Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Banned

Default Bard AC/Tank question

I been away for like 7 or 8 months now, I read somewhere in the patchnotes that AC got fixed. Are bards still viable tanks? I remember being a beast with slow/snare in groups.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

over 100 views, no replies/answer
Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

AC is better for plate classes and worse for others.

Also, slow + snare still work.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Sarnak

bards have excellent agro when they are trying to generate it.

They absorb damage exactly like they should in relation to others. Less well than real tanks, and a tiny bit better than a ranger. They can tank harder exp mobs without putting too much extra strain on clerics.

Bard damage shield stacking on themselves is pretty nice if tanking.

Describing them as beasts is a little extreme. They remain the 4th option as a tank.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Eh in a group I'll take a knight -> bard -> ranger -> warrior. Hell I may even consider a shaman above warrior.

Having no ability to snap aggro and being completely reliant on melee DPS or RNG rolls with your procs is terrible in a group setting. Especially if the group isn't getting boring single pulls, and instead are breaking entire rooms at once.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Sarnak

Bards are great at getting and keeping aggro on multiple mobs at once. Remember when WOW first came out and warriors were able to keep aggro on a whole room full of mobs at once? Remember how refreshing that was? That's what bards can do.

The downside is that bards have fewer hitpoints than a warrior and take a little more damage. If you aggro 5 mobs at once your cleric might be chain casting CH just to keep you alive. He'll be fine chain casting it since you'll be able to keep aggro and maybe slow the mobs, but the healers can only keep that up so long before they run out of mana. You need to carefully balance the size of the pulls against your group's healing and dps abilities.

But yeah try out being a tank. If you play well your group will be thrilled.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Sarnak

I had around 645 ac at my 20s and now 800 at 52, as a bard i group with warriors and monks routinely, I have to say they tank way way better. At no level up to 52 have i ever been able to tank, so i don't know what lv you were but its not true at my level.

Case in point: soloing a green con at 52 with with melee i take massive damage, only real way to kill is kiting.

Now on the other hand i have seen wars of my lv soloing mobs in the mid to high 30s taking no damage whatsoever. I have even been in a solb group where the war was gaining hp every mob, no healer besides a heal song from me (no lute equiped, no epic). So to me if you want to tank i'd say be a massive twink with full singing steel and an ikky bp from the get go, or don't.

Thats probably what people are talking about when they say a bard can tank well, that at 60 range with epic gear or whatever, they will tank trash. If your a group player who is not rich doubt it'll happen
Old 09-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Kobold

Most melee mobs are trivial once slowed anyways, and a bard can hold great aggro. Put those two together and there is no reason a bard shouldn't be considered to tank.

Aside from I hate bards, so I don't consider them for anything.

Ever.

Stupid bards.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Sarnak

Bard defensive caps are also delayed/lower compared to other classes. Dodge, Parry, Riposte, Defense, all either take longer to get or have a lower cap than warriors, knights, rangers.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Kobold

I was tanking in CoM (I know, I know) the other day without problem. That was at 47 and with decent but by no means outstanding gear. The slow song was able to hold aggro over two epic rogues even. Wasnt too much strain on the cleric. That said, we're more effective when a knight tanks and we can use more of our versatility.
Closed Thread