Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

View Poll Results: Most fun to play overall casting class?
Enchanter 61 46.92%
Magician 8 6.15%
Wizard 12 9.23%
Necromancer 49 37.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Fire Giant

I think people overstate how often Enchanter's die, at least soloing Enchanter's. From 57-60 on my Enchanter I spent probably 90% of my time in HS West, never died once, capped out once and gated out while a pack of mobs was AOE mez'd once which I guess could be considered a sorta-death.

I don't remember how many times total I died while xping my enchanter, but it wasn't very often and far less than I did leveling a bard or shaman, and I don't consider myself a "great enchanter" maybe above average at best. Runes/Bedlam line/AOE stuns/AOE mez make dying pretty preventable.

If you're in a group and you're 65% hasting your pet and giving them another 36% haste with Tola Robe + some proc weapons and standing 2 feet away from them then yeah you're probably going to die a lot, but there's no reason to do that when solo xping
Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For what it's worth, enchanter doesn't really come into it's own until like 40, I would say. Before then clarity regen isn't maxed yet, simple spells like roots and calms and stuns suck up a fair chunk of your total mana pool, blue con range is small so one blue con is a pushover but the next breaks charm every 2 ticks, etc. The general idea is the same from 12-60, but 40-60 (and ESPECIALLY 51+), it is much smoother and more fun, imo, than before that.

Necro is great. Similar overall fun imo to a chanter, just with different strengths and weaknesses. Feign, harmshield, lifetaps, dots? Awesome. No tash or slow and very limited hard CC? Tough to get used to after playing a chanter.

Magician is too much of a one-trick pony. They AREN'T truly one-trick ponys - pets can be used in a variety of ways and they have their nukes and rains and debuffs and fun summons and stuff. But not versatile enough to keep my attention, especially when grinding levels.

Wizards are like magicians imo. A few nice perks beyond their damage - roots, stuns, ports - but not enough to make grinding levels or medding through raids better than "almost tolerable."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've played all int casters except Wizard to mid 50s/60.

Necro is probably the most enjoyable ride to 60. Plenty of milestone levels (20, 34, 49, 51, 60) where you really feel more powerful as you gain levels and spells. Tons of utility and different ways to solo if you get bored with one style. Low cost, high reward class. Being an evil race/class opens up tons of camps and opportunities too, that other classes might shy away from. Necro lets you embrace it!

Enchanter is #2. Super strong, but dies more often than other int casters and misses some of the quality of life perks of necro (FD, CoS, heals, types of gameplay). Incredibly strong though and makes a meh group into a killing machine. The amount of attention an Enchanter takes can burn you out, though.

Magician's next. I have a soft spot in my heart for Mage as it was the very first class I rolled on live. Pets are great leveling up and pull solid damage in groups or solo. The novelty of summoned items can be pretty fun. It can get a little old though.

Wizard I wont speak on as I've only made it to the mid-20s before getting bored. Wizards seem like they fell into the same spot as Rangers in that it took until Luclin/PoP to really give the class a good definition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah. This is a huge deal for how fun playing 1-60 is, and it's something enchanter misses out on. Most upgrades in enchanter spell lines don't even get used right when you get them, because they cost too much or cast too slowly or don't really get good until your level scales them up to max % effect. Some never get used instead of the lower-level versions. Higher-level charms don't get used until well after you get them either for XPing or just for charming the toughest thing you can find. Our "end-game" spells are gimmicky or situational or both. Etc. Even going from breeze to c1 or from c1 to c2 is just a background, quality-of-life change and not a "wow, I just got awesome" change. Theft of thought is about the single biggest power-up moment in a chanter's life, and even that is a situational spell that doesn't have a direct effect on gameplay AT ALL... it just enables you to do all the other stuff you could already do for longer without ooming and having to die/end the fight/gate.

Necro spells definitely give you big steps up every time you get a new one, and that really makes the reward for hitting a new spell level incredibly satisfying.
Great insight guys that's exactly what it is, no real milestones where you feel like that last ding of level "X" gave you the next plateau with Enchanter or a new tool. And the widow for success on enchanter is very small compared to other classes and subject to RGN where you can do everything perfect and still die which I haven't really seen in other classes.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.hijiri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And the widow for success on enchanter is very small compared to other classes and subject to RGN where you can do everything perfect and still die which I haven't really seen in other classes.
While there's truth to this, I've always felt that how you prepare for the eventual RNG F U is the biggest part of being a chanter, especially if you're soloing a lot.

It's all too easy to be lazy and not fully buff, or cheap and use a rune 3 instead of a 4 or 5. That stuff will eventually get you killed.

It's easy to know "calm is awesome!" and to solo a ton of nasty stuff with it because 90% of the time it works with no hitches. But it's effort to plan for how to maximize your chances of surviving (and maybe even still winning the fight) when you aggro 4 harmtouching mobs with the first-cast calm crit fail... let alone to kinda rehearse it in your head while you're medding before a fight or something to be sure that when you need to intercept those mobs that are charging at you with your pet, target the right one for an AE mez, have the right spells loaded so after you do probably eat a couple HTs you can get your runes back up before a charm breaks and you get summoned by the two mobs still not CCed... etc.

