Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnoiaII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really feel like we need to be sitting at a bar having this conversation...
True [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The whole genre thing is always difficult, a lot of context needs to be provided before the term are done justice and you need to look at where the band itself is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnoiaII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really feel like we need to be sitting at a bar having this conversation...

Venom started the whole 'black metal' idea and style, which is a lot different than modern Norwegian black metal (Burzum/Immortal/Gorgoroth/Watain/etc). Hell, the Venom song 'Black Metal' sounds like nothing any from any of those bands. There's so many different kinds of 'black metal' that it's hard to keep track. Dimmu Borgir has a totally different style than Burzum, but both are called black metal, and both have a completely different sound than Bathory.
Yeah. Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Hellhammer, Venom etc. are all called 'black metal' but there is really nothing (except for maybe a few elements) that tie them together musically. That's why the 'first wave of black metal' or better said black metal of the 80s was just a term given to any band with overly satanic lyric/imagery. Destruction, who have pretty much played thrash metal their entire career, called their music 'black speed metal' on their EP Sentence of Death. Speed metal was an appropriate term for them musically (on that release) and 'black metal' appropriate for the lyrics and some of the rawness. Hellhammer was labeled death metal, black metal and doom metal but I think the only appropriate term for them would simply be 'extreme metal'. Venom opened the doors for extreme metal but Bathory, Hellhammer and other bands were the first do actually create that kind of music. All three previously mentioned genres were still taking shape and retroactive labeling just isn't accurate. Another thing to consider is that Chuck Schuldiner said his band Death played death metal following a side of metal kickstarted by Venom.
Bathory is the only band that I'd label as proto-black metal in regards to Norwegian bands that came afterwards and solidified black metal as a genre.

Black metal is a particularly difficult genre because of how it got started. That'd be a long, long conversation but to me the second wave of black metal is a seperate subgenre (with the guitar style as the most obvious element) whereas the first wave of black metal is just a superficial term that is applied to extreme metal bands and heavy metal bands alike.

I'd say the main element of early 90s black metal was the guitar style and that feeling of cold, isolated darkness. Dimmu Borgir mainly just used that guitar style and some other elements but they had an entirely different direction than most of the other Norwegian bands.

I edited my post a bunch of times (was ranting) so it might be a bit incohesive. I don't agree but I get where you're coming from when you label Blue Oyster Cult and Zeppelin etc. as true traditional heavy metal and Iron Maiden and Dio as power metal.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

I've never considered Bathory to be black metal (they don't sound like it, anyway).

Don't care for the genre much either. It's a little too crazy and there are stories of some bands actually being so fanatical or anti-christ that they (literally) murdered people/bandmates over dumb crap.

The way I see both black and death metal is there's a whole lot of really shitty "underground" bands in those genres. It's not like the gothenburg / melodic death movement where I felt like almost every band had something to offer (In Flames, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, etc).

Thrash also has a pretty good ratio of listenable-to-crap.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearyxTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never considered Bathory to be black metal (they don't sound like it, anyway).

Don't care for the genre much either. It's a little too crazy and there are stories of some bands actually being so fanatical or anti-christ that they (literally) murdered people/bandmates over dumb crap.

The way I see both black and death metal is there's a whole lot of really shitty "underground" bands in those genres. It's not like the gothenburg / melodic death movement where I felt like almost every band had something to offer (In Flames, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, etc).

Thrash also has a pretty good ratio of listenable-to-crap.
Dead of Mayhem blew his own brains out and left a note 'sorry about the mess'. Some black metal artists were given necklaces made out of pieces of his skull.

Varg Vikernes of Burzum murdered Euronymous of Mayhem after Varg received threats that Euronymous was going to kill him. Varg served his sentence and is back to making music (go figure...1st degree murder in Norway is apparently not a life sentence). The music he composed in prison, such as Illa Tidandi, is just...weird.

Varg was also serving a simultaneous sentence for burning churches with members of Hades Almighty.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Fire Giant

Ringo Deathstarr - Imagine Hearts If you like Smashing Pumpkins/MBV

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Belong Again sounds like Smashing Pumpkins with the multiple guitar layers, the guy sings like a wuss though.

Deerhunter - Desire Lines one of the best bands around right now i think

Ty Segall - where your mind goes REALLY AWESOME

Black Lips - Modern Art more "garage rock revival"

No Age - Fever Dreaming 2 piece punk rock band

Fesh & Onlys - Waterfall Psychedlic rock, kind of like the grateful dead

Tame Impala - Lucidity Pyschedlic rock FROM AUSTRALIA. The singer sounds eerily similar to John Lennon

PJ Harvey - The words that maketh murder PJ harvey
Last edited by Spud; 10-26-2011 at 12:31 AM..
Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Dead of Mayhem blew his own brains out and left a note 'sorry about the mess'. Some black metal artists were given necklaces made out of pieces of his skull.

Varg Vikernes of Burzum murdered Euronymous of Mayhem after Varg received threats that Euronymous was going to kill him. Varg served his sentence and is back to making music (go figure...1st degree murder in Norway is apparently not a life sentence). The music he composed in prison, such as Illa Tidandi, is just...weird.

Varg was also serving a simultaneous sentence for burning churches with members of Hades Almighty.

This is actually (somewhat perversely) interesting to read about.

Ohlin was born in 1969 in Stockholm, Sweden. During his childhood, he had many brushes with death. As a young child, he suffered from sleep apnea[2] and it was difficult to wake him up from it. Later, at the age of ten, he had an episode of internal bleeding when his spleen ruptured[3] after an ice skating accident.[4] He had to be rushed to a hospital, where he was for a time clinically dead. After this near-death experience he became enthralled with death and dying.

