Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearyxTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He asked for rock and alternative, not metal.
Music that's humorous and still rocks is pretty alternative IMO. Even though Steel Panther is a parody they rock harder than most new bands I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopholbrook [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone know Slayer>Megadeth=Exodus>Anthrax>Testament>Metallica . Even the Metallica fans know that.
I'd say Metallica was king in the 80s. I was a gigantic fan up until their black album, which I tried really hard to like but couldn't. Megadeth was great too. I don't know any Metallica fans who also don't at least appreciate Megadeth, and none that badmouth them.

80s thrash ruled. You've got the top listed there, it's just the order that's debatable (actually Metallica labeled a thrash group is debatable itself. IMO they're just metal, not thrash).
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopholbrook [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone know Slayer>Megadeth=Exodus>Anthrax>Testament>Metallica . Even the Metallica fans know that.
Needs an honorary mention for the fathers of metal imo
Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by baub [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not thrash metal though, Iron Maiden is definitely one of the greatest metal bands of all time however.
Last edited by loopholbrook; 10-26-2011 at 12:46 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not thrash metal though, Iron Maiden would is definitely one of the greatest metal bands of all time.
Maiden is classified as 'Power Metal' along with Dio, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall etc.

Metallica is most certainly 'Thrash Metal'.

Everyone needs to watch 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey' and 'Global Metal' before you can be considered a human being.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnoiaII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maiden is classified as 'Power Metal' along with Dio, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall etc.
Iron Maiden and Dio are not power metal. They're simply heavy metal, or traditional metal, whatever you'd like to call it. They were both influential on power metal but that subgenre didn't come into existence until the mid 80s.

The chart from 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey' wasn't very good.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csihar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iron Maiden and Dio are not power metal. They're simply heavy metal, or traditional metal, whatever you'd like to call it. They were both influential on power metal but that subgenre didn't come into existence until the mid 80s.

The chart from 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey' wasn't very good.
The subject matter and song formats make it power metal. Traditional metal sounds nothing like what people consider heavy metal nowadays. Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath (though some would argue that as Doom Metal), Blue Oyster Cult are all true traditional metal. While Maiden and Dio may have been around since way before Power Metal was actually a mainstream thing, they're still considered Power Metal.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'd go

Metallica > Megadeth > Slayer = Testament > Exodus > Anthrax

That's just me though. I think MoP and AJFA are two of the best metal albums ever produced (AJFA very well might be my #1).

As a whole, Metallica was the most complete band. They get a lot of shit because they got old and went in a different direction in the 90's, but I don't care about that. I care that their first 5 albums blow away just about anything else. Before Lars was universally hated as the Evil Napster Guy and Old Mediocre Drummer Who Doesn't Play The Double Bass Live, he was actually pretty influential and highly-regarded. Lyrically they are miles ahead of Megadeth IMO - Mustaine's songwriting has always been a bit cheesy. Compare "The Mechanix" to "The Four Horsemen" - same riffs/song basically. One is Metallica's version, one is Megadeth's. One song is about the four horsemen of the apocalypse and puts a metal spin on biblical text. The other one is about a gas station attendant who wants to jerk off. Yeah...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanix
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearyxTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd go

Metallica > Megadeth > Slayer = Testament > Exodus > Anthrax

That's just me though. I think MoP and AJFA are two of the best metal albums ever produced (AJFA very well might be my #1).

As a whole, Metallica was the most complete band. They get a lot of shit because they got old and went in a different direction in the 90's, but I don't care about that. I care that their first 5 albums blow away just about anything else. Before Lars was universally hated as the Evil Napster Guy and Old Mediocre Drummer Who Doesn't Play The Double Bass Live, he was actually pretty influential and highly-regarded. Lyrically they are miles ahead of Megadeth IMO - Mustaine's songwriting has always been a bit cheesy. Compare "The Mechanix" to "The Four Horsemen" - same riffs/song basically. One is Metallica's version, one is Megadeth's. One song is about the four horsemen of the apocalypse and puts a metal spin on biblical text. The other one is about a gas station attendant who wants to jerk off. Yeah...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanix
An apt comparison, but I've not heard of anyone mentioning The Mechanix when talking about Megadeth's best stuff. I think we should compare best versus best. While I agree that Justice is prolly my #1 as well, I'll still call MoP their best effort musically. Anyone that I know that considers themselves a fan of Megadeth would say that Rust In Peace is their best. If we are gonna compare the two bands, make that the basis, IMO. On the whole, I'd give the nod to Metallica as far as the first few albums go. But RIP was fucking ballz out awesome, and I'd put it up against any metal album. Justice, Puppets, Reign in Blood, any Anthrax, Testament (Skolnick was the fucking man though), Maiden, Priest, all of it.

I don't buy into the whole metal sub-genre classification. Power metal, speed metal, thrash metal? Bah, it's fucking metal! \m/ And IMO it's not being done nearly as well now as it was back in the day.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnoiaII [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The subject matter and song formats make it power metal. Traditional metal sounds nothing like what people consider heavy metal nowadays. Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath (though some would argue that as Doom Metal), Blue Oyster Cult are all true traditional metal. While Maiden and Dio may have been around since way before Power Metal was actually a mainstream thing, they're still considered Power Metal.
Considered by some maybe but that's not the overwhelming opinion and it doesn't really fit when you look at the way it all evolved.
The bands you listed are blues-rock/hard rock or other classifications, they were only nicknamed 'heavy metal'. Heavy metal as a subgenre of rock began with Judas Priest (or in spirit with Black Sabbath. You could say there was metal before Sabbath and after Sabbath), regardless of the term 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal'. It's the same with the term 'black metal'. It didn't become an actual subgenre until the late 80s/early 90s when the Norwegian bands started releasing that type of extreme metal. Before that it was just a superficial term given to any heavy metal with satanic lyrics/satanic imagery.

Black Sabbath was a huge influence (or rather the main influence) on doom metal obviously but they're not doom metal. That subgenre developed later on.

Power metal came into existence with Helloween in 1985 pretty much. I wouldn't object to calling Dio and Iron Maiden proto-power metal though.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csihar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Considered by some maybe but that's not the overwhelming opinion and it doesn't really fit when you look at the way it all evolved.
The bands you listed are blues-rock/hard rock or other classifications, they were only nicknamed 'heavy metal'. Heavy metal as a subgenre of rock began with Judas Priest (or in spirit with Black Sabbath. You could say there was metal before Sabbath and after Sabbath), regardless of the term 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal'. It's the same with the term 'black metal'. It didn't become an actual subgenre until the late 80s/early 90s when the Norwegian bands started releasing that type of extreme metal. Before that it was just a superficial term given to any heavy metal with satanic lyrics/satanic imagery.

Black Sabbath was a huge influence (or rather the main influence) on doom metal obviously but they're not doom metal. That subgenre developed later on.

Power metal came into existence with Helloween in 1985 pretty much. I wouldn't object to calling Dio and Iron Maiden proto-power metal though.
I really feel like we need to be sitting at a bar having this conversation...

Venom started the whole 'black metal' idea and style, which is a lot different than modern Norwegian black metal (Burzum/Immortal/Gorgoroth/Watain/etc). Hell, the Venom song 'Black Metal' sounds like nothing any from any of those bands. There's so many different kinds of 'black metal' that it's hard to keep track. Dimmu Borgir has a totally different style than Burzum, but both are called black metal, and both have a completely different sound than Bathory.

While the thought is in my head- Anyone who hasn't seen Alice Cooper perform live needs to do so at least once. His show is fucking phenomenal.
Closed Thread