Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Default Server Down

Basically, The server is down due to DDoS. Attacker finally threw the kitchen sink at us and decided to do a consistent attack instead of the little pansy 5 minute bursts. I could put the server up on other hardware like before and run it again, but hes just going to keep attacking. I'm going to concede this childish battle, for now.

We are not giving up, but we are studying our options currently, and we will have something planned out soon. I don't see us being down for longer than a week or two, and I'll have an exact date for our return soon.

Mr. Attacker, if you have any balls, come speak to me in IRC. I'm just curious what the reasons are this time.

Also, I invite everyone else to come join us in the IRC Server: irc.eqemulator.net (6667) #Project1999

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Orc

Shame it has to be this way, hope u get it sorted soon m8.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Aviak

ugh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Planar Protector

Time to inhale the pollen outside!

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Aviak

Not sure how corpse timers work, but will our corpses be retrievable if the server is down for so long? I may be only level 22 without much for gear, but I do value what little I have sitting on my corpse that I was unable to log back in to retrieve [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Sarnak

Good time...finals weeks. I almost feel like thanking the fellow? lol Sucks though cause I have been working ahead so that I could get in one night this week.

Isn't there some kind of DDoS protection you can get? I guess if it's random IP's over, and over then there is little that can be done ya?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

We went through it before. Sad...but my 10 years of waiting for P99 makes a week or two of this pale in comparison.

Mr. Attacker...I'm going out later to catch a movie, kick the dog...and cuddle with the old lady. Or cuddle with the dog and kick the old lady. Whichever seems like more fun. Enjoy yourself. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Sarnak

I had a thought...anything to do with the TTH post becoming public today? maybe it's just some lame kid in his mom's basement griefing for lawls?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Aviak

Dont take the server down=( this is way the attacker wanted.....you let him win..i say let him lag the server he cant keep it up forever..and didnt you say if he did it for more than 10 minutes you could trace him anyways?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dont take the server down=( this is way the attacker wanted.....you let him win..i say let him lag the server he cant keep it up forever..and didnt you say if he did it for more than 10 minutes you could trace him anyways?
I think the constant lag leading to countless deaths and an overall low player count will do far more damage to the server's integrity than taking it down for a short period of time.

Thanks for all your work and help on this project, Rogean.

I'm sorry to see things went this way--it's a shame our DDoS attacker has chosen to take such a childish route. I actually feel bad for him.
Closed Thread