Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:39 AM
Aviak

Default My MMO existential crisis

I only really have time to play p99, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any MMOs out there that I can poke out of my little bubble and try out. Can any MMO exist to match the glory of taking down a dragon with 70 other players and winning a piece of loot that, if RMT was allowed, would probably be worth hundreds of dollars? Yeah, people complain a lot about P99 but that's still some glorious shit that I'm not sure anyone else can duplicate.

Archeage

I heard good things about Archeage being a "sandbox". Installed it and quickly found myself following an incoherent story to solve quest, after quest, after quest--with mobs that are so easy to dispatch I just yawn my way through it. I also discovered about zero player interaction. I don't see how there can be any glory here. Uninstall.

Black Desert Online

So I was told if you didn't like Archeage, try out BDO instead, another so-called "sandbox". What I found was another Korean mis-translation-fest and lots of people in general chat going "kekekekke ^_______^" who are probably not Koreans but white kids pretending to be Koreans.

Actually, firstly the graphics are way better. Yes, it's some Korean kid's fantasy of big titted wizard women, but they look really damn good. The combat system was superior to Archeage, although still a lot of button mashing. The world seemed decent. Also you can pay like $10 for full access to the game and no monthly subscription or pressure to pay to win, so far so good.

Quickly discovered some of the same issues, though. 1.) No player interaction, 2.) As I approached level 20, I still never lost more than 5% health from ANY fight. In other words, easy to a point of being DUMB. 3.) An incoherent quest-based system, where instead of exploring the world and making your own adventure and storyline (as 'sandbox' should be), you follow an uninteresting series of plot points that I can't even figure out, involving NPCs I don't give a rats ass about.

I finally talked to another player who informed me, "This game is just questing and button mashing until you're level 50, when it becomes more interesting and harder, and you have to work with other players for some of the content." There's a lot of people who put time into houses and trading and caravans and all that kind of shit, but the existential crisis quickly returned as I thought "What's the point of it all?". Maybe the PvP is pretty good later on, but I don't want to endure dumb quest after dumb quest with absurdly easy encounters just to decide if I like the game or not. Uninstall.

Guild Wars 2

I heard Guild Wars 2 didn't use a questing system but a "waypoint" system, so it's more focused on world exploration. Sounds interesting.

Quickly found myself actually interacting with other players in the little tutorial fight. As I entered my newbie town, I encountered a bunch of players in their underwear rolling around on top of each other as they performed an in-game "orgy". Okay, so far things seem interesting.

Going out into the countryside, I found the Waypoint system a lot better than the prior two MMOs and their shitty, incoherent, badly translated quests. You can just sort of go out and kill things and find adventure. And grouping with other players is as easy as just walking up and helping them kill things. This is so far more "sandboxy" (e.g.: EverQuest-like) than the last two.

Definitely the winner so far, but some issues: The fights are also easy to a point of being dumb. Like, where's the challenge when everything just dies in a couple clicks? What happened to being afraid of skeletons and bats?

Leaving it installed for now.

Mortal Online

The opposite extreme. I've gone back and forth a lot with MO. It's basically first-person Ultima Online circa 1999. That means insane PvP with fully lootable corpses. You get thrown into a city with no idea what to do, with limited guides or resources available online. It really is a "sandbox" for better or worse.

Dungeons are dark and scary (I don't know the extent of PvE but I am impressed by what I see). You need a team to survive, and you WILL die a lot.

The problem is like any game such as this one, it's you vs. players who devote their lives to PvP. It's the same reason I don't last long on classic Ultima Online shards. It's kind of like being thrown into prison, going up against lifers who've been there for 25 years already ahead of you. Good luck getting ahead.

So it's just dying a lot from PKs ultimately. A lot. And also a weird system of needing to pay for multiple accounts / mules to build a character up to being even partially playable.

If MO was more PvE focused it might be perfect. But I don't feel like the slaughter, so I never keep playing it.

Elder Scrolls Online

I didn't bother shelling out $60 for this. At first I was pretty excited since like many I love Skyrim / Oblivion. Then I read some answers on the ESO Reddit about what the game is like.

