Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Large Rat

Default Do you miss out on content as a PVE Necro ?

As a new player I am thinking of a Necro (Or druid! ...) As my game play is limited and I will solo a lot.. atleast at first.. I love the necro idea, but concerned that as a Iksar Necro I will not get to see many cities, zones etc as he will he hated everywhere? then the issue of buying stuff etc, or is this not really a problem?

any newbie advice welcome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] what trade skills did you take as well ... ?

thank you
Old 02-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Sarnak

You can use Call of Bones (34) to use the majority of Neriak.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Sarnak

well obviously walking around good aligned cities is going to be hard without faction work. You can use your skele illusions to walk around in neriak(i bank there fine), other then that yeah it will be hard.

Selling stuff is not a big deal; gypsy camps sell to anyone, as do the druid vendors at druid rings(just make sure there are no other npc druids who are kos around them heh). I'd go to the wiki to find a list of npcs who will sell to you.

It sounds like to me though that you are interested in exploring the game world as you are a new player, which is cool. Druid would be the better option for that; welcome in every good city, you have ports to get around easy, and druids are pretty good soloers as well. You'll have a little easier time getting groups as a healer as well if you wanted to(well at least until the higher levels). If you cant play much on a given day, you can port people around for cash to help your bankroll a bit.

In the end however it ends up not being a huge deal and you should play the class you really want to play; faction is a lot less of a deal in velious anyways.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Gypsys - Oasis, North Karana,
Druid Rings - Lavastorm, West Commons (KoS druids nearby), Steamfont, Butcherblock, North Karana (KoS druids nearby), Toxxulia
Old 02-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Fire Giant

It is a difficulty, but not a problem. You can maneuver around things. With Circlet of Shadow, you can go anywhere, even if you can't do it without invis. All in all, I have been to every zone, and seen everything. I have only ever done light faction work (SoulFire).
Old 02-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Aviak

Uteunayr, love your guide for starter necros. Really helped me with my 12 eru necro.

To OP, I can tell you that one of the main reasons I did not make an iksar necro is to combat this exact problem of being KOS everywhere. Being able to walk through freeport reasonably safely is very handy. I hate having to run back to Cabilis every time I need spells (or to invis through a hostile town to get to a nec trainer). That said, as Uteunayr said, there are workarounds, and as a feign death +invis class you have a reasonable level of safety no matter where you'd like to go.

One piece of advice, buffs are life for a necro. get Clarity? go on a 15 minute killing spree. Get thorns on your pet? kill everything that moves! Sow makes fear kiting a breeze (and breeze is a nice one, too!). It's one of the best advantages to early levelling in eastern commonlands, there's a ton of buffers at hand. As you level you'll want to make friends with druids that are on a lot, keep those buffs coming in!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can use Call of Bones (34) to use the majority of Neriak.
Didnt know that cool.

You will have instant cast invis so mobility as an evil isn't hard. But yeah druid will be more of a sight seeing class And much more self sufficient imo ports buffs etc
Old 02-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Sarnak

The faction won't be a problem. Put it this way: it will make your trips to town longer when you need to bank or get new spells which doesn't happen often. But merchants? Bah, there are merchants all over the place who will sell to you and if you need to buy food and drink but are far away from merchants selling you, just ask someone around to do the shopping for you and give them a small commission. The only time it will be an issue is if you want to do certain quests but again, I can only think about a few who provide interesting rewards... which can be replaced by something else...
My take: roll an iksar necro if that's what you want to play and enjoy being a god walking among mortals.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ab9521a00...4dqyo1_250.gif
Old 02-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Sarnak

I created an iksar necro back in November. Currently level 50 and haven't really had issues going anywhere or selling anywhere. Spent the vast majority of my levels after 18 not in Kunark - just do the faction red wine quest in neriak and you'll have a bank very close to EC.

Once you hit 34 with Call of Bones like others mentioned - many places will let you sell (Oggok NPCs, Neriak if you haven't done faction - but you should super easy, and others just con them from safe distance).

Also not that you mentioned it, but don't worry about not finding groups as a necro, at least for leveling. Most groups as long as they have a tank/healer will gladly take a necro, especially if they can charm in said zone. If not you'll provide pet DPS, spot heals, and solid CC (root/Screaming terror). I'd rather have a necro in a group in most all occasions then a druid, and necro has more versatility and variety in soloing then druid.

Not knocking on druids though, I do have 1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Just find necro more fun.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Sarnak

Check out my iksar travel guide! Tons of places you can buy/sell/bank!

Necros are one of the best classes in EQ - don't miss out on the experience just because of the faction. See it as a challenge and it becomes fun!

Leading the charge to bring back the classic feature /guildwar
Closed Thread