Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Large Rat

Default Shadows of Luclin Your opinion?

Hello! im sorry if there was a post about this before but i didnt see one. I was wondering why most people think that this expansion was the "beginning of the end?" I was only 2 or 3 when everquest came out and i didnt start gaming til age 6 around 2003. So i never really experience everquest in its glory days. I tried the game on the live servers but i really think the game is better on these servers. So yea the question is why was this expansion so controversial?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Skeleton

I dont know. I thought everything was great up to PoK. The books were so nice to have because druids are not always avaliable to port, plus some are buttholes about it. Everythign after the PoK expansion ruined the game in my opinion.

As for Shadows of Luclin, some people think going to the moon ruined the story of the game. Some people think playing a cat as a race is stupid and ruined the game. Some people think the beastlord class ruined the game. Those are the only reasons ive heard, but I really like Luclin because it enhanced graphics, created the Beastlord and created a Bazaar instead of a tunnel.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

The beastlord class was fine.

The lore was pretty bad. A lot of people don't like the idea of going to the moon in a fantasy MMO. And the fact that the playable race were ridiculous catpeople.

Most felt the new character models were terrible. I never played with 'em and was thankful I was a shaman so I didn't need a horse.

The Bazaar, while convenient, ruined the social aspect of trading. The teleportation system was just the beginning of the instant travel of PoP.

Many didn't like having such a daunting amount of AA to grind after sitting on their character progression at 60 for so long. On the flip side, Paludal Caverns had too high a ZEM and drained the old world newbie dungeons dry.

The content was very hit or miss. The best part of this expansion was Ssra Temple which was an amazing raid zone where they got everything right. Lord Inquisitor Seru on the other hand took forever to prepare for, and the fight itself was mega long and somewhat boring.

And then at the end of Ssra Temple, one of the most amazing raid zone in EQ, you reached Vex Thal which was complete and utter shit.

It's a mixed bag. I personally think the expansion was decent for AA and Ssra alone. But they fucked a lot up. It was the first expansion that wasn't completely solid and pretty much anyone had a gripe with some aspect of it. If you weren't a high end raider, you missed the good content. If you were a high end raider, you had to deal with the shit pile that was VT.

Also the best Luclin zones such as Acrylia Caverns were criminally underutilized.

lol wut
Last edited by Mardur; 09-25-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Aviak

I hated the books, made the world a lot smaller. It made you not have to rely on help from others to travel great distances. I hated the Bazaar.. Hated the Bazaar! You lost a huge part of what EQ was when Bazaar came out. Instead of spending hours socializing and bargaining, you just threw prices up on a vendor and would be done with it. EQ is a game made where you had to socialize to survive and thrive in it. This was the beginning where you didn't have to rely so much on others. That is my opinion. I miss my Beastlord!!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Fire Giant

I liked Shadows of Luclin overall, except for one thing:

It was the begining of the end not for EQ in general..but of EQ PvP.

I think the big turning point when EQ changed was Planes of Power. I like Planes of Power except for one single zone.... Plane of Knowledge. Those lame teleportation books and the one stop shopping of PoK destroyed the feel of the entire rest of the world.

IF they implement Shadows of Luclin here, I would really like to see the two safe zones (Nexus and Bazar) not be safe, even it if means a useless bazar. Safe zones are BS on a red server.

And beastlord was a good class and meshed well with "classic" EQ. I would like to see beastlords introduced after Velious here, even if the rest of Shadows of Luclin is not.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palemoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And beastlord was a good class and meshed well with "classic" EQ. I would like to see beastlords introduced after Velious here, even if the rest of Shadows of Luclin is not.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, Luclin was also terrible for PvP.

However it was the first expansion where they really started to get class balance right.

lol wut
Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Skeleton

So let me get this straight, you would rather waste hours bargaining than purchase an item from a vendor? The whole point is to just purchase the item, if you want to bargain than send a tell to the dude. Without a universal chat, it is kind of hard to ask people if they have the item you want, and the bazaar helped with that.

As for luclin graphics, they are 10X better than the current. Right now our characters look like blocky minecraft people. You have like 5 different options to change their face/hair (not seperately). It was a step in the right direction.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Fire Giant

It lessened the need for people to interact. Essentially the beginning of the WoW era.

Bazaar and no need to use anyone's help to get around. (PoP kinda made wizards and druids less useful outside of groups)
Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Skeleton

People still used Wizards and Druids for ports. Its just the fact is fact: Druids and Wizards dont always want to port people around, especially not for free. It was helpful for people who needed to travel and didnt want to sit on their ass begging people to port them. Sounds reasonable to me.
Closed Thread