Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Last edited by dredge; 12-12-2012 at 08:48 PM..
Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Orc

GoD

Finding shit more powerful than the GODS themselves living on Norrath the whole time was kinda stupid to me.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryndar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GoD

Finding shit more powerful than the GODS themselves living on Norrath the whole time was kinda stupid to me.
umm its not stupid if you keep in mind that they came from a different realm, where "animals are more powerful than your gods" to quote Mata Muram.
Plus, Inny/CT were already complete wussies by the time Velious raiding was out. So yeah, shit stronger that gods was pretty common since classic time.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Aviak

Luclin was when things started to go wrong. I guess the teleporting in those 4 areas was okay, because you still had to a wait a while and it was only those 4 places. But including the bazaar was a bad idea, and the worst part was that there was no pvp in the Nexus or the bazaar. The new graphics were bad for some races (short races), and not too terrible for others, but their introduction meant that no one would ever get cool and unique armors like in Velious ever again. I really liked the vah shir, and the beastlord class; don't really get the whole "Omg cats on the moon is so dumb!" argument.

Luclin did have some very great raids, and I have mixed feelings about AAs. To me, as a very casual player, it kind of felt like a slap in the face. I was like level 50 when Velious released, and level 58 when Luclin released, it was like being max level had become literally unattainable. They introduced some great and arguably needed skills, for casters and hybrids, but I don't understand why they couldn't have just given the classes those skills. I suppose they wanted to keep people playing, and it gave the more hardcore a reason to continue playing their mains, which was good (but not for the low level population).

PoP is where everything but the raiding scene died. Instant ports in every city, to a zone where pvp was disallowed. Just terrible.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin was when things started to go wrong. I guess the teleporting in those 4 areas was okay, because you still had to a wait a while and it was only those 4 places. But including the bazaar was a bad idea, and the worst part was that there was no pvp in the Nexus or the bazaar. The new graphics were bad for some races (short races), and not too terrible for others, but their introduction meant that no one would ever get cool and unique armors like in Velious ever again. I really liked the vah shir, and the beastlord class; don't really get the whole "Omg cats on the moon is so dumb!" argument.

PoP is where everything but the raiding scene died. Instant ports in every city, to a zone where pvp was disallowed. Just terrible.
They were suppose to re-do the Velios textures using Luclin engine, and the point of a new engine was : ability to add new texture faster, easier and in great quantity, per official SOE statement.. Which they never did of course=)

PoP was the gold era of EQ raiding - it improved raiding 10000% No more tank and spank fights, and plenty of targets to choose from even for non uber guilds.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Instant ports in every city, to a zone where pvp was disallowed. Just terrible.
Damn if PoK and PoTranquility were PVP enabled that'd have been intense.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

There is a giant nebulous monster in the room whenever MMORPGs are discussed, and it is an absolutely vital mechanic that can change the entire course of a game, yet it is nearly never referenced. This problem has been alleviated and partially solved by some more modern games, but I'm not sure that EverQuest could do it except by having a radically lower population.

The problem is this: the entire multiple server paradigm.

What people love about EverQuest anymore isn't JUST that there's only one Vox on your server. Right now, SHE IS THE ONLY VOX IN EXISTENCE for a cool, Classic EQ experience.

When resources are limited, they are more valuable. When they are absolutely UNIQUE, their value is almost impossible to overestimate. The awesome thing about EVE Online was this:

EVE Player 1: Oh man I was in this amazing battle last week in Curse region where like 8 carriers jumped in and saved a Titan.
EVE Player 2: DUDE I WAS THERE!!

WoW Player 1: Oh man I was in this awesome dungeon last night...
WoW Player 2: Cool! What server are you on?
WoW Player 1: Broken Skull, it was wild!
WoW Player 2: Oh ok, I'm on one of the other 100 servers. Never mind.

EQ Live went wrong even before they launched the game, in the multiple server model. There's really no coming back from that... it needs to be a fundamental part of game design from inception.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

ehem, I really want to know how you plan to fit 100k players with pre 1999 tech into a single server?
Zones were laggy and crashing with 40-60 people in it allready, and servers were only at 3.5k max
Old 10-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ehem, I really want to know how you plan to fit 100k players with pre 1999 tech into a single server?
Zones were laggy and crashing with 40-60 people in it allready, and servers were only at 3.5k max
Wire graphics, I don't care. Give me the world to play with.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charms [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah you're right, there wasn't a giant fucking arena in the Bazaar.. Oh and the giant fucking arena in the Bazaar wasn't one zone over from the Nexus either.

Don't blame the developers for being terrible because you were terrible at EQ1 back in the day. Just because you weren't 60 when Velious came out or when Luclin came out doesn't mean it was anyone else's fault but your own. Some people had the required amount of gameplay, some people didn't maximize and group up with quality groups, either way the game was never designed for everyone to be at max level before the next expansion came out, until Velious hit. Even then, future expansions weren't always dependent on you being at max level. PoP had zones a sub-60 could exp in that were some of the best exp spots around.
There's no reason to be rude, honestly. The arena in the bazaar was a nice touch, but it didn't make up for the bluebie hand-holding that took place there and in the Nexus. I don't understand how a red player could ever substitute real pvp with an arena lol.

And I said I had mixed feelings about the AA system, not that it was all bad. Being a casual player does not translate to being terrible at EQ, lol. It was nice getting into the upper 50s, and thinking "Almost there!" I was excited about not needing to level anymore, and it discouraged high levels from making alts. For most higher level people, I'm sure AAs were a good thing.
Closed Thread