooth which had a 1.0 attack speed, which I didn’t want to bother camping so never got it. I preferred the look of The Rake cat more, and the tiny difference in attack speed was negligible

The reason u wanted the fastest attack speed pet was for spell pushback, the rapid fire hits made it hard for casters to get spells off with pet hitting, the pet’s damage was largely irrelevant

In TBC this changed, the best pet became scorpid due to it having a poison DoT. The poison damage was irrelevant but because it and our mana drain, viper sting, were both poisons it meant that shamans, Druid’s, and paladins poison dispel had a chance of hitting the scorpid poison instead of viper string. This meant they would have to waste a global cooldown on another cast of their dispel and a potential additional viper sting tick to eat more of their mana. But I wouldn’t rely on draining out mana to win, that was noob shit. I would coordinate CC’s with partner and gib someone out. But regardless scorpid was the arena pet due to the poison, which was known as “masking” viper

I also got around 2100 with a warlock wearing blue quest gear in 3v3 for fun because I was used to playing pet classes at that point, so it translated well
Old 04-06-2022, 10:24 PM
Fire Giant

100 to all resists was the best pet for pvp. The rake was a pve pet and would get polymorphed by mages. Snarler was never polyd.

The stun I meant was:
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=105...-rocket-helmet
Also amazing snare:
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=441...mbobulator-ray
Clicking this meant a pet was invulnerable to melee dmg:
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=439...loaking-device

I absolutely dominated any duel outside iron forge.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:25 PM
Fire Giant

BG's forever changed wow pvp servers. The best pvp in wow was just before BG's open world farming ranks.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
100 to all resists was the best pet for pvp. The rake was a pve pet and would get polymorphed by mages. Snarler was never polyd.

The stun I meant was:
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=105...-rocket-helmet
Also amazing snare:
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=441...mbobulator-ray
Clicking this meant a pet was invulnerable to melee dmg:
https://classic.wowhead.com/item=439...loaking-device

I absolutely dominated any duel outside iron forge.
Ah so this is an era difference. When the game first came out pets had unique resistances, this was quickly changed and they all had the same resistances that were instead changed to something you had to use your pet talent points on. You could choose between resistances, hp, armor, etc to allocate your points to

HP was king when it came to pet points after the change. It was not possible even when putting all your points into a resistance type to become immune to that type. So the best use of your pet points after the change was to put the bulk in HP, then the rest in either frost or shadow resist. This was because they were the type of magic that mages (frost nova) and warlocks (fear) used for their attempts to peel or damage your pet. But like I said, it wasn’t possible for a pet to come even close to immune to these types anymore, they could only become slightly more resistant. If you didn’t put lots in HP, the pet would be dying to AoE’s like crazy

And yea, engineering was a near-requirement for pvp, I agree. No other trade skill came close. I had 300 engi, and would be spending 100’s of gold on grenades when ranking up doing BG’s
Old 04-06-2022, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
BG's forever changed wow pvp servers. The best pvp in wow was just before BG's open world farming ranks.
The epic back and forth southshore/tarren mill battles lol

My first char was actually a gnome rogue, named Battery (my friend who quit was named assault so we were going to be assault and battery, after he quit my name made no sense lol)

I got him to around rank 11 doing world pvp at 60 dagger spec with the hardest hitting pre-raid dagger, the Barman shanker from BRD

I became quite notorious on my first server Kel’Thuzad, not nearly as much as I did later on Nathrezim, but people were mentioning on the server forum look out for Battery lurking around tarren mill

I even thought up a rogue opener which hadn’t been discovered yet for rogues, mentioned it on the class forums, and it made it to the World of Ming blog, a hugely popular WoW site. I was mentioned there again years later when we came up with our unique (at the time) 5v5 arena team combination, Ming mentioned us again on his site

When I quit my rogue and switched to horde hunter, BG’s were already out and of course world pvp sort of dried up when that happened. So I really only got to experience the epic world pvp on rogue, but then did a few years ago in classic on my hunter, which was fun nostalgia