Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Sarnak

I would suggest Enchanter.

Shaman will cost like 300k to gear fully now, i have heard of people paying nearly 100k for epic atm, then add torpor and other spells.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Kobold

If you've only played to level 5 then in all honesty I'd vote shaman a thousand times over. The people comparing level 60 benefits and the costs of torpor etc have likely put months of actual sitting at their screen playtime into EQ. I wouldn't worry about any of that yet. SoW is a godsend to new players, being able to turn and bail on a bad fight and actually make it to the zoneline will save you hours of lost experience. No tricks, just turn and run. Also, while leveling a shaman no one is going to get upset if you're late on a buff or slowing a mob. Enchanter brain farts can and will wipe your group and you will be blamed regardless of idiots breaking your mezzes.
I really feel like survivability and learning curve for someone who hasn't passed level 5 obviously drops this in the shaman column. The chanter votes here aren't wrong but info think they're setting you up for less fun.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:58 PM
Large Bat

Sorry guys. It's been a long day with work and parties.

I didn't mean to mislead anyone but I meant I hadn't done anything past lvl 5 on p99. I have played live during classic - current content up to lvl 90. However I never played a shaman or enchanter until way past planes of power.
My fear with the shaman is that the leveling from 1-60 and pre fungi/torpor/epic will take forever and not sure the rewards of 60 with fungi/torpor/epic is worth it. Didn't know how realistic the shaman with the goodies is because I'm not aware of the economy is on p99.
The fear of the enchanter is actually doing the content solo without having any sort of heal/Evac for when things get rough. Other than gate. Just thinking as one has posted(Cambiant) that the enchanter will have lots of deaths.
Last edited by justin84; 04-22-2017 at 07:04 PM..
Old 04-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Planar Protector

Just make your shaman iksar. It's OP.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Large Bat

I also talked to my cousin today who said he would be able to help me out with some stuff to help me get started. If that plays a roll in the difference in the two classes for the first 20 levels or so.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Large Bat

Anyone else with advice before I start tomorrow?

The internet guy is coming to hook up our new home so should be in by tomorrow night.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The internet guy is coming to hook up our new home so should be in by tomorrow night.
Both are high demand for groups, and top end soloers, With my personal preference being shaman.

Enc if you have limited time, but you'll need a guild to get their epic. (cannot MQ it, doesn't do -much- for a pure soloer, but is still helpful)

Sham if you don't mind spending 200+ hours farming money to complete the character/buy the epic MQ, or guild up for the epic.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ignore that.

EDIT:

Also, don't spend a ton of time on gear early on. As a caster gear really isn't that important: the leveling speed of (say) a level 20 shaman with 20k of gear is almost identical to that of a shaman with 1k of gear (source: my 60 shaman is still wearing multiple pieces of ringmail, and he had similarly crap armor in most slots leveling up). Gear mainly just gives you higher maximums, but maxes don't help leveling speed: HP/mana regeneration (eg. fungi tunic) does.

There are certain key class items (eg. JBB for a shaman, Goblin Ghazugi Ring for enchanter) that are the exception, but for everything else I recommend just wearing what you loot.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-24-2017 at 07:30 PM..
Old 04-24-2017, 07:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ignore that
So true.
Go ogre! Or troll I guess if you don't plan on soloing much.

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So true.
Go ogre! Or troll I guess if you don't plan on soloing much.
Or Barbarian for faction, fashion, and all around sexiness [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But yeah, power-game-wise Ogre (at level 60) or Troll (up until level 60) are the correct choices.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread