Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

Default Question about RED and PvP rules

How does PvP kills and looting work on RED. I started MMO PvP with UO when it launched. UO is a traditional PvP game from the ground up, any death in UO meant someone could loot every single item/money on your corpse. I have no experience with EQ PvP, but I can't believe this is true with EQ.

So what can you loot from your kills? Is EQ more casual PvP where only inventory and PP is lootable? Less/More? With so many quiality items tradeable in EQ, those items must not have much value due to no one willing to wear them unless rolling with a massive force. In UO the use the top gear was very rare, you used the cheap shit in the bank that you had TONS of cause a simple LD could cause you to lose the quality loot. This also kept the value of that gear in check, cause it was such a gamble to ever use it.

I have dabbled with the idea of rolling a RED toon in the last few days since recently discovering playing a toon on BLUE and RED at the same time does not qualify as multi-boxing. Since nothing about playing a single character at a time in EQ is classic for me, this has me curious. Oh the money I spent adding phone lines to my house back in 1999. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Though rest easy, I am a man of law and order. This could really help me with my ADD. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thanks for the time in advance guys, more info the better!
Old 12-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Fire Giant

Unfortunately only coin is lootable here, no items.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Fire Giant

EQ pvp has always been more about zone control than trying to steal loot. Even on Rallos with item loot most competent people bagged their decent gear or wore no drop stuff. Never understood why people liked item loot in eq pvp other than just for Rallos nostalgia. There's a reason when people from VZ and TZ had a choice they were all going to move to the non item loot server so they just made both servers non item loot. Items in eq were meant to be hard to acquire, not just vendor, random drop stuff. All I remember from my time trying Rallos before I moved to VZ was naked people running around. Most pvp fights were just a wizard ganker nuking a guy standing still trying desperately to bag all his gear before the kill shot.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ pvp has always been more about zone control than trying to steal loot. Even on Rallos with item loot most competent people bagged their decent gear or wore no drop stuff. Never understood why people liked item loot in eq pvp other than just for Rallos nostalgia. There's a reason when people from VZ and TZ had a choice they were all going to move to the non item loot server so they just made both servers non item loot. Items in eq were meant to be hard to acquire, not just vendor, random drop stuff. All I remember from my time trying Rallos before I moved to VZ was naked people running around. Most pvp fights were just a wizard ganker nuking a guy standing still trying desperately to bag all his gear before the kill shot.
This is exactly why I asked the question. I didn't know how anyone would have fun if the PvP in EQ was hard core rules. Yeah everyone would be naked and wizards would rule the lands.

Oh another question I had that I forgot to ask in the OP. I assume all /who commands are disabled on RED correct? I was thinking how odd PvP would be if you would tell who was in what zones... LOL. One scenario I did come up with that makes PvP great is raiding. Guild 1 is in zone setting up to kill a dwagon, Guild 2 comes into zone to find Guild 1 just about to engage. Guild 1 would have to have scouts at all zone enterences or Guild 2 could attack or train right before or durning mob is engaged. This could really lead to some epic guild battles. Anyone have some epic stories like this to share?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maahes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone have some epic stories like this to share?
Guild 1 gets all dragons, guild 2 trains guild 1, guild 2 gets banned, guild 1 raids uncontested, guild 2 picks on noobs, rmt, bans, account strip.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoNipple [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guild 1 gets all dragons, guild 2 trains guild 1, guild 2 gets banned, guild 1 raids uncontested, guild 2 picks on noobs, rmt, bans, account strip.
No I am talking on RED not BLUE.

It would be great on both side of the scenario. Keeping a small force outside the raid force just to deal with surprise attacks. And being the guild to come in destroy Guild 1 would be great too. People solving their own issues is what draws me to RED. Sure you could have had dragon loot, but you weren't powerful enough to get it clearly. No need for raid rotation, if you want dragon loot best have your shit together. We solved so many issue in UO like this, so makes sense to me RED has none of the issues BLUE does with raiding. I'm sitting with yet another toon in mid 40s on BLUE, but am a bit worried about raid sceen, which is all im really after this time around on P99.
Last edited by maahes; 12-23-2014 at 05:39 PM..
Old 12-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

all of the raids mmo gamers would file under "EPIC" happen in an environment where pvp is possible
Old 12-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maahes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh another question I had that I forgot to ask in the OP. I assume all /who commands are disabled on RED correct? I was thinking how odd PvP would be if you would tell who was in what zones... LOL.
/who all is available but almost everyone runs /role or /anon.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Sarnak

As for the scenarios you've mentioned, in practice they don't play out as you've imagined, for three reasons:
  1. the game's internal rules and mechanics (e.g., static mobs with static respawn times)
  2. external rules such as the "Play Nice" policy and the inconsistent manner in which it's enforced by the staff, fostering a culture of witch-hunting and rule-lawyering
  3. the playerbase itself, which is comprised of an even greater percentage of ill-adjusted manchildren than the typical online community
EQ has its merits, but if you want the possibility of enjoyable pvp within the context of an old MMO, you're honestly better off looking for a UO freeshard than playing here.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Banned

how about a little FIRE scare crow?
Closed Thread