So it has a level scaling system. All the content is immediately scaled for your level, at all times. A player said "Because of this, there are no easy or difficult zones, it all stays the same, essentially."

WTF? That's the MMO equivalent of a communist country. As someone who's actually been to North Korea, I'm not excited to recreate it in Tamriel.

To be fair, regular ES games scale for your level, too. But it's not quite the same... there are still the weaker monsters running around, and the earlier content is leftover, but by higher levels dragons and things start swooping down, so it's a nice blend. Apparently, ESO is setup so that there isn't really progression that you can notice, it's more like an endless treadmill. In other words, you can't go back and kill mobs from your old newbie zones, because you live in a phantom version of those areas, disconnected from the other players as you fight high level monsters instead.

I was also told players hardly interact with each other, for most ESO is a single player experience. Hooray.

Consensus

Back to leveling my alt on p99 and waiting for Pantheon.
Last edited by Talgurin; 12-22-2016 at 04:45 AM..
Old 12-22-2016, 05:01 AM
Planar Protector

tagged

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

Elysium WoW servers seem over loaded with peoples if you dont mind waiting in queue when it gets real bad. Plenty of folks to group up with though and new friendly faces to explore or PvP.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pantheon is going to be terrible and you are going to be super disappointed.
1000% this

though i doubt it releases at all
Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

http://www.wurmonline.com/

Here's an actual sandbox filled with autists.

Good game; zero point to it; horrifyingly addictive. Checks all the boxes, imo.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Kobold

I had the exact same issues with BDO, though I didn't even make it to lv20. Combat felt pointless, just mash face and everything around you dies.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Fire Giant

You pretty much nailed it OP.

Archeage - tried it. Hated it. Just seemed like garbage.

BDO - looks amazing. Has some interesting elements but ultimately the combat is button mashing boredom. No holy trinity or class interdependence. Mostly single player game until 45 when the focus changes to toxic PvP that is forced on you at end game. Cash shop insanity and everything I hate about F2P/B2P games. Not wasting my time or contributing to that shite.

GW2 - tried it. Liked the leveling and game world but again..no holy trinity or class interdependence. Every class feels almost identical but with different weapons and spell effects/animations. Everyone gets self heal, utility, DPS. So fucking boring. Quit after trying to do the first major dungeon several times and it was nothing more than ppl zerging the bosses and dying and running back over and over. Worst group experience in an MMO ever. It's like everyone is playing single player games along side each other. Ironically, people try to load out their characters to form "tanks" and "healers" even though they were expressly trying to remove that requirement. Should be an indicator of how that failed miserably.

MO - never tried it for the exact reasons you mentioned. Not a big fan of PvP-centric games anyway.

ESO - played a lot of this. Game had great potential but it was changed and morphed into a pile of shit..including the conversion to B2P with more fucking cash shop bullshit. The game was actually quite hard in beta and at release so the challenge was high. It was eventually nerfed to shit and became mostly trivialized. ZOS are a bunch of manipulative, lying dbags. Don't waste your money.

Pantheon *might* suck but it's one of the few MMOs on the horizon to look forward to. Only others you might want to look into would be Saga of Lucimia (explicitly being created in the model of EQ like Pantheon and on a similar release schedule) and maybe Chronicles of Elyria (different enough that it could be interesting but also ambitious enough to fail miserably or just not meet expectations).
Old 12-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Sarnak

Ever tried Anarchy online? This has the be the MOST complex, highly customizable MMO I've ever played and has massive potential if you like to twink alts. Quests are few and far between, instead there are randomly generated mission zones you can create for yourself or a team, but they are all pretty generic - kill shit and do something trivial to complete it near the end. There's sereral dungeons to play around in too if you can manage to find them.

It's "free" to play for the classic content, but the recent expansions require a subscription. You can multibox an entire free team if you want though which makes up for the dead community in the free parts of the game.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

All of the games mentioned in the OP are fun. The first time you play them. Their replay value quickly decreases. The classic magic of EQ and UO just can't be replicated or remade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ever tried Anarchy online?
I still play AO as a froob, fixer. It's like sifi EQ. It's not for everyone though.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Banned

"existential"
Closed Thread