Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Fire Giant

One more thing I'll say is WoW had PvP in Wintergrasp that is the only PvP to ever hold my interest for more than a single session...
Old 08-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

Legacy of Steel had several Blizzard employees in the guild. As a result it was of no surprise that WoW addressed alot of the gameplay issues EQ had.

But Luclin and the "Bazaar" with instancing really killed EQ. Took away social aspects of the game.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Orc

I played WoW for 6 years and EQ for the first 4ish years and WoW never once made me feel like I did playing EQ. I miss things like being able to buy twink gear and sitting in the tunnel trading.

I miss grinding in CS on Wyverns on my Necro and running around tracking shit on my Druid. I cant say I miss anything about WoW really. WoW is a great game and is 10 times more polished than most MMO's to date and I had fun playing it but they restricted so many things to make things "fair" because crybabies wanted casual this and casual that. Hell, in EQ a set of twink gear can last you 50 levels but in WoW everything is NO DROP so you can only use it till you get an upgrade in a level or 2.

Having an epic weapon in WoW didnt mean shit because it only lasted till next raid. I remember having my epic on my druid in EQ and it lasted till PoP when I got the scimitar in PoValor I think.

I do like WoW but i'm done with it and thats why I came back here. I'll play GW2 and this till EQnext releases and im sure ill be 40 by then heh.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Kobold

One thing EQ did well(largely) was challenge players. No, it's not THAT hard, but it's a lot harder than most other MMO's. If you don't do your job or pay attention, you can expect to die or get booted from your group. I think Dark Souls was in this same ballpark. I loved it and recommend it to all. It's not an MMO, but it's a blast and challenging.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think Dark Souls was in this same ballpark. I loved it and recommend it to all. It's not an MMO, but it's a blast and challenging.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Sums up the game.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Kobold

That clip rocks. Makes me want to fire up my PS3 again.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Debatable. WoW was released 11/2004.. Sony had driven EQ into the ground by that point.

Consensus is EQ peaked at Velious, trailed off at SoL, picked up with PoP and the rest is history from 2003 on.

This is ridiculous revisionist history, but if somehow WoW premiered in 2002 or earlier, it wouldn't have been nearly as successful initially. WoW really hit the jackpot with both timing (absorbing jaded ex-EQ players), and recognizing that the masses have interest in gaming for 1-2 hours at a time.
isnt aslso a douche move from wow they send beta test to many of the top eq high ranking guilds . for free.

myself got a beta key for euro servers months ebfore the release.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Large Rat

Luclin...

The new models and animations were bad.

I like Kerrans as a slender race, but Vah Shir being huge and buff was weird.

Cats on the moon, of course, made no sense to me lore-wise.

Interaction with other players was changed to interaction with NPCs. No more asking for teleports. No more buying or selling things in EC or GFay.

Luclin had some cool things about it, but it just felt too much like a space station. It didn't make sense that powerful NPC wizards would just stand around outdoors, teleporting people there (but only there) for free, regardless of their race or class. It would have been really cool if you had to go to Erudin, Neriak or Felwithe and talk to the Wizard Guildmaster to get teleported.

Cat people can't be monks? But they can be bards? C'mon! /Gob
Old 08-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default back to classic

I didnt start eq until Luclin, so my breaking point was GoD. I did come back and work my way with my guild through DoN content, but the shine wore off though my guild was awesome and filled with RL friends. I hated when they started changing old world zones and particularly the starting city revamps. I've meandered through half a dozen other MMOs mostly soloing because i havent found a community like my old guild since, mostly just ignorant jagloads. Started here yesterday and I forgot how hard low levels were and how scarce money can be. I got so used to the cookie cutter, select one of these text choices, every quest giver has a giant indicator world we've moved to that this is refreshing and infinitely frustrating for me at the same time as I dont remember everything i used to about this game. I am looking forward to getting my shiny new iksar sk his Greenmist someday. Well and I have to load up the software on my desktop once i get home from this trip, because this crappy old laptop locks up the app everytime i die.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 AM
Developer

When the magic started going away for me was:

1) The new Luclin models lacked a lot of creativity. They were way different from the original artistic models. They should have just created an updated version of the classic models. They were oversized for the environment. The animations were terrible. Spell casting animation was lazy. They always leaned like they had one leg shorter than the other. And they sat leaning over like they had hemorrhoids.

2) Revamping of classic zones. Now they could've done a much better job. They could have used the old zones' characteristics and replicate them the best of their ability with improved textures and rounding off the boxiness. Instead they made everything bland and oversized as if somehow that was more impressive. It created so many empty spaces that you lost your curiosity to explore. Architectural structures starting looking the same. Every city building looked copied and pasted. There was no uniqueness.

3) New music. The original melodies were brilliant. (Thank you Jay Barbeau.) I could actually enjoy myself while the songs were looping. The music actually changed in the zone depending on where you were. So they blended in perfectly with the environment. When those PoP mp3s came out, I couldn't stand listening to the songs more than once. They were either slow and drawn out or so overbearing (combat music) that you couldn't think.

4) Instant teleportation stones. One of the best things about classic was the necessity to have to travel through new places or rely on others to get you there like wizards, druids, and bards. If you were new to the game, you would have missed a lot of content because you could bypass a lot of zones. You kind of lost your connection with the environment and your character because of this.

I could go on.. lol
Closed Thread