Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Which caster to start with?

Hey all,

Played EQ back in the day and loved it so I'm back to do it all over again. I know I'd like to start with a pure caster but I'm looking for some opinions on which pure caster class would be best to re-learn the game.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-09-2017, 03:16 AM
Sarnak

Bienvenue !

I'd say cleric. Everyone's looking for a healer...
Catastilye - Gnome Necro - 4
Sabany - Half-Elf Warrior - 8 - < Auld Lang Syne >
Aaemo - Erudite Shadow Knight - 6 - < Auld Lang Syne >
Borbama - Troll Shaman - 2
Keibrariza - Iksar Warrior - 4 < Auld Lang Syne >
Old 08-09-2017, 03:31 AM
Planar Protector

If by caster you mean silk robe / intelligence archetype, then I suggest magician is an easy, yet fairly powerful and desired class.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 AM
Sarnak

Enchanter if you want to win the game... (seriously)

Your're not really giving enough detail here. Do you mean int caster or also priests? What about the game do you want to "re-learn"? Do you like to solo or group? Do you like pets? Do you have any gear?
Old 08-09-2017, 04:12 AM
Planar Protector

Necromancer if you're unsure...great solo ability at least and can help you to gear another class you like.

Shaman is great in groups and can solo.

Enchanter is probably a stretch to solo with without knowing their mechanics properly and only basic rules....but yeah if you put the time in and like to group that's an awesome choice <3
Old 08-09-2017, 05:07 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thank you for your welcomes and helpful replies. It sounds like I was a little vague in my initial post here so allow me to clarify what I mean.

By pure caster I do mean robe wearing caster. Magician, Wizard, Necromancer, or Enchanter. I don't have much interest in a priest class because I'm not interested in healing but do want to primarily use magic. I'm probably going to role a tranquil worshiping Erudite for my own role play purposes. Plus their high int likely makes them great casters.

My thinking is that a more straightforward class role would be best to relearn the ins and outs of the game (mechanics/what levels to hunt where/dicey areas vs safe ones) although I'm open to having my mind changed.

As far as solo/group I'd say a bit of both would be nice. Having the option to solo is good for times I can't play for long periods of time and grouping for times I can would be ideal but I'm not sure if that option exists. If that option does exist but the class is more of a challenge to learn, I'll take the ability to both solo/group over straightforward class role.

Hope that clarifies my meaning. Thanks again for all of your help, it's nice to be part of a helpful & welcoming community.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all,

Played EQ back in the day and loved it so I'm back to do it all over again. I know I'd like to start with a pure caster but I'm looking for some opinions on which pure caster class would be best to re-learn the game.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
necromancer is the easiest to solo 1-60 and is the most independent class. Almost no benefit to interacting with other players, as far as leveling efficiency. At higher levels in some dungeons, groups will want them as a DPS class for their ability to charm the undead...once you get to the raid scene your only roles would be to cast DMF on people and act as a backup mana pool for clerics ...and summon corpses

magician is easy to solo 1-50 but then 50-60 is much harder...once you get to the raid scene your only role is to CoTH people through dungeons and provide a few summoned items such as mod rods and haste masks etc etc

enchanters solo well and they are also one of the most (if not the most) highly sought after group classes because they are the best DPS and crowd control for groups at higher levels and their buffs are invaluable for the efficiency of the group. probably the most advanced of the int caster classes.

wizard is tedious to solo and undesirable for groups, stereotypes about chronic afk...the ability to teleport is very cool though.

enchanter or necromancer are the best to start with in my opinion. Even though they are harder to play than wizard and mage, I think choosing either will maximize the likelihood that your character hits 60 eventually.

If you pick an enchanter put 25 points into charisma and 5 points into intelligence
Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Fire Giant

Some serious misinformation about necromancers going on here. That being that they aren't useful in groups except for some dps. Don't know about you but any class that can heal my group mates, debuff my enemies, mez the rowdy assholes, give my cleric more mana, and feign death split mobs is welcome in my group any fracking day. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Sure everyone knows that necros shine when solo. But what people don't know is that there a god damn disco ball in a group. When played right at least.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Anyone who says necromancers aren't useful in groups doesn't know the class well or hasn't played with someone who knows the class well.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

I'd vote Necromancer, with Druid or Shaman as close seconds. All three can:
  • solo with virtually no equipment (I leveled an almost naked druid to 45 without issue)
  • are useful in groups (although Druids a bit less so)
  • have ways of farming plat at higher levels (necros and shaman can solo valuable loot and druids can join dial-a-port)
  • cover a broad spectrum of play: all three can heal, DoT, nuke, use pets, and charm (although Shamans only briefly)

All three are great up until 45/50-ish. At that point however Druids start feeling less powerful and desirable, while Shaman have to acquire two very expensive items (their epic and Torpor).

Enchanters are a good 4th option. They're not gear-dependent, they're pretty well-rounded and they are desired both in solo and in groups. However, they have a more unique play-style and can't heal, so they're maybe not quite as good for "re-learning the game". And Bard, Mage, Cleric, and others are all viable options too, they're just less self-sufficient and/or more one-dimensional than the above classes.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread