Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

the new start menu screen takes some getting use to, but when configured to have the same background as your desktop it feels more seemless and less "taken away" from your desktop experience

the rest of windows8 is really good, i don't really get the point of having a "app store" on desktop computers tho, but i like the rest of the OS and the rapid feel of everything.

the ui could use some glass tho, it looks terrible but i heard 8.1 update 1 will feature the glass "areo" interface for windows 8 but the great part is it won't have windows 7's god damn round corners (death to round things, i want it square and straight lines)
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

serves you right for `upgrading`

SUCKER!

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Large Rat

Works for me perfectly on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 (all 64-bit) on desktops. No compatibility or administrative rights required. Also installed it for others on a Windows 8 tablet just fine.

Sometimes there are unexplainable issues, and using that WinEQ or whatever program can help. You may not want to run it in a window, but it may be worth a try.

As for the start menu, how can people say it's any different? Did people actually ever rely on the inefficient start menu that much? It's not hard to use the (amazing) universal search to get whatever you want almost instantly.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Fire Giant

I was also having this problem - after about a month I got sick and tired of it (I know long time to wait lol) and I started doing some shit.
It started happening after I upgraded from 8>8.1
I think it was a video/audio driver related problem, I deleted both of them and reinstalled it and so far so good ( I hope). There may have been some conflicts with some of the drivers upon upgrading to 8.1 I'm not sure.
My main problem was that it would completely freeze, but the mouse was still responsive, but I couldn't do anything, eventually forcing me to restart/shutdown with the power button.
Valkommen Farval - 57 Epic Human Preserver
Eddey Lizzard - 53 Iksar Champion
Wiliamm Wallace - 49 Epic Barbarian Rogue
Shaman Epic Faction Service
<Europa>
Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godling [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for the start menu, how can people say it's any different? Did people actually ever rely on the inefficient start menu that much? It's not hard to use the (amazing) universal search to get whatever you want almost instantly.
i am a huge fan of the win8 metro start-overlay. the fact that you can basically add a launcher for any app/exe/webpage is such an improvement over winXP(which i love). can literally open any program by pushing the windows key(standard on most keyboards) and then just clicking the icon. anyone new to win8, push the windows button on your keyboard and then press ctrl-tab.

i will admit that configuring win8 is tough, but once you get comfortable with the registry i dont think its so bad. if i could complain about anything it would be the clunky transition to the start-overlay, but thats probably just a registry key that i need to change.

i never have tried windows 8.1. im running win8 home edition, so my OS was pretty forceful in its attempts to get me to "upgrade". good news is, once i downloaded the patcher and rebooted, i just clicked no i do not want to install and now its leaving me alone. i just dont see why i would want to add a start menu button to my already-overloaded taskbar.

if anyone has questions about win8, i will be happy to help if you PM me. alternatively, i also check the tech forums here frequently.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

one more thing, before i forget. check out the default exceptions in windows firewall when u do a fresh install. shits scary.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phacemeltar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i never have tried windows 8.1
I have never "clicked" the start button, but I highly recommend you find the time to upgrade if you use the search in any capacity. Windows 8.1 made the default search "scope" universal. This is different from before, as your search would be confined to the scope of the current section you were in.

Example: Try searching for something in the control panel or settings from the default window. It wouldn't work with Windows 8.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by labixiaoxin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dress is widely worn no matter on summer or winter and the only difference is the thickness of dress. Sweater dress is perfect for autumn to spring. Dear-Lover wholesale sweater dresses is not only sweater dresses but also cardigan, it will bring you step into a unique fashion yet warmly winter. Many store owners said that it is always the best matching with wholesale leggings and hot sale all the year.
this is great. thanks for the fap-worthy material