Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Planar Protector

Default Mob Run Speed

I started playing in late January and mob run speed was out of whack. I had heard a lot of rumors as to why mobs were running faster than they should, prevent exploits and kiting of certain mobs etc.

My concern is Why do mobs run so ridiculously fast. I never had to strafe run on live, btw strafe running does not work Strafe running does not work Strafe running does not work.

I really only notice this on a new char when i don't have a form of sow etc, but every mob runs WAY faster than it should WAY faster its not even funny there is NO WAY this is classic mob run speed.

Anyway theres no way i can prove anything that says run speed wasnt this fast, I am just irked beyond the point of understanding. It blows my mind it actually blows my mind that with sow i can JUST stay ahead of the mob not even gain any ground if its unsnared. How are mobs running at near sow speed and this is called classic?

/rant off

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Kobold

im using lvl 9 sham sow in blackburrow and I out run them just fine.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started playing in late January and mob run speed was out of whack. I had heard a lot of rumors as to why mobs were running faster than they should, prevent exploits and kiting of certain mobs etc.

My concern is Why do mobs run so ridiculously fast. I never had to strafe run on live, btw strafe running does not work Strafe running does not work Strafe running does not work.

I really only notice this on a new char when i don't have a form of sow etc, but every mob runs WAY faster than it should WAY faster its not even funny there is NO WAY this is classic mob run speed.

Anyway theres no way i can prove anything that says run speed wasnt this fast, I am just irked beyond the point of understanding. It blows my mind it actually blows my mind that with sow i can JUST stay ahead of the mob not even gain any ground if its unsnared. How are mobs running at near sow speed and this is called classic?

/rant off
You probably have a dual core issue that's causing you to be slower than you should be. Strafe running does work - I'm not the only one who's reported that it does. I can outrun everything that has a normal runspeed without sow if I'm strafe running.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can outrun everything that has a normal runspeed without sow if I'm strafe running.
Thats great, but this is less of the issue I was posting. Sure some people can escape the run speed, but that doesn't change the fact they are running way faster than they should.

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Fire Giant

Has to do with hit boxes or something. Once/if that is fixed, then I'm sure they would change the speed back to normal.

Mugatoo <Center For Ants>
45 Iksar Monk

"You can all go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by girth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Has to do with hit boxes or something. Once/if that is fixed, then I'm sure they would change the speed back to normal.
Thank you girth, I knew it wasn't right but didn't know the reason. at least now its a bit less frustrating

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 11-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats great, but this is less of the issue I was posting. Sure some people can escape the run speed, but that doesn't change the fact they are running way faster than they should.
Uh, well if strafe running doesn't work for you there might be a problem on your end. Or were you exaggerating and just saying it doesn't work as well as it should? I can strafe run pretty effectively but if I make even one mistake I will get hit, which is probably not classic, so maybe that's what you were saying?

The problem is that mobs can be outrun with things like jumping/strafe running etc., but in classic these methods actually gave you a reasonable distance over mobs rather than just barely putting you out of harm's way until you hit a zone line. So the solution should be for mobs to maybe have a large hitbox (like they do now) but have them run at the exact same speed as PC's? At least some mobs that is - I've heard that in classic some mobs were also able to be outrun normally. In any case, someone should round up all of the relevant data about this (how it is now, how it was/should be, etc.) and post an organized bug report about it.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Planar Protector

What your saying lazor sounds classic to me. I remember running from mobs jumping merely once or twice and being far enough ahead where i could just hit autorun and continue on my way without getting hit.

As it stands now with strafe running/jumping/whatever I can JUST stay out of the hit range, not even half the time. Yes I definitely have some issues connecting with the P99 server, but if mobs ran the correct speed with strafe run id have no issues i could stay out of range. As it stands now running is almost guaranteed death as it gives the mob full access to my back.

It wouldn't be so bad, the technical issues I have, if the mobs ran the correct speed, But since they run at near sow speeds its just "what the fuck" everytime.

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Kobold

Didn't read through the entire thread...

I know on my laptop if I havent set my processors affinity to 1 single core, it affects my run speed... might want to try that and see if it helps!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Orc

Quote:
What your saying lazor sounds classic to me. I remember running from mobs jumping merely once or twice and being far enough ahead where i could just hit autorun and continue on my way without getting hit.

The way I remember run speed in Classic EQ is the same way I remember it being in all expansions untill AA runspeed. If I were running without SoW & had a mob on me, it would catch up & hit me. I could jump once or twice for a small lead but it would eventually catch back up because it was running faster, not at equal speed. If I had a SoW on, the mob would never catch up unless I stopped or really lagged.

Run speed here on p1999 does seem a little faster, but not by much.. Except for giants.. I can't seem to get any lead on them at all. =)