Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Kobold

Default How do Bards solo in a dungeon?

I've been thinking of making an alt Bard (as my only alt...) and I'm pretty experienced on the swarm kiting as I've leveled a Bard here to 36 completely solo. With that being said, I never ventured into a dungeon as I really had no idea on how to solo efficiently inside.

What methods do Bards use to say, camp frogluk assassin or robe of ishiva in Paw? I also have seen a few places were Bards solo in The Hole. How is this done?

Thanks for sharing and your time!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Sarnak

One way is the obvious method, which is Lulls, Mez's, Regen, Hastes, Slow, Snare, and Dots/DDs.

With that being said, unless you grossly out level the dungeon, solo'ing can be difficult for bards because they don't have a whole lot of defense / offense and has a good chance of dying from a mobs attacks. There are a couple ways to combat this:

If you're fighting a caster, use mez as a chain stun the best you can. Mezzing will obviously interupt the mob's casting and doesnt cost you any mana.

If you're losing the fight, use mez or even charm to stop the fight temporarily, using regen until you feel like the fight should continue.

You can also use the same idea that swarm kiting provides, and charm one monster to send against another single monster, and watch them kill themselves, then you finish them off.

Bards really don't do that bad when you're much higher than the camp, just remember to keep snare and regen handy, and use the single target dots and DDs for added damage.

For me, I was able to solo a bit in castle MM while LFG from level 25~ to 27, using lull and DD's to pull to the entrance. I use AE Dots and the DD as extra damage and don't use regen until after the fight.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Bards have great utility in raids and groups, and are terrific soloers.

But they're poor toe-to-toe soloers, which means soloing in a dungeon is not efficient. They also don't duo particularly well, though their ability to get xp by swarm kiting would likely be sufficient for a full group sitting afk.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Aviak

Slow and Mez will be what keep you alive and able to go toe to toe with the mobs, helps bridge the gap on the defense/HP. The self haste is pretty awesome, and the single target dots can help out on DPS, if you are using Selo's for slow, then you've got them snared already. Just keep mez handy for when it gets bad and be ready to zone if its just not working. ALL this being said, it is not an efficient method for leveling but something I've used when I needed to camp an item for an alt or for a quest. In general you still need to be engaging anywhere from light blue to green mobs to pull it off.

This has worked for me at least, in general I just stay out a dungeon when it comes to solo.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Get familiar with pathing and then fear kite.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They also don't duo particularly well...
Partner with a shaman for /win.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Cribanox covered most of it, bards are much more capable soloers when they are allowed to utilize their ultimate tool: selos. I soloed my DE mask at 47 (ass/sup was a L30-35 camp on Live back in 2001), and I wrote up a guide about how to do it here. LGuk is one of the closest quarters dungeons in the game, definitely tighter than KC or Seb.

In KC and seb, I've soloed the zone in mobs using alternating charm methods (charm one, dot second, when charm breaks charm second and dot first). Since charm clears aggro you can manage to keep your DoTed mob attacking your charmed pet if you alternate your charms. But this is difficult and I've had a lot less luck with it in Seb than KC. And it leaves little room for error.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Sarnak

As has been said, dungeon soloing as a bard is pretty laborious. Another variation which I have used is mez/snare/dot/dot/dot/charm/pet sit. This is dependent on having your target solo and a well split camp.

Mez your target, snare, cast your three dots, charm and then have your pet sit. This allows the dots to hit for their full value. If you can time the server ticks correctly you can land two dots before the mez breaks and get the third and charm off before taking much damage. Regen while you wait for the dots to take effect. Once the dots have done their work cast mez and just before it lands /hide and with any luck it will break charm and your mob will be mezzed. Rinse and repeat until dead.

Slow going, but viable if you can't stand up to a mobs melee damage.
<Asgard>
Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherzul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been thinking of making an alt Bard (as my only alt...) and I'm pretty experienced on the swarm kiting as I've leveled a Bard here to 36 completely solo. With that being said, I never ventured into a dungeon as I really had no idea on how to solo efficiently inside.

What methods do Bards use to say, camp frogluk assassin or robe of ishiva in Paw? I also have seen a few places were Bards solo in The Hole. How is this done?

Thanks for sharing and your time!
Just curious, but why do you have to solo? Try grouping in a dungeon as a bard. There's so much you can bring to a group, they'll love having you around.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Kobold

Was merely curious at the capability of Bard farming in dungeons...i.e. soloing assassin.

Thanks for the replies Bards [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread