Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Kobold

From what I remember, the ONLY decaying skeletons to be KOS other than the Kunark ones were the ones found in Nektulous. I started playing live in July of 2000, and between my two brothers and myself, we'd made characters spanning all 3 continents (deleted alts, etc). I am unsure of the ones (if there even are any) in the Feerrott and Innothule
Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, Kunark came out in 04/00. Velious was released in 12/00, making 01 shortly after Velious release?

There's documentation both ways, leading me to believe there were indifferent decaying skeletons, and kos ones, depending on your homeland.

I seem to remember when I needed to sit down and memorize a spell, on the way to town, decaying skeletons had no qualms with hitting me and interrupting them. Maybe that's faulty memory?
Apologies, you're correct regarding the dates (i was ballparking... badly! hah)

I do recall getting attacked randomly by SKELETONS... but not decaying.
My first character was a dark elf wizard and in addition to spending many hours in nektulos, I recall when porting to nek at the wiz spires one would often get attacked by zombies, mummies, and skeletons that surrounded the spires.

I had quit before they revamped nek, so I never saw them turn the nek skeletons KOS, but I do recall playing a few iksar characters and FoB decaying skeletons definitely did aggro (like pretty much everything in kunark did... although kunark was strange, everything scowled but not everything immediately attacked?) This led to the classic FoB skeleton trains towards the guards, and many newb corpses.

As I created a DE cleric here on p99, I immediately noticed how much more difficult it was to level up my newb dealing with the spiders assisting the fire beetles (and vice versa... something they never used to do) as well as decaying skeletons aggroing.

As someone noted above, the link posted by Uthgaard specifies the 'befallen' faction hit on the decaying skeleton, and it makes sense for decaying skeletons in befallen to be KOS.

The problem, as I see it, is that most people remember undead being KOS to everyone, and are merely accepting that decaying skeletons would be aggro as well.
Last edited by PabloEdvardo; 11-29-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Sarnak

Decaying skeletons was KOS to everyone in vanilla from the very start of EQ. No matter your lvl.

Not talking about any expansions or later changes. I know they were changed at some point to make life easier for newbies, so they could run around allmost everywhere in newbie zones without getting any agro

Most people that argue about this either didn't play at launch or have a very bad memory. They are by original design supposed to be a nuiscence to everyone, high or low lvl
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEdvardo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do recall getting attacked randomly by SKELETONS... but not decaying.
This.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread. It's just that I started playing today, and I was quite surprised to see a decaying skeleton attack me. Skeletons were a nuisance (the level 6[?] ones, who would attack anyone in sight), but I'm 100% sure that decaying skeletons were harmless in all the zones I played (everywhere except the evil newbie zones). I played from August 1999 to December 2001.

I have vivid memories of chasing decaying skeletons that carried a cracked staff (1pp!), but it was hard to attack them when they were walking because my dial-up connection was horrible. If they were KoS, that would never have happened.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Kobold

The truth is,

This is entirely wrong. They always attacked! Even at level 60. I would laugh so hard if you made these non kos. LOL

Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetruth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The truth is,

This is entirely wrong. They always attacked! Even at level 60. I would laugh so hard if you made these non kos. LOL
The truth is,

You stopped playing after Kunark then, because from late Kunark onwards all decaying skeletons (including those in Nektulos) were non-aggro.

So far we haven't found any solid evidence of them being non-KOS prior to that, however, so it's a bit hard to do any convincing.

Do just a tiny bit of digging though and you'll see plenty of evidence that supports them being non-kos after Kunark.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Sarnak

The best memory I have of decaying skeletons being non-aggressive would be paineel noob grounds. The only aggressive creature in that whole area was Noclins Pet.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Decaying Skeleton

KoS decaying skeletons are ruining my immersion.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Planar Protector

I seem to remember Decaying Skeletons attacking me all of the time, no matter what level I was.....I remember how annoying it was.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Aviak

http://web.archive.org/web/200004120...=show&BID=1657

Post from bottom of page.

--Submited by: Salamandar, Wood Elf Ranger On: 10/08/1999 2:26:40 AM
Decaying skeletons does not attack
unprovoked in Greater Feydark.
But they support other skeletons in battle.
Closed Thread