Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Fire Giant

I heard the coding is a pain in the ass. Was looking for this a long time ago, mainly a pvp server to relive the wars at qeynos gates in antonica
Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkusenman_110Million [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure where else to ask on the Internet, and I expect to get some..troll replies, but.. Does anyone know of any classic Everquest II servers? I love playing classic EQ I and was wondering if anyone knew of any EQ 2 classic servers that I could play on. Thanks in advance![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why? It was fucking terrible.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodeanicus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why? It was fucking terrible.
Here's the troll response I was expecting. Heh.

Edit: Probably because it's gotta be better than what it is now. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkusenman_110Million [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's the troll response I was expecting. Heh.

Edit: Probably because it's gotta be better than what it is now. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That ain't sayin' much. Honestly, I'm not trolling. The original EQ2 experience was horrible. Linked mobs, mobs warping into walls making dungeons useless, linear quest paths. Hell, it's GOT to be better now than it was then.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodeanicus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That ain't sayin' much. Honestly, I'm not trolling. The original EQ2 experience was horrible. Linked mobs, mobs warping into walls making dungeons useless, linear quest paths. Hell, it's GOT to be better now than it was then.
Could the people who would run the EQ 2 Emulator not fix that?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I played EQ2 beta, and started day one, played for a few months....The game was so obviously rushed out the door to compete with wow it was ridiculous.

The whole experience, to me, was summed up by the Nvidia deal....They had marketing all over the box the game came in for Nvidia, a flyer in the box, as well as a freaking splash screen when you logged in "It plays better on Nvidia" or whatever that tag line was at the time. YET, the current top end Nvidia cards were causing pretty much everyone video hitching and all manner of crap. People would inquire about this on the forums and devs would reply "Oh don't pay attention to that, it's just marketing." Are you fucking kidding me? I swear the software industry is the only entity in the history of the planet, besides governments, that gets away with this bait and switch horseshit.

They went on and on about how the game was designed for "next year's computers" but what they didn't say was the core of the game engine was based on next year's computers that would never come....Apparently they built it on the assumption that processors were going to continue to get bigger and faster rather than going to multi-cores and at some point they reached a point of no return. So they just lied about it and sugar coated it. Nobody could turn the settings up on machines at the time...you had to reduce the character model clip plane down so low just to run around smoothly so every character model in the game looked like they were in skintight pajamas. Bugs everywhere. It looked like it had potential to be a beautifully done game, yet looked and performed like complete shit. People with dual core machines (I was not one of them) that just smoked every other game were having even more problems than most. The whole thing was a complete cluster fuck, compounded with the fact that the content was completely on rails. You did the Qeynos thing or you did the Freeport thing. That's it. And you did "collect x of this" quests over and over and over again.

That said, I went back to hang with some friends a few years later....Computers had gotten better and workarounds had been worked out that allowed you to run it well on a single core. The graphics were stunning. Performance became pretty good.

As far as gameplay, I kind of view EQ2 as Fischer-Price EverQuest, if you can even call it EverQuest. But there's a lot in there. TONS of quests. The game tracks these things and you can do a lot to develop a character. The AA system is pretty cool, as I recall. At release, it was very on-rails....Once they had a few expansions you started having choices of places to go and things to do at a given level. The game started getting a bit of depth. There have been something like half a dozen expansions since I last played, so I imagine even moreso now. The crafting system is pretty cool and if you dig customized player housing that's pretty amazing, really. They had a "bazaar' type trader system kind of like what came with luclin in EQ1, except you went into trader mode in your own house....So people literally built shops for their traders that you physically would go to to buy stuff if you didnt want to pay brokers frees. I thought that was pretty cool actually.

Short version of the above....yes, I would be interested in a classic EQ2 emu, pretty much just to get to play the game without all the problems and to get to actually see the graphics as they were supposed to be, but weren't. And sans all the rest of the gazillion bugs and issues that we had at launch. They had to revamp combat mechanics a few times I think, even. Would be cool to actually play it with all of that worked out.

As a side note...Jesus, I can't believe it's been almost a decade since then. I'm getting old!
Last edited by Weekapaug; 08-11-2013 at 05:37 AM..
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Large Bat

EQ2 got pretty solid, Echoes of Fay, Sky expansion, Kunark one, TSO was top notch to but after that it kinda fell off.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Orc

I didn't start playing EQ 2 until about Destiny of Velious came out, so I'd like to see how the older game was. Not through Youtube, but through playing it myself on an Emulator. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Fire Giant

Everquest 2 is one of the few games that probably actually got better as the expansions came along. The only issue really is that eventually there was such a glut of items at the high end, that you don't really know what the name of the items are that you're wearing. Other than that they really improved on a flawed model and made it a respectable game.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Planar Protector

EQ2 was glitchy and unfinished at release, but they got better after a year of running.
It went pretty decent up until the point of Faydwer expansion when they dumbed down crafting, and introduced insane time sinks into high end raid zones (hello Emerald Halls = new VT). From there on it went downhill.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Last edited by Kika Maslyaka; 08-11-2013 at 11:23 PM..
Closed Thread