Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: When was your first experience with Everquest?
Pre-Kunark (March 1999-April 2000) 4,623 51.27%
Kunark (April 2000-December 2000) 2,280 25.29%
Velious (December 2000-December 2001) 908 10.07%
Luclin or later (December 2001-Present) 683 7.57%
Never played Everquest on live. Project 1999 is your first experience. 523 5.80%
Voters: 9017. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I remember playing in a tiny screen inside the larger window, first person only. Nice large easy to see chat. Meditate was staring into a book which was not as relaxing as you would think meditate to be. Should have been called terrifying. Don't forget to put a point in terrify at 8.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Kobold

Started back in May '99 my dad introduced me at the tender age of 13. I made a human warrior and remember spending that whole night hunting large rats and snakes under the watchful eye of the Freeport west gate guards.

I let my sense of adventure get the better of me at one point and I got turned around. When the screen paused and I saw the Loading East Commonlands... Please Wait I literally pooped myself! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Fire Giant

Started pre kunark

My friend bought the game was talking about it constantly. 2 week later I purchased and loaded patched and away I went. fought the skeleton in the intro then zoned over to Freeport. I had made a cleric.

Squashed large rats, bats, decayed skeleton, and snakes oh my till level 4 man that took hours. got killed by shadow knight in the sk/necro guild area trying to find the docks hehe. Took boat ride to butcherblock and totally cool to see the islands come up as we crossed the ocean.

By far the most memorable thing about original EQ was getting of boat and running along path(had to ask multiple times how to get to greater fay dark). when I got to a bend in path and see the giant dwarf statue above kaladim through the tree I was like freaking aye!!!! I had such a sense of awe I could not believe how beautiful the game looked. I was hooked

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 07-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Large Bat

My husband played EQ for quite sometime before I got into it. He was on his way to a wedding in Felwithe one afternoon when he asked me if I would run him there. "Just follow the path" he said. So I did. By the time I got there to the zone line of Felwithe, I was hooked. And I hadn't even killed anything! That afternoon (right after the wedding which I watched with great enthusiasm) we went to our local EB Games and I got my own account. September 21, 2001.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Large Bat

I remember dinging 50 in Sol B King camp during the first day of Kunark release.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Sarnak

Hehe who remembers the Soandso tutorial [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My first EQ encounter was watching my older sisters BF play it.. His DE necro .. Was probably in some place like SRo or something.. Also remember watching him fight Slate, and FP guards... Then my buddy got the game, and we'd play at his house (think now being 16) (pre kunark) once I was 17 I think.. Could finally afford my first comp, emachines.. Got the game personally after kunark release.. Such awesome memories lol

Remember playin at buddies, and I Could NOT pass lvl 7 in Nek woods.. Fighting at skele pyramid.. Everytime I was near ding, I'd die... Then my 3 ish hours would be up lol.
Then I'd try again next week haha. After months, I left Nek woods into EC.. And was like WOW, there is Sun and light and ... Sun!! Hahah
Old 08-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Kobold

Most definitely after Kunark, i got my first experience watching my roommate play, i asked him what he was playing, and he told me all about it, i went and got my own copy, and i clearly remember the Kunark picture on the disk. I cant remember the exact date, but it might have been around 2000.

I was immediately attracted to the Barb's, so i made a Barb Shammy, and Demarcuss was born, played Demarcuss the rest of my days, got him to 65. Many other character followed, but I have to say playing on p99 feels like i have just continued the journey i started on live. Now Demarcuss has become Grumpybear lvl 24 Shammy on p99, "let the journey continue". [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Aviak

Honestly I'm not exactly sure when I first started. I remember the friend who introduced me getting the new expansion and playing around in Luclin; I'm just not sure how long this was after we started playing.

I only ever got to 18ish max on my Druid, so I'd guess right before Luclin was released, perhaps.

I remember my computer was 133 mhz and couldn't handle more than one of the new models. (Truthfully it could barely handle the game in the first place).
Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Talking Beta Kid

Me and my wife where so excited when we got our beta invites in our email. We downloaded it and were addicted for the next 8 years. About the time things got hectic and disconnected with all the changes due to rolling expansion releases that seem to change the entire dynamic and mechanics of the game.

I remember dying so many times due to the autoattach key being originally mapped to the "A" key. I would think I was typing in chat to start a quest or answer someone and *BOOM* toon would hit the ground with the death drums playing and scream of death and smack sound. I was so happy when I learned how to remap that key. Then later after lots of complaints I am sure, the changed the default to "Q" which most agreed was a smart move. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The wife and I still love to play MMORPG's together. I am truly blessed.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Kobold

My brother and I started playing after a friend of his showed him the game in July 2000. For about a year we actually played together some of the time with him controlling the mouse and me on the keyboard. Eventually we each had our own accounts and it was a battle for the AOL line to use the internet, riddled with stich es and broken bones, lol. I played until we beat Quarm in Plane of Time during the PoP era
Closed Thread