Yes. I have no life.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Fire Giant

Even though the question is clearly about the "most fun caster" and wizard can probably not fit into that description, I still think you guys are unfair to the wizard class hehe.

First, let's debunk a myth that is 100% forumquest and 0% real p99: wizards can group absolutely no problem, nobody "shuns" on you for being a wizard. Only assholes do that, and the server has a few, and you will lose a spot in a group every now and then I guess. But to say you can't group is simply not true. And wizards in groups are not so bad if you actually try to be relevent, using all the spells you have to make a difference [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Secondly, with Jboots, Teleportation is just super fun. Come on. Wizards having Enduring Breath, Levitate, Invis, Teleports and Jboots, and maybe also Hide if you play a Dark Elf (and really why not play a Dark Elf!?) you are kings of travelling [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] and travelling is fun! also, with Stun, Snare, Root and even god forbid Yonder, you can also survive an encounter more than what you get credit for. And with the best DD in the game, with a small GCD reseter, you can usually also burn down a mob using all your mana bar, which is also convenient when travelling (not so much when XPing).

All in all my point is, the question is only about "fun", and not about power, and I think if moving around, travelling and adventuring is your idea of fun, Wizards are definitely a fair option and shouldn't be frown down that much hehe.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Sarnak

Just to play devils advocate, I don't think that necro is the fun switch from enchanter youre looking for; they dont really come into their own until later similarly.

Youll be fear kiting if not charming... yuck. Root rotting isnt an option until much later after paralyzing earth. Grouping is fine, youre basically a mage with FD and some minor utility at low lvls in groups. but the core power of the necro lvling is charming. very similar to soloing on an enchanter. some different utilities but also a limited number of zones at your disposal. Befallen/Unrest/Kaesora/ToFS/CoM/HS is basically it. So root rot guards in cities, fear kite in bad xp outdoor zones, or charm kill in a few undead only zones.

I would consider Druid if you want to do a bit of everything. Can still charm, can root rot and kite much earlier on, porting, more group roles. overall fun class, but not an INT caster.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Banned

The magician with an epic pet is real fun, but once you start going into dungeons where the pet cant kill everything you agro they become very un fun, but when youre in ones you can agro everything and the pet kills it, its really fun.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
While there's truth to this, I've always felt that how you prepare for the eventual RNG F U is the biggest part of being a chanter, especially if you're soloing a lot.

It's all too easy to be lazy and not fully buff, or cheap and use a rune 3 instead of a 4 or 5. That stuff will eventually get you killed.

It's easy to know "calm is awesome!" and to solo a ton of nasty stuff with it because 90% of the time it works with no hitches. But it's effort to plan for how to maximize your chances of surviving (and maybe even still winning the fight) when you aggro 4 harmtouching mobs with the first-cast calm crit fail... let alone to kinda rehearse it in your head while you're medding before a fight or something to be sure that when you need to intercept those mobs that are charging at you with your pet, target the right one for an AE mez, have the right spells loaded so after you do probably eat a couple HTs you can get your runes back up before a charm breaks and you get summoned by the two mobs still not CCed... etc.

Yes. I have no life.
gotta know your surroundings too, like when I was calming around HS and turned a corner and was like, wait, isnt there supposed to be a mob right here... oh shit that must mea... *Begins casting gate*

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

"Your gate is too unstable, and collapses."
Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triiz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think people overstate how often Enchanter's die, at least soloing Enchanter's. From 57-60 on my Enchanter I spent probably 90% of my time in HS West, never died once, capped out once and gated out while a pack of mobs was AOE mez'd once which I guess could be considered a sorta-death.

I don't remember how many times total I died while xping my enchanter, but it wasn't very often and far less than I did leveling a bard or shaman, and I don't consider myself a "great enchanter" maybe above average at best. Runes/Bedlam line/AOE stuns/AOE mez make dying pretty preventable.

If you're in a group and you're 65% hasting your pet and giving them another 36% haste with Tola Robe + some proc weapons and standing 2 feet away from them then yeah you're probably going to die a lot, but there's no reason to do that when solo xping
I agree, deaths are overrated.. I think.
I'm new, have no idea what I'm doing, level 32 Enchanter.
Only died twice so far since I started.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvyhle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree, deaths are overrated.. I think.
I'm new, have no idea what I'm doing, level 32 Enchanter.
Only died twice so far since I started.
I bet me and you could get kinda deep into permafrost with my 30ish chanter if youre ever interested. He's bound outside at the merchant. I don't play a ton anymore but when I do I go solo charm ice gobbies until I cant hold the spawn anymore. Gate out and do it again.
Closed Thread