Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

/facepalm. Spend 50 bucks on newegg.com and get a video card thats 10x the Ram of your current one. And yes the best investment you can make is a SSD hands down as stated 5-10 sec zone loads > anything.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Sarnak

Only problem is if they have such an old computer. They probably need a AGP video card, which are usually more expensive the PCI. Why throw money away on a dead end upgrade. Get a new machine for 200 bucks, spend 50 bucks for a video card. Done deal.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2GB of RAM with 128MB video card is probably going to bottleneck your system. Need to upgrade your video card... but I'd say if your system has a card that bad in it, than your power supply can't handle a larger video card... So you really just need a new system all together.
Thanks, sounds like I simply need a new system. This is a laptop so I have no way to upgrade that video card.

Is this a good choice for an upgrade?

http://www.amazon.com/A53U-XE2-15-6-...dp/B005NRNPCK/
Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Large Rat

Do yourself a favor, spend an extra $150 and get a laptop with a dedicated vid card with dedicated memory. I know eq will run ok without, but it is not worth it, especially if you want to play anything more recent...

Here is an example of the approximate specs you should look for,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215105

Also, if you have a decent flatscreen tv with hdmi, get a laptop that has an hdmi port, get a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and sit in the recliner and play on the big screen.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do yourself a favor, spend an extra $150 and get a laptop with a dedicated vid card with dedicated memory.
This ^. Newegg typically has better prices on laptops then Amazon I've noticed, especially if they have a deal. I would recommend heading over to newegg.com, going to the laptops sections, filtering the results by dedicated video and seeing what you can find. Shouldn't be hard at all to find something in the $400-$500 range with at least 512mb of dedicated graphics RAM, and 4gb of system memory. I helped Phisting with this just last week, and he had a thread in OT with a couple of systems in it if you want to check them out.

These will run EQ and most other games np.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Kobold

Sounds like troll.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

What year did the Titanium client actually come out? People always state they are playing a 12-year-old game, but as far as viewing it in terms of performance you have to look at the age/requirements of the client, not the intangible game-age element.

I always sort of figured it was from about 2004/2005 but I'm not really sure. And actually, I just looked it up: it came out in 2006. I don't know how relatively demanding it is for that timeframe, but it's not like trying to play Mechwarrior 3 or something. My computer is about as fast as it can be and it still takes like 30 seconds to go from the login screen to a loaded zone.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Fire Giant

fuck laptops for video games, be a man and get a desktop

also 5-10 sec load times on a solid state lol sounds kind of slow imo, your controller must suck some balls or you're running sata 2 in which case I must ask why?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Aviak

I bought a refurb Gateway with Core i3 and Intel HD4500 for video and it plays fine...not as good as my Core i7, 12GB, 3TB, ATI 6970 desktop, but playing in bed grinding out a bub? $399...there is a refurb Gateway laptop with Phenom II x4 on Newegg at $389, should perform even better than my dual core.

Pretty much anything modern, even Intel or AMD integrated graphics and the integrated graphics on Core i5 and AMD Huson (FM1 socket) chips are enough for EQ1. If you want to play MW3 and BF3 next month then go for something else...
Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

You guys would throw yourself into a hurricane if you played on my computer.

seriously