Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Fire Giant

even though a rogue shouldnt be taken dmg, at some point either due to pulling agro or from AE spells/efffects, you will be taking dmg, and more HP is always better than less.

Dead rogues do zero dps.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, @guineapig: For now I'm more concerned about getting to lvl 50 rather than my stats once I reach 50. I'm probably going to be more casual than hard core. Regardless, I don't understand the great benefit of extra STA for a rogue at 50. Rogues shouldn't be taking damage anyway, so what's the benefit of stamina? And is it really worth sacrificing the bonus strength for leveling 1 to 50? Thanks in advance.

Obviously you should do what you feel is best for your character. The reasons behind going with stamina over strength for many people vary but I'll sum them up as best as I can.

1.) most rogue items will be giving you strength

2.) clerics, chanters, shaman and druids all have strength buffs, and then you can add bard songs to that. So since, you are not a solo class you will end up in a group with at least one of the above classes AT ALL TIMES!

3.) Once you Hit 185 strength (which you will simply by getting average gear while leveling up) a single upper level shaman buff will max out your strength. Any additional buffs or items that grant you strength will become useless at this point.

4.) AT this point your options are dex, agi and stamina. Besides the fact that most upper level rogue gear also includes at least dex or agility, the fact is they offer diminishing returns. Too much dex can actually be a bad thing if you are procing constantly and stealing warrior aggro. And high agility parses tend to be proven inconclusive.

5.) Stamina on the other hand has a solid impact that you can see. If you get hit by 2 ice comets (1600 damage) and you have 1650 hitpoints, you live. If you had 1550 hitpoints, you die. The other stats can't say anything even close to that.

Anyway, these are just some of the reasons that are often mentioned. Play the way you want to though. After all, it's just a game and we are just offering suggestions.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Fire Giant

Also something that should be noted, that I didn't see yet, was that I'm pretty sure for rogues Dex is the defining stat for skillups. Not int, not wis, but dex.
Abomination Snowman - 60 Grave Lord
Proud owner of Innoruuk's Curse that did NOT come from TMO's bank or RMT.
Niluvien Forestwalker - 52 Ranger
Russled Jimmies - 54 Wizard
Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via MSN to Jify

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On a side note, strength is the easiest stat to max out in classic EQ, I would concentrate on stamina and just drop the left over points into STR. Once your STR gets to about 185 (which depending on your race shouldn't be too difficult) you will be able to hit 255 strength (max cap in classic) with a shaman buff.

This. Add points to Stamina, no matter what class/race you are, or you WILL regret ti!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jify [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. Add points to Stamina, no matter what class/race you are, or you WILL regret ti!
I think that's only for melees.

If you're a caster, STA is a waste. 1 point of STA gives you hardly any HPs.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

So Dex improves your chance to proc, your chance to riposte, block and parry. Agility improves your change to Dodge.

[CODE]
chancetohit -= ((float)defender->GetAGI() * RuleR(Combat, AgiHitFactor));

mlog(COMBAT__TOHIT, "Chance to hit after agil calc %.2f", chancetohit);

[\CODE]

It looks to be pulling the defenders agility, not the attackers regarding chance to hit.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrubius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think that's only for melees.

If you're a caster, STA is a waste. 1 point of STA gives you hardly any HPs.
Casters cap out Int with Pre Kunark Gear, casters cap out Charisma with Pre Kunark Gear, casters cap out Wisdom with Pre Kunark gear (even troll shammys).

Melee stats are easy to cap as well as stated above. You will have encounters with AOEs that will hit you regardless of your wis/int/char so one stat will keep you alive longer even though you "think" the returns on it are small. Classes like Necros and Shaman have spells that convert hps to mana as well.

When Kunark lands you also get the Mana Robe that converts hps to mana.

With all of these factors at play here, what is the most logical choice for casters to make stat wise?

Its pretty amazing that this is still something people argue against [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Thac0; 05-22-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Old 05-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the answers so far. Sorry I wasn't able to find answers elsewhere. As you can see from my number of posts, this is my first thread (noob). Also, as stated, I wasn't sure how p1999 might differ from eq live.

The code is a good help, although sometimes tough to decipher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like AGI only affects your chance to be hit, not your chance to hit.

Code
"chancetohit -= ((float)defender->GetAGI() * RuleR(Combat, AgiHitFactor));"

Seems like the AGI of the defender is being multiplied by some factor and the product is removed from the attackers chance to hit. I couldn't find anything that showed an addition to chance to hit from agility.

Also, @guineapig: For now I'm more concerned about getting to lvl 50 rather than my stats once I reach 50. I'm probably going to be more casual than hard core. Regardless, I don't understand the great benefit of extra STA for a rogue at 50. Rogues shouldn't be taking damage anyway, so what's the benefit of stamina? And is it really worth sacrificing the bonus strength for leveling 1 to 50? Thanks in advance.
Looks like it, but I didn't want to look too hard so I don't spoil my fun.

Here's what the attack rating is listed in the inventory window for reference:
Code:
AttackRating = ((WornCap * 1.342) + (GetSkill(OFFENSE) * 1.345) + ((GetSTR() - 66) * 0.9) + (GetPrimarySkillValue() * 2.69));
WornCap is i think referring to the attack mod on items.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 05-22-2010 at 08:20 PM..
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Aviak

FYI - 188 strength is the magic number (with shaman buffs you will be at 255)

Str -> Dex (if you have a proc'ing weapon(s)) -> hp / sta and resists
Jeebus - Erudite Cleric
Closed Thread