In 1986, he founded the Swedish death metal group Morbid, with which he recorded a demo tape called December Moon. Shortly afterwards, however, he decided the band wasn't going anywhere, and through Metalion, the editor of Slayer Magazine, he got in contact with the members of Mayhem. According to Necrobutcher, he initially sent them a small package inholding a demo tape, a letter, and a crucified mouse. Although Necrobutcher lost the package itself, he kept the tape which had Ohlin's contact details. Ohlin moved to Norway and joined the band in 1988.[3]
[edit] Personality

In interviews, fellow musicians often described Dead as odd and introverted. Fellow bandmember Hellhammer described Dead as "a very strange personality ... depressed, melancholic, and dark".[5] Likewise, Mayhem guitarist Euronymous once stated "I honestly think Dead is mentally insane. Which other way can you describe a guy who does not eat, in order to get starving wounds? Or who has a t-shirt with funeral announcements on it?"[6] Drummer Kjetil Manheim later likened Ohlin's personality to that of Marvin the Paranoid Android.[3]

According to Emperor drummer Bård "Faust" Eithun:

"He [Dead] wasn’t a guy you could know very well. I think even the other guys in Mayhem didn’t know him very well. He was hard to get close to. I met him two weeks before he died. I’d met him maybe six to eight times, in all. He had lots of weird ideas. I remember Aarseth was talking about him and said he did not have any humour. He did, but it was very obscure. Honestly, I don’t think he was enjoying living in this world, which of course resulted in the suicide."[7]

On the cover of Mayhem's Live in Leipzig, Ohlin printed a message which said: Jag är inte en människa. Det här är bara en dröm, och snart vaknar jag. Det var för kallt och blodet levrades hela tiden (roughly translated: I am not a human being. This is just a dream, and soon I will awake. It was too cold and my blood kept clotting all the time). In an article, journalist Chris Campion wrote that Dead may have suffered from Cotard delusion; meaning that he believed himself to be dead as a result of childhood trauma.[8]
[edit] Performances

For concerts, Dead went to great lengths to achieve the image and atmosphere he wished. From the beginning of his career he was known to wear "corpse paint", which involved covering his face with black and white makeup. According to Necrobutcher, "It wasn't anything to do with the way Kiss and Alice Cooper used makeup. Dead actually wanted to look like a corpse. He didn't do it to look cool."[8] Hellhammer claimed that Dead "was the first black metal musician to use corpse paint".[9]

To fulfill his corpse-like image, Dead would bury his clothes and dig them up again to wear on the night of a concert. According to Hellhammer:

Before the shows, Dead used to bury his clothes into the ground so that they could start to rot and get that "grave" scent. He was a "corpse" on a stage. Once he even asked us to bury him in the ground - he wanted his skin to become pale.[9]

During one tour with Mayhem, he found a dead crow and chose to keep it in a plastic bag. He often carried it about with him and would smell the bird before going onstage, to sing "with the stench of death in his nostrils".[8]
[edit] Self-harm and suicide

In time, Ohlin's social situation and his fascination with death[3] caused his mental state to worsen greatly. He would often cut himself onstage with a blade or broken bottle. However, he also tried to do so while with his friends, who would have to subdue him and patch him up.[3] Although this upset many of his friends, Euronymous became fascinated with Ohlin's suicidal tendencies—seemingly because it fit Mayhem's image—and he would often encourage Ohlin to kill himself.[3][8]

In early 1991, Varg Vikernes sent Ohlin several shotgun shells as a present for either his birthday or Christmas.[10] In April, Ohlin was left alone in Mayhem's countryside house.[3] On 8 April 1991, Ohlin slit his wrists and throat with a kitchen knife, but eventually tired of waiting and shot himself in the forehead with a shotgun using the shells sent by Vikernes. He left a brief suicide note, which apologized for having used the gun indoors and ended with: "Excuse all the blood".[11]
Dawn of the Black Hearts is infamous for its album cover, which is a photograph of Ohlin's corpse

The body was found by Euronymous, who had to climb through an open window as the doors were locked and there were no other keys to the house.[3][10] Upon finding the body, he got a camera and took several pictures of the corpse. He also allegedly kept bits of Ohlin's shattered skull.[3] His motive for doing so is unclear; Necrobutcher speculated that forcing others to see the pictures was a way for Euronymous to cope with the shock of seeing his friend dead.[3][8] After Hellhammer developed the photos, Euronymous initially promised to destroy the pictures, but ultimately didn't: He would carry an envelope with the images in Helvete[3], and eventually one of the pictures found its way as the cover of the bootleg live album Dawn of the Black Hearts, which was released in 1995.

The suicide caused a rift between Euronymous and his friends, who were disgusted by his attitude towards Ohlin before the suicide, and his behavior afterwards. Necrobutcher and Manheim said that they ended their friendships with Euronymous. Manheim later speculated that Euronymous had wilfully left Ohlin alone in the house so that he would have a chance to kill himself.[3] Ohlin's suicide was said to cause "a change in mentality" in the black metal scene and was the first in a string of infamous events carried-out by its members.[3][8]

An obituary in a Swedish newspaper stated that Ohlin's funeral was held at Österhaninge kyrka (Eastern Haninge Church) on Friday 26 April 1991 at 10:00 am.[12] He was buried at Österhaninge kyrkogård (Eastern Haninge graveyard) in Stockholm.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread