Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

they have a tier for now for what is basically going to be internal testing. Don't let that one run out, grab it now
Old 01-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubbz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im sorry to tell you guys but there will NEVER EVER BE ANOTHER GAME LIKE EVERQUEST. Everquest required tons and tons of time to play, remember back in 1999? How long did it take to get 1 level? Do you really REALLY think the kids of todays generation (the core consumers the mmo companies focus on) can and will set through those hell levels like we did back in day? HELL NO and we also had AOL to deal with.

You guys can all hope and dream for the next everquest game but it will just never happen, the loyal fanbase has grown up and the new generation of kids will not play a game that makes you grow a neckbeard.

Its the reason why wow is so popular, deal with it.
They are going for a targeted audience, not for "the kids of today" First mmo in a long ass time that has the balls to make a truely enjoyable game for one audience and not a mass market. It might not make the numbers WoW did back when it was the highest populated mmo but it will have enough to make profit I predict. FYI, if you think WoW has the highest population.. you are living under a rock my friend, that ship sailed after lich king.
Last edited by Brad_mo123; 01-17-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Brad_mo123;1279657It might not make the numbers WoW did back when it was the highest populated mmo but it will have enough to make profit I predict. FYI, if you think WoW has the highest population.. you are living under a rock my friend, that ship sailed after lich king.
Sorry to tell you but wow, even at 6mil active subbs still beats every mmo on the market, hell i would be shocked if anything besides ff14 had more then a million subbs. Keep on dreaming for the mmo that can live up to our everquest standards.
Last edited by Grubbz; 01-17-2014 at 04:09 PM..
Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Fire Giant

you poor baby
Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Sarnak

even some of the kids today realize they are being spoonfed/handheld in MMOs and want more challenge, risk vs reward
Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Fire Giant

I'm down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Need some of those big 10k packages to start moving...
If I wasnt a working stiff with wife/kids I'd totally splurg 10k for a trip out there.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 AM
Planar Protector

People need to realize we're not talking about EQ1 here. We're talking about a game that might have some similarities to EQ1, but it'll be modern in most other ways you can imagine.

Whatever lessons Brad carried with him from Vanguard is probably what he's taking with him into this. So in fact I'd say his new game idea is probably more related to Vanguard than EQ1.

Now, there's a market for "tough" games. But when I say "tough" I don't mean EQ1 as it used to be.

I play Wurm Online and in many ways it's more hardcore than EQ1 was. It has corpse runs. It doesn't have an in-game map. There's no in-game radar. There's no instant travel. There's skill loss when you die. The forests are very thick in non-winter months and it's hard to see monsters. New players are thrown into the world, basically. Creatures don't even have hovering names above them nor do they light up if you target them. And so on. I know some players do not like these kinds of features, but for me it has always increased the tension and I like it. Some players will just never get it and will never like games with this. I guess all I got to say is I like it. The danger makes sucks me into the game and it's satisfying. Other games feel too safe.

Wurm Online it has many improvements over EQ1. The most important improvement to me is its sandbox. One thing I never liked much about EQ1 was the world didn't really change and the players weren't able to shape the world. A sandbox allows this and it in turn makes it more lifelike. Another improvement is its skill-based system which I think is more freeform than EQ1. While I think classes offer a lot more direction to players, they can also be a hindrance for the same reason. They tend to focus so much on giving direction they kill the feeling of character development. I say this because character development is as much choice as it's progression. When I have a path prearranged for me then I'm not making choices and it's not character development.

In some ways, Wurm Online falls far short of my ideal mmorpg. Its skills are underdeveloped in many cases and as a result there's a lot of grind. Another problem is how players come together in villages and because of how the skills work they're encouraged to grind for high skill and/or use too few skills. I've suggested several ways to address the problem in their forums, but I don't think anybody is listening. Unfortunately, I feel this is a very serious problem. It's producing negative effects players are mistaking for other things.

I will say though Wurm Online had a tremendous impression on me in 2012 and into 2013. The memories I'll take with me I'll cherish. Wurm Online is the best mmo experience I've ever had, greater than EQ1. What it boils down to is the tension; the danger. And also the sandbox. Those two things stand out to me. It all combined to create an incredible immersion that absorbed me completely and had its way with me.

Wurm Online was like a kiss from an angel. Of course, all good things eventually come to an end. I don't know where Wurm Online will go from here, but it'll probably mudflate and become more carebear-ish. You know every game that's hard-ish is always pushed to become more carebear-ish by the casuals. I have no hate towards casuals and I don't go after their games, but when they come after mine I don't like it. I've had some crashes with it last month that turned me off and so I did other things. Crashing is somethign I just can't stomach. Evenso, I built a nice place and made a boat and saw a lot of things during that time.

Other mmo's I'm interested in are Mortal Online and Secret World and Xyson, I've just never tried them. I tend to like MMO's with more risk and punishment and less hand holding.

Right now I"m not playing any mmo's. Been playing single player games. In fact, for the first time ever, I played Fallout 1. I was lucky GoG allow members to buy Fallout 1/2 for free free pre-2014. I finished Fallout 1 and it was a great experience to play a classic game and come away with lessons from it. I don't think anybody will even notice this post or even get as far as to read this, but if you try Fallout 1 you should keep in mind it has far less content than Fallout 2 and if you're not careful it'll cause you a lot of pain. A lot of hte pain has to do with crits and radiation damage. Some of these problems are in Fallout 2 too. Other than that, some players complain about irreversible changes, but most aren't game stopping and I like to play through it.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 01-18-2014 at 03:03 AM..
Old 01-18-2014, 03:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The more people post this damn game repeatedly the more I hope it fails miserably.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mK2fNG26xFg
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People need to realize we're not talking about EQ1 here. We're talking about a game that might have some similarities to EQ1, but it'll be modern in most other ways you can imagine.
3. EQ is definitely the foundation we are building everything upon.

-Brad

Damn I'm good

Can you feel that captain compost?
Closed Thread