Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Fire Giant

bump

Zekay 60 Torpor Shaman - <Guild>
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 PM
Sarnak

EQ2 lasted about 2 weeks because WoW came out in the same month of the same year
Old 06-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargryllz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ2 lasted about 2 weeks because WoW came out in the same month of the same year
WoW is coming and it will destroy the genre. Nothing will be able to survive afterwards that doesn't resemble it, even Diablo.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:06 PM
Fire Giant

Bump

Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargryllz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SoE legit believed they could go toe to toe with Blizzard. The best part is that SoE never learned their lesson from any of their mistakes and just kept doing what they did. The top raid guild leaders of EQ1 complain about the quality of the overall game and primarily Shadow of Luclin and SoE laughs it off and dismisses them just for all of them to go to join WoW's development team and beat the shit out of SoE. I'm so glad this company is nearing its death.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Fire Giant

Bump

Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Sarnak

I don't think WoW killed EQ2. EQ2 just wasn't a very good game. It wasn't a piece of art like EQ1. It was a for profit endeavor, that incorporated a lot of untested and bad ideas from the get go. I played beta for a couple days and never had the urge to play again (and never played WoW either). From the moment i went to try to FTE a gnoll before another player and the game enforced the FTE, the immersion was gone........
Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekayy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How does the idea of a classic EQ II server sound after p99 blue reaches its final patch I know I would love something like this, I would love to hear your thought.
The notion of "Classic EQ II" seems to me akin to someone trying to talk about a Classic Ford Tempo. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Preference aside, I think you'd have to convince somebody else to make it. If the recent length of P1999 patch cycles is any indicator the folks here seem pretty burnt out.

Danth
Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It wasn't a piece of art like EQ1.
What was artistic about EQ1 outside of being a run of the mill D&D campaign?
Old 08-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxplay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry but the idea that raid caps make raids instantly "hard" is drinking the Kool aid retarded. All it does it let the developer more closely tailor the encounter to a more predictable limitation I order to tune the difficulty. You can still have easy raids and overtuned raids with raid caps. Its a set lazy control by Dev teams in order to theme park raid content

To say a game with no raid caps can't be hard is also dellusional.... On p99 it's been figured out for over a decade with prior game knowledge. But getting 80+ ppl together without wanting to throw your computer monitor out of the window is a challenge in itself
On Tarew Marr there were only two raiding guilds all the way through Luclin. I'm not even sure there were other guilds who could do NTOV when PoP came out. If you weren't in Black Company or Enlightened Dark you never seriously challenged the high end game.

After PoP was released I took a long break, about 8 months then returned. I was invited to a new guild and went to my first raid. There were 88 people. Eighty fucking eight people on a single raid. That's not a raid, that's a zerg. I remember killing Seru the first time on our server with 23. Black Company didn't have 50 full time active players in the whole guild, certainly never more the 35-40 at any given raid.

So yeah, a mechanic that cut out the zerg rush to content was a pretty refreshing thing to see in EQ2.

And yeah, pulling shit to the zone with 10kpp worth of expendables, and 18 cleric chain and 70 or more people to kill it (only after having practiced it all on your own test server) gets absolutely less than zero respect from me. The only skill displayed is the pullers and only then with a hundred clicky crutches to prop them up.
Closed Thread