Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Aviak

Default Cleaning Up Our Collective Act

So, I've been planning to make this appeal to folks (read: "call some shit out", if that sounds better to you) at one time or another, and after a recent post I think now is as good a time as any. I've gotten several friends psyched about playing here come Friday, and I am usually having a fantastic time myself. I just have to sigh, clearly disappointed about the feces that often passes for acceptable P99 discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a member
There is too much sexist, bigoted and racist bullshit on this planet as it is.

Attempts at making it acceptable because it's the internet is just a copout by those who are afraid to do it face to face with whatever group they are attempting to insult.

I feel no pity for those that are banned for doing such.
^^^^ Yes, this. We need to remember that this server is a community ON that planet, however.

Why the rampant bigoted vileness, people? For that matter, why does the above post get a wag of the finger from a few and chuckles from others? And more importantly, isn't such ignorant brainspew, in any form, against community guidelines *specifically* laid out by Nilbog?

-----

"Personal attacks are contrary to this spirit and damaging to the work of running this server.There is no rule that is objective and not open to interpretation on what constitutes a personal attack as opposed to constructive discussion, but some types of comments are absolutely never acceptable:

-Racial, sexual, homophobic, ageist, religious, political, ethnic, or other epithets (such as against people with disabilities) directed against another contributor. Disagreement over what constitutes a religion, race, sexual preference, or ethnicity is not a legitimate excuse."

-----

I've only participated for what, a month? And I've encountered plenty of bigoted, base, and just all around unnecessarily hateful nasty shit in game and on the boards. I generally use the ignore list for its designated purpose while playing and didn't bother making records, but I've collected examples on the fly as I've been reading over posts. Names are left out because I don't want a witch hunt, I want a cogent discussion about what we expect from each other. Claiming your words is your own business, but I won't be arguing with anyone about them because of disclaimer #1. Speaking of...

Three disclaimers are likely necessary:

1) Remind yourself what the text in bold above regarding semantic disagreement states.
2) Saying "suck it up", "grow a pair", [insert machismo-laden retort here] is a cop out and deflects the issue entirely. I'm not talking about "bad words" and "potty language", it's fucking hate from the bowels of the internets and belongs in your kid brother's chatlogs.
3) No, these are not all just from Rants & Flames, and even though SOME of them are (the post I linked to at the top being the most obvious example), that in NO WAY should justify that kind of shit.

Quote:
Why facepalm you fucking faggot? I'd seriously pay money to play on the server, big deal. Fuck off.
Quote:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]i'm not arab dude
Quote:
well your no 14 year old faggot with no reason to live besides your huge e-penis ...
Quote:
Hi Toddler.
You're still a fag!
(With regard to above)
Quote:
Yeah, this was my thought.
Quote:
Too bad Corey was a huge fag and that Aeen never took the reigns of AV. All the fags from Tarew Marr were completely worthless.
Quote:
a douche calling others out on being douches.
stop being fags (like the biker's the the southpark episode).
Quote:
Good, less mexicans that way.
Quote:
Man... James Hetfield turned into such a pussy. Notice the words "sensitive" and the phrase "everyone goes home a winner"
what a fag.
Quote:
AKA the lowest of the low in the nerd world, a faggot.
Quote:
Oh shit.
Get Zhraath up in here please, then we can camp treants and not let faggot rogues in.
Quote:
Ok, its free to play and stuff, but its bad when you see that only 1 ugly faggot can ruin the weekend of 500 people.

Seriously folks? Makes zero sense that I would be ten years older since my first EQ romp, and yet have to time-travel back to the 7th grade to play on P99. So now that we've had a great time puffing our digital chests and finding out who (thinks they've) won, let's either agree to follow clearly posted rules or not. I'd like to think we can do this without some draconian SOE substitute watching our every post and /auc in real time.

Your turn.

P.S. Unbridled Gnome-hate, however, is a MUST at all times, or at least until they outgrow the ability to wear that 5 INT waist for small races. Fuck that.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Aviak

TLDR. If you could rub out an abridged version I might check back.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Kobold

Get over yourself

/thread
Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Fire Giant

Hearts in the right place.

Buuuuut this is the internet.

I called out a buddy one day saying he was being a huge douche online and he's better than that.

He's still a douche online.

AKA I gave up and so should you =P
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Fire Giant

Cliff notes:

Read the forum rules against personal attacks

I'll outline them here:

1. Quit being a bunch of douchebags.
2. Repeat.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cliff notes:

Read the forum rules against personal attacks

I'll outline them here:

1. Quit being a bunch of douchebags.
2. Repeat.
If only. Will never happen.

I wish!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Orc

Yeah OP I love how a cave troll is a normal everyday arab to Karsten. Also the fact that he constantly preys on minorities and people who are overweight.

<--- Gay and proud of it
Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also the fact that he constantly preys on minorities and people who are overweight.
NOT FAT,
JESUS.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Sarnak

I've got a better idea (this is not my idea, btw, I stole it from Southpark): let's re-define the word faggot from a derogatory slur against homosexuals to mean: an annoying, full-of-themselves, loser douchebag, who needs to just shut the fuck up.

That way, when you call someone a fag, you aren't trying to insinuate that they are gay (which is just a set of normal people just trying to live their lives like the rest of us- grow up and pull yourself into the 21st century, for fuck's sake), but rather are saying that they are annoying, nobody gives a shit what they say, and they should just shut up, or go play in traffic.

After all, the definition of the word has already changed several times over the centuries, why not change it yet again?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

<--- Gay and proud of it
Nobody cares dickbreath
Last edited by TheDudeAbides; 04-14-2010 at 12:20 AM..
Closed Thread