Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Decide if you want to be a programmer or non-programmer. From there decide if you want to persue the degree or non-degree.

I can tell you from experience what the difference a non-degreed non-programmer IT professional can expect versus a degreed non-programmer IT professional.

Non-Degree

Even at your BEST skill level without a degree you can expect to top out as a Senior/Lead<Insert Special Title>. This is because management wants to be able to showcase their IT staff and having a non-degreed employee representing the management of the IT group can be a detriment to business.

However with that being said with the right certs you can make well over $100k+. Sometimes, depending on tasks you are performing, you may even end up on $75/hour contract work. This is true for RCDD, CCNA and MCITP. Bottom line for non-degreed is that you will have to work HARDER for your money because the industry work force evolves and grows with younger and better educated people each year.

Degreed - BS/BA

With a degree you can expect to end up at some point with a managment job. This assumes two important points. First weather or not you are competent in your field and second weather or not you can manage people. However even with a degree you will be looking at 5-8 years of experience before even being considered for a management job. In basic terms you will be doing all the work of a non-degreed IT professional but with the opprotunity to advance into managment. Having certifications is a defining extra when employers are considering qualified canidates but there is no absolute need.

Graduate Degree

If you ever want to be a VP of IT or a IT Executive (CTO etc..) you will need to get the graduate degree. Although do not persue this degree unless you are capable and desire this kind of role.

For the OP i would say start at the bottom. Do quality work for your employer. Build up a quality list of references and when the chances present itself have letters of recommendation written on your behalf. Couple that with certifications, continuing education and within 5 years you can expect to make nice living.

Remember that once you are in IT the industry is volitale and constantly changing. Having a strong network of IT professionals to bounce ideas/questions off of is extremely important. Almost as important as certifications/education. You must continue your education and learn the latest changes (ie VMware 3.5>4.0>5.0, SCCM vs Altiris, Exchange, Directory Services, etc...) You must also always be prepared to take the next step "up". IT staff are usually the first to be cut/laid off when budgets get tight so save $$$ and be prepared for that as well.

Certs: Useful on paper means that you really learn alot of what you get the cert for while doing work in the field. Useful in career means that the certification presents you with information that you may not encounter in a routine work environment. It also means that it will directly impact your salary offers/requirements.

A+ (useful on paper)
Network + (useful in career)
Security + (useful in career)
MCITP:Server Admin (extremely useful in career)
VCP (useful on paper)
RCDD (extremely useful in career)
CCNA (extremely useful in career)

Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

School is mostly a complete waste of time. Businesses are more impressed if you have a job that uses a mouse. Having friends that work in the industry is a big bonus. Technically, learning all of this would be quicker if businesses could hand off their odd jobs to students. The catch for them is that they wouldn't have to pay the students and the students would get experience. This is what school should be.

9/10 a business will hire the guy that has real world experience, even small amounts. I was talking with my bro who works in the field and he routinely says that the college kids underperform. They go out of their way to find someone who has experience in the field. Personally, I think THE PERSON also is important. Too many college kids think that college is all they need. It reflects badly on them. People who have real world experience show you that they mean business and aren't just coasting on their parent's college money.

Be willing to work for long periods for years with little to no pay at all. Be prepared when nobody notices. Don't be personal. Don't moan. Just keep working hard. Eventually, you'll get credit. That's what it takes.

School is about everyone winning. But that's not how the real world works. I think this is the biggest reason that school fails. We need a stronger partnership between business and education.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 10-30-2011 at 11:30 AM..
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Large Bat

For me, back in '95 I looked into what the local university was teaching. They were teaching archaic technology, and I had no interest in learning that, being a punkass kid. I took a job repairing computers at a local shop, thinking I knew LOTS about computers.

I knew nothing.

Now, 15+ years later, I work with Cisco, VMware & enterprise storage solutions. If I'd like to go for my degree, the company would pay for it for me, 100%.

I honestly believe that at that point, I still made the right decision. Today, I know I have basically hit the limit of where I can go, without that degree.

For someone entering the field today? Get a degree & get a desktop support role at a large company. Do a good job and the people you're working with will see that.

The one big comment that others haven't mentioned- Don't be afraid to switch jobs. That's really the only way to get salary jumps, for the most part. A couple jobs I switched I about doubled my salary.

Dave aka Ghan
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaniba [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The one big comment that others haven't mentioned- Don't be afraid to switch jobs. That's really the only way to get salary jumps, for the most part. A couple jobs I switched I about doubled my salary.

Dave aka Ghan
Someone once told me something and I take it to heart with every job.

Each job is a stepping stone to the next. You are a mercenary who works for whoever pays the most.

Don't burn bridges, but don't get yourself in a rut and think there is no where to go.

It is also 1000% easier to get a job while you have a job. Don't get fired and then go looking for a job. People for some reason like hiring you out of a different position than picking up someone who is unemployed.