Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd rather sit around talking to chicks in low cut corsets than have another dude shoot balls at my face.
I agree... despite the fact that I enjoy paintball. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't hammer on LARPers too much. I used to do Ren Faires. I figured I could swallow my pride and dress up like a 16th century noble so I could get rip-roaring drunk on honey mead while surrounded by scantily clad chicks in low cut satin dresses and bar maid costumes. The more I did the circuit, the deeper I got into the sub-culture, and when I got shunned by a complete stranger because I wasn't wearing a particular pair of $400 boots, that was it for me. I stick to doing pirate-themed stuff now, maybe a couple of times a year.

Even though the average LARPer is entertaining to behold, I generally keep the ridicule to myself and leave them to their fun. The only exception to the rule are Vampire the Masquerade LARPers. They annoy the living shit out of me and I rip on them every chance I get, which is normally at conventions, though it's been awhile since I've been to one.

Azorath
Someone snubbed you for not wearing Sons of Sandlar boots (I'm assuming that's what you 'weren't wearing' because they're about that much per pair and pretty popular with people)? Wow... The last ren faire I was doing blacksmithing at I was wearing a pair of combat boots and no one said shit to me...probably because I was always within arm's reach of a hammer and red hot piece of metal...and a table of sharp, sharp knives and such.

I got out of the ren faire scene for similar reasons, though. The people are way too elitist when it comes to fashion and whatever...like a buncha New York Metrosexuals that went back in time, and they don't know how to 'shut it off' in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFail [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ennoia launches lightning bolts on his cat and likes mummy's hotpockets. True story.
I don't have a cat. I'm allergic to cats. I keep telling mom to buy hotpockets but she won't listen.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone snubbed you for not wearing Sons of Sandlar boots (I'm assuming that's what you 'weren't wearing' because they're about that much per pair and pretty popular with people)? Wow... The last ren faire I was doing blacksmithing at I was wearing a pair of combat boots and no one said shit to me...probably because I was always within arm's reach of a hammer and red hot piece of metal...and a table of sharp, sharp knives and such.
That would be them. Initially it wasn't a big deal. Most of the Ren-Heads were like "Oh, he's new." But as I got more involved in the scene I was expected to acquire more "authentic" and elaborate clothing and accessories. It went from more of an emphasis on partying and the social aspect of the event to The Tudors. If you didn't have a certain type of boots, pouches, mug, jewelery or pipe, you'd get snubbed by the sub-culture's zealots at bars and tents.

The snub occurred while sitting watching the mud show at Scarborough by a relatively older woman and her husband wearing about $5,000 worth of get-up between the two of them. Never went to another ren faire again.

Azorath
Closed Thread