Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

If you are are a person that has say two level 60 toons you probably spend less time raiding on them then people spend leveling up on say a 50 toon.

Who is Hard Core? The person that spends 20 hours a week leveling or 20 hours a week tracking, killing top end content?? Seems the same to me but the 60's are being bashed to hell on here. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Kobold

I'm in FE and I'm casual!

Poor Hardcores (Variety)
Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Aviak

The original point of the thread was to introduce a new way of thinking about other players. If you see someone with a guild tag <The Mystical Order> some people directly assume they are in-game 100 hours a week. Then you have individuals who see a person with a guild tag like <The Alliance> and think that the player is weak and only raids crushbone (thats a joke btw...).

Make no mistake, guild tag doesnt define the players ability, dedication or entitlement. It's good to hear respect from both ends though.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Fire Giant

For me back in the day, the definition between the two were:

Casual: Plays the game on their own time, when they can fit it into their schedule.

Hardcore: Plays the game in place of doing other things in their life. The game is an important aspect.

You then get fine lines with the definitions, like "so a disabled person who can only reliable play a video game like everquest does so 100 hours, is he casual because he can't do anything else?" Eh, well, if EQ is a major part of his life then he is hardcore. Same thing with a person who only plays 5 hours a week, but that entire 5 hours is the result of responding to a batphone. They actively block out time in their day to play a game.

I'd say most people in the "2nd tier" raid guilds or higher would be categorized as Hardcore players. They play the game in place of doing other things in life. Is this bad? Not necessarily. There are good people here, and socializing in a game vs socializing in a bar is a much better prospect for many, so it is no way a bad term.

But lets all be honest, the fact that any of us play a 15 year old game makes us pretty hardcore. And i don't even play that much anymore :/
Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshozal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Casuals are not scum, anymore than hardcore players are.

The only thing I'm trying to get across here is that these are perceived relative terms. I'm in TMO, but I actually consider myself casual!

The game doesn't owe anything to either camp. What each camp owes each other is, in Xasten's words, a meta game that rewards the hardcores for their willingness to compete, while respecting the casual player's desire to participate.'

Unfortunately, as I said to you previously Bob, this server is nothing like live. 3 years of Kunark has given rise to a completely unsustainable raiding population for the number of available targets. This is not the fault of the casuals or the hardcores. And this shortage of targets per capita has led to vast new heights of what we refer to as "hardcore."

I still boggle at the idea of the players being forced to "solve" a problem that they did not necessarily create. This is why I was so strongly supportive of Loraen's repop ideas: because I believe that the problem can be lessened only by an increase of available targets per capita. Velious or repops, or both.

But making it into a character battle between two arbitrarily defined camps is woefully myopic.
I agree with a lot of this. I too supported Loraen's repop idea and feel its the fairest solution and the only one that will actually make the server a better place. Not to mention a hell of a lot more fun. Which according to the Devs/GMs is the whole point of this.