Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-25-2023, 03:33 AM
Kobold

That isn't taunts only application lol. You should never ever just spam it end of story
Old 11-25-2023, 03:35 AM
Kobold

Taunt can give you 10x the amount of threat that any Spell can ever give you. Instantly. Do not waste it you armatures.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:01 AM
Planar Protector

As this is a SK thread I think it is important to note that taunt can get you back to the top in case you had to throw out a FD.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-25-2023, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesty07 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Taunt can give you 10x the amount of threat that any Spell can ever give you. Instantly. Do not waste it you armatures.
A knight aggro spell will hold aggro over any other player with the exception of a GCD clicking bane wizard (theoretically, tho knights tanking those targets is rare). I expect, all the SK taps, flash of light, stuns, etc are close to 1k hate as is slow and other aggro spells. They also have faster cast rates and lower CD’s than most debuffs or nukes.

If a knight can’t keep aggro it’s the knights issue. I tank VSR without attacking and wizards go ham after about 10 seconds in. It never flips. If it did I guess I would put taunt back on my skill bar.

I’d agree completely though. Spamming it when you have aggro is stupid. It’s not doing any good.
Old 11-25-2023, 12:30 PM
Kobold

Like is said, taunt can generate more agro than any other Spell or combination of spells. Not arguing your point that sk spells are good agro and if a Knight doesn't want to lose agro they won't. Still doesn't stop taunt doing what it does.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

I hold agro just fine and get agro back quickly. Anybody who says saving taunt is some kind of pro strat is just being silly lol. It has a 6 second cooldown and is unreliable. Use it on codown if you want. I've done it for years without issue.

The only reason to say it would be bad is if you can prove it hurts your agro by doing it.

The benefit of using it on cooldown is you can get agro back if it happens to shift right before you use it. Less latency in getting agro back in those situations. If you are saving it you have a zero percent chance of this happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Taunt can fail.
Taunt is close range.

I tend to stay wayyyy at the top of the threat table. If someone pulls aggro IMHO it’s better to crank another quick aggro spell than chase and taunt. Any solid taunt spell will rip back a slowed mob NP.
Exactly. Any good SK is going to use their taunt spells immediately after you lose agro. They are ranged and are more reliable. Obviously use taunt as well, but that isn't the first tool you use when trying to get agro back most of the time. If taunt was that reliable (and thus worth saving), Warriors wouldn't have agro issues.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-25-2023 at 02:36 PM..
Old 11-25-2023, 02:35 PM
Fire Giant

The EV of a well timed taunt is orders of magnitude greater than spamming it for maybe 1 hate every 6 seconds. It effectively does nothing if you spam it.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Blowing it immediately off CD doesn’t provide any benefit. Burning bash/slam is not wise either (on a caster) but at least it does a modicum of damage.

I might just put taunt back on the bar. Save some mana and kick my feet up when it’s a low risk situation. Like after slow lands and it’s settled.
Old 11-25-2023, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The EV of a well timed taunt is orders of magnitude greater than spamming it for maybe 1 hate every 6 seconds. It effectively does nothing if you spam it.
It does do something. If you are spamming it then you have a chance of automatically getting agro back when you lose it if it is timed right. You have a zero percent chance of this happening if you save it. Taunt cooldown is fast enough to where you don't have a high chance of happening to use Taunt 6 seconds before you lose agro.

Knights are going to prioritize agro spells over taunt most of the time. You could bind your agro spell and taunt to a macro if you want to do things that way, but you still have a chance of taunt being out of range if the mob runs away.

It's just a numbers game of spamming it to get a chance at it succeeding vs. saving it and chancing it failing due to range issues. Remember when casting spells you can't move.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-25-2023 at 02:45 PM..
Old 11-25-2023, 02:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It does do something. If you are spamming it then you have a chance of automatically getting agro back when you lose it if it is timed right.
So in your mind, spamming it and hoping to get the timing right is better than deliberately timing it right?